+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
IT News Thread, Google Drive goes live! in Other News; Not available on either my personal or school domain yet, looking forward to having a play with this though....

Thank Post
    Not available on either my personal or school domain yet, looking forward to having a play with this though.

Thank Post
    HAHAHA! Sorry, that's amused me on SkyDrive - I've never used it, but decided to log in to see if I had actually registered on it, so I got the "free upgrade" to keep my 25GB .. just something that amused me on topic ..

Still waiting for Google Drive to go active on my personal domain here too .. but I'm just nosey and want to know how well it works etc .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Quick qu with SkyDrive, if you fill the 25GB does it create an equal 25GB local copy?

Just wondering as I've got an 80GB SSD as my system drive and there doesn't appear an option to redirect where the SkyDrive app cache goes (defaults to C:\users\username\Skydrive)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Google Terms of Service:

Source: Google Terms of Service Policies & Principles: Google [Last modified: 1st March 2012]

For comparison some other providers' Terms of Service:

Link 2: DropBox Terms of Service

Link 3: Microsoft Services Agreement

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Whats going on, can't use it, am getting an "we will email you when it is ready to use etc blah blah message appearing"
    Its a google product so as usual people have to wait...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Google Terms of Service:

Source: Google Terms of Service Policies & Principles: Google [Last modified: 1st March 2012]

For comparison some other providers' Terms of Service:

Link 2: DropBox Terms of Service

Link 3: Microsoft Services Agreement
    Wow those terms certainly seem rather ott. I like the fact they can use your stuff to *promote* services, they can also use your data for development of new services which could mean anything have other possible risks if that means basically test data.
    Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services
    Could be the saving grace if drive has specific terms but I cant find them?

BTW if your on Google Apps you have different terms which I believe mean Google cant do these things with that data.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah Google with their public motto of we own you through you're information.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    As was pointed out, these terms are near identical to microsofts; with the exception that google have a lot of partner services who provide business and educational apps that integrate into google domains.
    It would be impossible for google or MS to have online services without being able to host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works etc etc. and it is reasonable that data would be moved into databases and 'adjusted' for those purposes.

you hereby grant Microsoft the right, to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, distribute, and display content posted on the service solely to the extent necessary to provide the service.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    As was pointed out, these terms are near identical to microsofts; with the exception that google have a lot of partner services who provide business and educational apps that integrate into google domains.
    It would be impossible for google or MS to have online services without being able to host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works etc etc. and it is reasonable that data would be moved into databases and 'adjusted' for those purposes.
    As pointed out by you they are not the same terms, the word soley limits the scope to doing things with the data necessary to providing you with the service, the data cant be used to promote or develop new services.

MS Content terms:
    5. Your content

Except for material that we license to you, we don't claim ownership of the content you provide on the service. Your content remains your content. We also don't control, verify, or endorse the content that you and others make available on the service.

You control who may access your content. If you share content in public areas of the service or in shared areas available to others you've chosen, then you agree that anyone you've shared content with may use that content. When you give others access to your content on the service, you grant them free, nonexclusive permission to use, reproduce, distribute, display, transmit, and communicate to the public the content solely in connection with the service and other products and services made available by Microsoft. If you don't want others to have those rights, don't use the service to share your content.

You understand that Microsoft may need, and you hereby grant Microsoft the right, to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, distribute, and display content posted on the service solely to the extent necessary to provide the service.

Please respect the rights of artists, inventors, and creators. Content may be protected by copyright. People appearing in content may have a right to control the use of their image. If you share content on the service in a way that infringes others' copyrights, other intellectual property rights, or privacy rights, you're breaching this contract. You represent and warrant that you have all the rights necessary for you to grant the rights in this section and the use of the content doesn't violate any law. We won't pay you for your content. We may refuse to publish your content for any or no reason. We may remove your content from the service at any time if you breach this contract or if we cancel or suspend the service.

You're responsible for backing up the data that you store on the service. If your service is suspended or canceled, we may permanently delete your data from our servers. We have no obligation to return data to you after the service is suspended or canceled. If data is stored with an expiration date, we may also delete the data as of that date. Data that is deleted may be irretrievable.
    Thats the same as what google says is it????
    Put the google coolade down, you have had enough

Regarding partners etc I would expect to be informed BEFORE they do anything like that with the data.

The MS terms allow MS for example to transcode video formats etc soley to allow you to use the service.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 25th April 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    As pointed out by you they are not the same terms, the word soley limits the scope to doing things with the data necessary to providing you with the service, the data cant be used to promote or develop new services.
    If the word soley wasn't there, you miss out on all these services:
    https://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/?pli=1
    Which are major selling points over 365.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    If the word soley wasn't there, you miss out on all these services:
    https://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/?pli=1
    Which are major selling points over 365.
    ROFL no you wouldnt, you would just be expected to agree to additional terms when you decide to share, it should not be presumed you will share. Apps run on different terms anyway so the marketplace is a mute point as we are talking about google's terms for end users. Googles marketplace stuff should all come with their own sets of terms or are you telling me googles applies over all?

What about "promote" services? answer regarding that term? or how about data being used for development without your express consent.

Are you really defending these terms?

MS terms are nothing like the google ones.

EDIT: Just a fyi Cybernerd, the terms for the general public (not apps) allow the sharing.

Source: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/t...ser_terms.html
    Your Rights

Google claims no ownership or control over any Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through Google services. You or a third party licensor, as appropriate, retain all patent, trademark and copyright to any Content you submit, post or display on or through Google services and you are responsible for protecting those rights, as appropriate. By submitting, posting or displaying Content on or through Google services which are intended to be available to the members of the public, you grant Google a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, adapt, modify, publish and distribute such Content on Google services for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting Google services. Google reserves the right to syndicate Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through Google services and use that Content in connection with any service offered by Google. Google furthermore reserves the right to refuse to accept, post, display or transmit any Content in its sole discretion.
    The nasty thing is if you grant public rights for any data google can do what they want.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 25th April 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Well, ignoring all this talk about terms and the like, we've got a bigger problem for school use of the client tool.

1. As stated earlier in the thread, it doesn't support authenticated proxies. That makes it a PITA for many proxy filters including Smoothwall. If you disable auth that usually means you lose the user logging for the affected domains, and given that the affected domains include "www.google.com", there's no way I'm disabling auth for that.

2. While you can choose the sync directory, it doesn't work on network shares. It will let you pick a network share, but it will break immediately:

Google Drive needs to quit.png

That means each user would be syncing to the local C: drive, which means it will a) fill up the C: drive very quickly on shared machines, and b) destroy your bandwidth due to the resync every time they move computers.

-1 to Google (and everyone else really) for not considering anything other than 1:1 or consumer use, as usual.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    ROFL no you wouldnt, you would just be expected to agree to additional terms when you decide to share, it should not be presumed you will share. Apps run on different terms anyway so the marketplace is a mute point as we are talking about google's terms for end users. Googles marketplace stuff should all come with their own sets of terms or are you telling me googles applies over all?

What about "promote" services? answer regarding that term? or how about data being used for development without your express consent.

Are you really defending these terms?
    I'll try and explain in a different way. Hypothetically; suppose I developed an app. Lets say a MIS app. I couldn't afford to buy or upgrade expensive pipes and equipment to host onsite.I choose appengine knowing I've got access to all google api's and their infrastructure. I'm a teacher, not a sysadmin so running on amazon isn't really an option. The MIS app really starts to take off and I'm getting hundreds of customers because the infrastructure only costs what I'm using and I'm passing these savings onto customers. Naturally the MIS app is integrating with mail,calendars,office documents and therefore drive. Did I mention I'm a teacher?, my code isn't that good and sooner or later Google need to find out why my simple database queries are thrashing their servers. ie. they have a need to use my customers data for development. Google see potential for this app and use the development they have done to make some fixes to their backend. I employ some developers and everything is back on track. Google know that if I end up getting a huge marketshare for MIS then their revenue goes up. They use my MIS app in promotions on the apps marketplace(and consequentially the customers google apps data) . Business booms. Schools get a cheap MIS, I get rich, Google get richer.

As you rightly pointed out, the difference in terms with MS are not quite the same with respect to those two points. Presumably when MS catch up with the whole cloud thing then MS will also need to change how they do things.

Thank Post
    I've just got the email and signed up and its let me download the client. Will come in handy for the odd documents I swap around and for work to save me logging on and transferring stuff off my work laptop.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Desmos Calculator and Google Drive:

Link: Desmos.com: Desmos Calculator Launches with Google Drive

Using Desmos Calculator to render an image of The Space Shuttle:

Desmos Graphing Calculator thread:

Link: For Your Mathematicians: Desmos: A Browser-Based Advanced Graphing Calculator

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's interesting how people are seemingly only reading the part of the Google Drive ToS that they want to read.

Right above the bit that everyone is focusing on, it says:

You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.
    My interpretation of the paragraph everyone is in uproar about, is that it is the necessary legalspeak that allows the technicalities of the service to be implemented to allow them to carry out the actions you request.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast