+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
IT News Thread, Google Drive goes live! in Other News; Originally Posted by CyberNerd I'll try and explain in a different way. Hypothetically; suppose I developed an app. Lets say ...
  1. #46

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,706
    Thank Post
    906
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'll try and explain in a different way. Hypothetically; suppose I developed an app. Lets say a MIS app. I couldn't afford to buy or upgrade expensive pipes and equipment to host onsite.I choose appengine knowing I've got access to all google api's and their infrastructure. I'm a teacher, not a sysadmin so running on amazon isn't really an option. The MIS app really starts to take off and I'm getting hundreds of customers because the infrastructure only costs what I'm using and I'm passing these savings onto customers. Naturally the MIS app is integrating with mail,calendars,office documents and therefore drive. Did I mention I'm a teacher?, my code isn't that good and sooner or later Google need to find out why my simple database queries are thrashing their servers. ie. they have a need to use my customers data for development. Google see potential for this app and use the development they have done to make some fixes to their backend. I employ some developers and everything is back on track. Google know that if I end up getting a huge marketshare for MIS then their revenue goes up. They use my MIS app in promotions on the apps marketplace(and consequentially the customers google apps data) . Business booms. Schools get a cheap MIS, I get rich, Google get richer.
    Google App's terms are not the same as googles personal terms, this whole scenario applies to other terms which are developer terms anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    My interpretation of the paragraph everyone is in uproar about, is that it is the necessary legalspeak that allows the technicalities of the service to be implemented to allow them to carry out the actions you request.
    Yes the do say you own your content, but you grant them rights to do what they want with it as well in ways such as promotion.
    I wish they just said simply, you own your content, we will need access to it to run the service which is what you grant us rights too and no it wont appear in promotion etc.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 25th April 2012 at 07:16 PM.

  2. #47


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Google App's terms are not the same as googles personal terms, this whole scenario applies to other terms which are developer terms anyway.
    If you look at an app - say the one @DaveP linked to, it uses your data from your google drive. You can't disconnect the two in this way if the data is the same source. Appengine, docs,drive are one in the same. Any additional terms could be added by the app creator, the terms we are both taking about is the terms for drive.

  3. #48


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,900
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Rep Power
    787
    Update from Google...

    Google just sent us the following statement to clarify its terms of service:

    As our Terms of Service make clear, "what belongs to you stays yours." You own your files and control their sharing, plain and simple. Our Terms of Service enable us to give you the services you want — so if you decide to share a document with someone, or open it on a different device, you can. (Source)

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,038
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 187 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    I have 80gb of space for my picasa photos. I am using 40gb.

    When I log in to gdrive it says I have 85gb free.

  5. #50


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Well, ignoring all this talk about terms and the like, we've got a bigger problem for school use of the client tool.

    1. As stated earlier in the thread, it doesn't support authenticated proxies. That makes it a PITA for many proxy filters including Smoothwall. If you disable auth that usually means you lose the user logging for the affected domains, and given that the affected domains include "www.google.com", there's no way I'm disabling auth for that.

    2. While you can choose the sync directory, it doesn't work on network shares. It will let you pick a network share, but it will break immediately:

    Attachment 13767

    That means each user would be syncing to the local C: drive, which means it will a) fill up the C: drive very quickly on shared machines, and b) destroy your bandwidth due to the resync every time they move computers.

    -1 to Google (and everyone else really) for not considering anything other than 1:1 or consumer use, as usual.


    It works using a network share if you use \\servername\username$ rather than the mapped drive letter.

    I did have to disable authentication for google.com though, but it is still filtered.

    Some more proxy info here:
    https://support.google.com/drive/bin...4951&ctx=topic

  6. #51

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    394
    I tried the UNC path and it still crashed for me.

    Have you checked that your proxy still logs usernames after disabling auth? That's what I didn't want to lose, because I still want to know who's searching for rude words on Google.

  7. #52


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I tried the UNC path and it still crashed for me.

    Have you checked that your proxy still logs usernames after disabling auth? That's what I didn't want to lose, because I still want to know who's searching for rude words on Google.
    It worked here on XP.
    Interestingly I installed it as an admin, then put a shortcut to googledrivesync.exe in the startup directory.
    When the teacher logged in it automatically installed it to his mapped drive H:/google drive on the server.

    Proxy won't log usernames on google.com any more. An inconvenience.

  8. #53

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,172
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Proxy won't log usernames on google.com any more. An inconvenience.
    A rather large and unacceptable one for some.

  9. #54


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    having looked at some logs, it appears most of our users are being redirected to google.co.uk which does have authentication. So the majority of searches are being logged.

  10. #55
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,656
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 220 Times in 203 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    From a future design point of view it begs an interesting question of how this (and SkyDrive etc) will work across networks once Microsoft & Google sort out proper business-level clients for their cloud storage.

    As I see it you have a couple of options...

    a) keep the local sync option for each user on each PC they logon to, which if roaming with multiple users means biiiig local sync caches and needing workstations with large HDDs
    b) keep a local synced copy on a central file server but isn't that the very thing the cloud storage is meant to get rid of?
    c) use everything in the cloud in "online" mode but then that defies the point of a fast local cache and the need for always-on Internet
    d) some sort of clever partial caching system based on file usage (similar to the Office on demand download that gets the program as you use certain features)

    Seems like a matter of choosing the least bad option rather than any of them being particularly great? Or again maybe the idea of Microsoft and Google is that they keep the 1:1 consumerist model as that's where they want corporate machines to be going? That doesn't seem like a great idea from point of view of security either unless you're using Chromebooks or some other sort of managed encrypted device, which goes against the grain of BYOD anyway...
    Last edited by gshaw; 30th April 2012 at 01:57 PM.

  11. #56


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,591
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    From a future design point of view it begs an interesting question of how this (and SkyDrive etc) will work across networks once Microsoft & Google sort out proper business-level clients for their cloud storage.

    As I see it you have a couple of options...

    a) keep the local sync option for each user on each PC they logon to, which if roaming with multiple users means biiiig local sync caches and needing workstations with large HDDs
    b) keep a local synced copy on a central file server but isn't that the very thing the cloud storage is meant to get rid of?
    c) use everything in the cloud in "online" mode but then that defies the point of a fast local cache and the need for always-on Internet
    d) some sort of clever partial caching system based on file usage (similar to the Office on demand download that gets the program as you use certain features)

    Seems like a matter of choosing the least bad option rather than any of them being particularly great? Or again maybe the idea of Microsoft and Google is that they keep the 1:1 consumerist model as that's where they want corporate machines to be going? That doesn't seem like a great idea from point of view of security either unless you're using Chromebooks or some other sort of managed encrypted device, which goes against the grain of BYOD anyway...
    wouldnt the middle ground in an office be to use multiple workstations to each hold part of the whole data set (like say raid5 for hdds) so as long as enough local pcs were on (or the right ones) it would be lan storage rather than wan?

  12. #57


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    b) keep a local synced copy on a central file server but isn't that the very thing the cloud storage is meant to get rid of?
    I'm thinking this - The mapped homedrive is the google drive.
    You get all the advantages of using a share on a server, you can access that share at home, plus you don't need a shared area because shared files appear in the user folder itself.
    Looks like I'm going to need ZFS for deduping all this though.

  13. #58
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,656
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 220 Times in 203 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm thinking this - The mapped homedrive is the google drive.
    You get all the advantages of using a share on a server, you can access that share at home, plus you don't need a shared area because shared files appear in the user folder itself.
    Looks like I'm going to need ZFS for deduping all this though.
    Yup the idea of having the individual storage has appealed to me since SkyDrive first appeared; however I'm not so sure about going straight up to the web storage as it's often rather laggy when using the save feature in Office 2010 and that's only with fairly basic Word files. Dread to wonder how it would cope with Photoshop etc, hence the local sync quandary...

  14. #59


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,900
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Rep Power
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    ARGGHHH! and no linux client!
    Have you tried Grive?

  15. #60


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    I'll give it a try!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can I run both Google Apps and live@edu under the same domain?
    By edutech4schools in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th December 2010, 11:00 AM
  2. ContactPoint Child Database Goes Live!
    By Geoff in forum IT News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th May 2009, 10:57 AM
  3. Data Protection Guidance goes live
    By GrumbleDook in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 1st October 2008, 05:03 PM
  4. Advertising module goes live
    By Dos_Box in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21st February 2007, 09:09 AM
  5. Google earth goes 4d
    By Geoff in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th November 2006, 07:40 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •