+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
IT News Thread, Google Drive goes live! in Other News; Originally Posted by CyberNerd I'll try and explain in a different way. Hypothetically; suppose I developed an app. Lets say ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'll try and explain in a different way. Hypothetically; suppose I developed an app. Lets say a MIS app. I couldn't afford to buy or upgrade expensive pipes and equipment to host onsite.I choose appengine knowing I've got access to all google api's and their infrastructure. I'm a teacher, not a sysadmin so running on amazon isn't really an option. The MIS app really starts to take off and I'm getting hundreds of customers because the infrastructure only costs what I'm using and I'm passing these savings onto customers. Naturally the MIS app is integrating with mail,calendars,office documents and therefore drive. Did I mention I'm a teacher?, my code isn't that good and sooner or later Google need to find out why my simple database queries are thrashing their servers. ie. they have a need to use my customers data for development. Google see potential for this app and use the development they have done to make some fixes to their backend. I employ some developers and everything is back on track. Google know that if I end up getting a huge marketshare for MIS then their revenue goes up. They use my MIS app in promotions on the apps marketplace(and consequentially the customers google apps data) . Business booms. Schools get a cheap MIS, I get rich, Google get richer.
    Google App's terms are not the same as googles personal terms, this whole scenario applies to other terms which are developer terms anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    My interpretation of the paragraph everyone is in uproar about, is that it is the necessary legalspeak that allows the technicalities of the service to be implemented to allow them to carry out the actions you request.
    Yes the do say you own your content, but you grant them rights to do what they want with it as well in ways such as promotion.
    I wish they just said simply, you own your content, we will need access to it to run the service which is what you grant us rights too and no it wont appear in promotion etc.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 25th April 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Google App's terms are not the same as googles personal terms, this whole scenario applies to other terms which are developer terms anyway.
    If you look at an app - say the one @DaveP linked to, it uses your data from your google drive. You can't disconnect the two in this way if the data is the same source. Appengine, docs,drive are one in the same. Any additional terms could be added by the app creator, the terms we are both taking about is the terms for drive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Update from Google...

Google just sent us the following statement to clarify its terms of service:

As our Terms of Service make clear, "what belongs to you stays yours." You own your files and control their sharing, plain and simple. Our Terms of Service enable us to give you the services you want — so if you decide to share a document with someone, or open it on a different device, you can. (Source)

Thank Post
    I have 80gb of space for my picasa photos. I am using 40gb.

When I log in to gdrive it says I have 85gb free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Well, ignoring all this talk about terms and the like, we've got a bigger problem for school use of the client tool.

1. As stated earlier in the thread, it doesn't support authenticated proxies. That makes it a PITA for many proxy filters including Smoothwall. If you disable auth that usually means you lose the user logging for the affected domains, and given that the affected domains include "www.google.com", there's no way I'm disabling auth for that.

2. While you can choose the sync directory, it doesn't work on network shares. It will let you pick a network share, but it will break immediately:

Attachment 13767

That means each user would be syncing to the local C: drive, which means it will a) fill up the C: drive very quickly on shared machines, and b) destroy your bandwidth due to the resync every time they move computers.

-1 to Google (and everyone else really) for not considering anything other than 1:1 or consumer use, as usual.

It works using a network share if you use \\servername\username$ rather than the mapped drive letter.

I did have to disable authentication for google.com though, but it is still filtered.

Some more proxy info here:
    https://support.google.com/drive/bin...4951&ctx=topic

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I tried the UNC path and it still crashed for me.

Have you checked that your proxy still logs usernames after disabling auth? That's what I didn't want to lose, because I still want to know who's searching for rude words on Google.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I tried the UNC path and it still crashed for me.

Have you checked that your proxy still logs usernames after disabling auth? That's what I didn't want to lose, because I still want to know who's searching for rude words on Google.
    It worked here on XP.
    Interestingly I installed it as an admin, then put a shortcut to googledrivesync.exe in the startup directory.
    When the teacher logged in it automatically installed it to his mapped drive H:/google drive on the server.

Proxy won't log usernames on google.com any more. An inconvenience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Proxy won't log usernames on google.com any more. An inconvenience.
    A rather large and unacceptable one for some.

Thank Post
    having looked at some logs, it appears most of our users are being redirected to google.co.uk which does have authentication. So the majority of searches are being logged.

Thank Post
    From a future design point of view it begs an interesting question of how this (and SkyDrive etc) will work across networks once Microsoft & Google sort out proper business-level clients for their cloud storage.

As I see it you have a couple of options...

a) keep the local sync option for each user on each PC they logon to, which if roaming with multiple users means biiiig local sync caches and needing workstations with large HDDs
    b) keep a local synced copy on a central file server but isn't that the very thing the cloud storage is meant to get rid of?
    c) use everything in the cloud in "online" mode but then that defies the point of a fast local cache and the need for always-on Internet
    d) some sort of clever partial caching system based on file usage (similar to the Office on demand download that gets the program as you use certain features)

Seems like a matter of choosing the least bad option rather than any of them being particularly great? Or again maybe the idea of Microsoft and Google is that they keep the 1:1 consumerist model as that's where they want corporate machines to be going? That doesn't seem like a great idea from point of view of security either unless you're using Chromebooks or some other sort of managed encrypted device, which goes against the grain of BYOD anyway...
    Last edited by gshaw; 30th April 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    From a future design point of view it begs an interesting question of how this (and SkyDrive etc) will work across networks once Microsoft & Google sort out proper business-level clients for their cloud storage.

As I see it you have a couple of options...

a) keep the local sync option for each user on each PC they logon to, which if roaming with multiple users means biiiig local sync caches and needing workstations with large HDDs
    b) keep a local synced copy on a central file server but isn't that the very thing the cloud storage is meant to get rid of?
    c) use everything in the cloud in "online" mode but then that defies the point of a fast local cache and the need for always-on Internet
    d) some sort of clever partial caching system based on file usage (similar to the Office on demand download that gets the program as you use certain features)

Seems like a matter of choosing the least bad option rather than any of them being particularly great? Or again maybe the idea of Microsoft and Google is that they keep the 1:1 consumerist model as that's where they want corporate machines to be going? That doesn't seem like a great idea from point of view of security either unless you're using Chromebooks or some other sort of managed encrypted device, which goes against the grain of BYOD anyway...
    wouldnt the middle ground in an office be to use multiple workstations to each hold part of the whole data set (like say raid5 for hdds) so as long as enough local pcs were on (or the right ones) it would be lan storage rather than wan?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I'm thinking this - The mapped homedrive is the google drive.
    You get all the advantages of using a share on a server, you can access that share at home, plus you don't need a shared area because shared files appear in the user folder itself.
    Looks like I'm going to need ZFS for deduping all this though.

Thank Post
    I'm thinking this - The mapped homedrive is the google drive.
    You get all the advantages of using a share on a server, you can access that share at home, plus you don't need a shared area because shared files appear in the user folder itself.
    Looks like I'm going to need ZFS for deduping all this though.
    Yup the idea of having the individual storage has appealed to me since SkyDrive first appeared; however I'm not so sure about going straight up to the web storage as it's often rather laggy when using the save feature in Office 2010 and that's only with fairly basic Word files. Dread to wonder how it would cope with Photoshop etc, hence the local sync quandary...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    ARGGHHH! and no linux client!
    Have you tried Grive?

Thank Post
    I'll give it a try!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast