+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, London Underground Users: First Stations Named For London Underground WiFi Launch in Other News; Link: First stations named for London Underground WiFi launch | Transport for London ... Customers will soon be able to ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

London Underground Users: First Stations Named For London Underground WiFi Launch

Link: First stations named for London Underground WiFi launch | Transport for London

...Customers will soon be able to connect to the internet at Tube stations across the Capital...

The London Underground stations planned for installation by the end of July 2012 are:

Aldgate East
    Elephant & Castle
    London Bridge
    St Paul's
    Angel
    Embankment
    Manor House
    Stepney Green
    Archway Euston
    Mansion House
    Stockwell
    Arsenal
    Euston Square
    Marble Arch
    Stratford
    Barbican
    Finsbury Park
    Marylebone
    Swiss Cottage
    Bayswater
    Goodge Street
    Mile End
    Temple
    Bermondsey
    Green Park
    North Greenwich
    Tottenham Hale
    Bethnal Green
    Hammersmith (District/Picc)
    Old Street
    Tower Hill
    Blackhorse Road
    Heathrow T1-3
    Oval
    Tufnell Park
    Borough
    Heathrow T4
    Oxford Circus
    Vauxhall
    Brixton
    High Street Kensington
    Paddington (Main)
    Victoria
    Caledonian Road
    Highbury & Islington
    Piccadilly Circus
    Walthamstow Central
    Camden Town
    Holborn Pimlico
    Warren Street
    Canada Water
    Holland Park
    Queensway
    Warwick Avenue
    Canary Wharf
    Hyde Park Corner
    Regents Park
    Waterloo
    Canning Town
    Kentish Town
    Seven Sisters
    Wembley Central
    Chancery Lane
    Kings Cross/St Pancras
    Southfields
    Wembley Park
    Charing Cross
    Lambeth North
    Southwark
    West Ham
    Clapham North
    Lancaster Gate
    St James Park
    Wimbledon Park
    Covent Garden
    Leicester Square
    St Johns Wood
    Westminster
    Edgware Road (Circle)
    Liverpool Street

Thank Post
    Is this a good idea? Isnt it just going to promote and encourage muggings and robbery?
    Last time I was on a tube train it was rammed full of tourists and commuters without any room to stand let alone get your Tablet or smartphone out and browse the net etc.

Thank Post
    IIRC the coverage is only on the platforms and concourses. NOT on the trains themselves.
    I suspect that a alrge amount of confusion is going to arise from their own information using the term "on track" and people not realising that it isn't actually indicating "where" the service works..just the usual term for keeping a project on time
    Poor choice of words considering the subject matter.
    Last edited by JohnCondon; 8th June 2012 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    IIRC the coverage is only on the platforms and concourses. NOT on the trains themselves.
    Is it going to be a free service?

It will be interesting to have a look at statistics in about a years time after the service is introduced to compare how many smartphones/tablets have been stolen compared to before the service started.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    That's right... It won't be on trains in tunnels.

It will also only be free until November. After that tube travellers not signed up with Virgin in some shape or form will only get internet access to limited services like travel news.

I can manage without below ground... I'm not paying extra

Thank Post
    Let me think...

Crowded concourse / Platform
    Pull out Laptop / Tablet

I see 3 things happening:

1) You connect - surf away - finish put it away
    2) You connect - surf away - some prat comes stumbling past in a rush / not looking where they're going and knocks your device out of your hands before it smashes into a million pieces on the floor..
    3) You connect - surf away - some ne'er-do-well grabs your device and runs off - (you may or may not incur injuries depending on how much of a struggle you put up...

Either that or I'm getting too cynical in my old age..

Thank Post
    Not being a regular user of tubes I always want to have my wits about me. Last thing I want to do is be concentrating on my smartphone or Tablet and not knowing whats going on around me.

Thank Post
    @Gatt - Totally agree.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Certain types of websites will also be blocked...

To keep up-to-date with the roll-out, please visit www.virginmedia.com/wifi or www.tfl.gov.uk/wifi

• To power the WiFi service, Virgin Media is providing connectivity to each Underground station and London Underground has installed in-station equipment, including on-platform access points, to create a station-wide hotspot
    • Passengers will be able to get online throughout connected London Underground stations: from the ticket hall, on the escalators and on the platforms. Users will be also connected whilst on a train in a platform but WiFi will not work in London Underground tunnels
    • In line with the established industry approach to adult content on mobiles, Virgin Media will block adult sites on the new WiFi service utilising a Nominum content filtering solution
    • London Underground and Virgin Media are launching an advertising and customer information campaign throughout Tube stations and online to ensure passengers can make the most of the service. Users will be encouraged to go online to explore the service, find out how the service works and share experiences, hints and tips (Source)
    I imagine TPB will be too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Let me think...

Crowded concourse / Platform
    Pull out Laptop / Tablet

I see 3 things happening:

1) You connect - surf away - finish put it away
    2) You connect - surf away - some prat comes stumbling past in a rush / not looking where they're going and knocks your device out of your hands before it smashes into a million pieces on the floor..
    3) You connect - surf away - some ne'er-do-well grabs your device and runs off - (you may or may not incur injuries depending on how much of a struggle you put up...

Either that or I'm getting too cynical in my old age..
    I am a regular underground user and number 2 is pretty likely... Someone rushing to get on the train.

There are already loads of people using Smart phones, tablets and laptops on the underground, they just can't surf the net in the deepest part. Number 3 is no more of a problem than it is on the surface. If I'm on my own late, especially late at night, I take precautions, but I've never felt unsafe in the main parts of the underground.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think this is designed for people to be whipping out laptops. It is designed as more of an 'offload your data usage to a more suitable network' design. Especially during the olympics - millions of people accessing news on their phones in the underground is just not going to work properly.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Scenario 4: Someone knocks a device out of someone's hands and on to the track and they jump down to retrieve it, subsequently...
    4a - ...getting electrocuted and killed...
    4b - ...getting squished by a train...
    4c - ...getting a damn good bollocking...
    ...and causing severe delays to the entire line.

Handy for checking into Foursquare I guess but I am more likely to use my phone on the train then the platform as it feels safer.
    Last edited by CAM; 8th June 2012 at 12:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Is it going to be a free service? .
    It's free during the Olympics, but virgin have yet to clarify the cost after it. It could be free to anyone or only free to virgin customers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Virgin Media London Underground WiFi Review Pocket Lint

The next test was to give Skype a go. We had no problems on either device (yes we know the Lumia 800 doesn't have a front facing camera but that made it all the easier to show the trains off). Virgin Media isn't blocking the app on the two devices we tested and that means that you can now have a call with your friends from the bowels of London. This being the first day, we did get a couple of looks.

The third test, Pirate Bay. Virgin Media broadband customers have been blocked from the service and so have its Underground customers too.

Beyond that we tested surfing the web, emailing, and generally all you would do on the web for around 30 minutes. All worked fine, although we did find that after about 10 minutes the service dropped connection. Turning off Wi-Fi and then back on again fixed this and we couldn’t work out whether there was an automatic time-out feature or not, although we suspect there is. We weren't asked to sign in each time.

Performance wise we didn’t do any speed tests - really who cares - but the connection is fast enough for you to load up with new emails, watch YouTube, tweet, surf some pages, and update your RSS reader on your phone so you've got something to read on the train immediately after.

Trying to keep the connection as long as possible, we lost it at about 30 seconds into the tunnel as we left the station. Remember, the service is for platforms only at the moment.

If you find yourself on the platform needing to check whether you’ve received that email, this is going to be a godsend. The system at the moment is very easy to use and signing up involves minimal fuss. Whether that will be different when Virgin Media begins to charge for the service is yet to be seen, however for now, if you like being connected you are going to love it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    It's free during the Olympics, but virgin have yet to clarify the cost after it. It could be free to anyone or only free to virgin customers.
    Cue the demands of existing Virgin Customers insisting they get their full 120mb provision from the bowels of the captial as well

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast