+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Blackberry withdraw from consumer market in Other News; I thought they were selling like hotcakes and the kids loved them?! Well, they did last year, or are the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blackberry withdraw from consumer market

I thought they were selling like hotcakes and the kids loved them?!
    Well, they did last year, or are the latest pop stars/rappers all using smart phones now?
    BBC News - Blackberry-maker RIM going back to its roots

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 1,362 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's all about the iPhone... Sadly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, thats a big move for them. Android is pretty strongin the market too, its not just iphone. Even Window Phoneseems to be picking up a bit, they are decent after all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Wow, thats a big move for them. Android is pretty strongin the market too, its not just iphone. Even Window Phoneseems to be picking up a bit, they are decent after all.
    Shaun has a Windows phone now and likes it a lot. And it has the benefit of not having the requirment to always be less than 5 feet from the nearest power source!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    iPhone if you want to look cool, Android if you want to get stuff done.

Blackberry (and Nokia for that matter) failed to move with the times quickly enough. As for Windows Phone, we'll see, but I think Microsoft has done too little to late (a bit like the whole Internet vs MSN gaff way back when).

Thank Post
    To be honest, having worked in supporting financial people, I'm suprised they stayed in consumer so long. Blackberry was and always has been an Enterprise device, the consumer side of things was not a good idea.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our senior staff & me have a corporate blackberries utilizing a blackberry enterprise server. Push email and push calendar is flawless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 1,362 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    Our senior staff & me have a corporate blackberries utilizing a blackberry enterprise server. Push email and push calendar is flawless.
    Because it's being used how it's supposed to be used.

Private users won't have the server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All the figures on this are a bit sus with MS being quiet about it and all the figures being released by highly biased sources from all sides, MS Haters, Symbion lovers, iOS accolytes and MS Lovers each with their own agenda. I think the main thing will be MS choosing to stick with it like the Xbox platform. Personally I think they should as it does have stuff to offer and it will become even better with time. With BB gone/going it may give them a boost too if they sort out their enterprise support a little more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's all well and good going after the enterprise (and I honestly believe that is a market space where windows phone can do well) but that isn't where the money is in the smart phone market. The amount of handsets sold to consumers (admittedly via contracts) vastly outnumbers the ones bought for business.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's all well and good going after the enterprise (and I honestly believe that is a market space where windows phone can do well) but that isn't where the money is in the smart phone market. The amount of handsets sold to consumers (admittedly via contracts) vastly outnumbers the ones bought for business.
    Agreed, and in saying that the WP devices are more consumer oriented but it would not hurt them to tidy up their enterprise support as well.

As to BB I don't really see them comming back from this, they have been put back in the business box and that box is getting smaller all the time. They may survive but their growth may be over which is basicly death fo a US company.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    All the figures on this are a bit sus with MS being quiet about it and all the figures being released by highly biased sources from all sides,
    The figures were released by Kantar Worldpanel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia who are commissioned by nokia

Thank Post
    Loving my Windows Phone - haven't come across anything it dosn't have that I accualy need/want yet

I like it over the iPhone because I'm not an apple bod but most of all I can choose the form factor.
    I like it over Android because I get timely updates as and when they are released (Microsoft has all the OEMs/Carriers locked in so that they MUST deliver the updates unlike Android).

It is very very very stable as well, the thing I like most of all is that with my 1 core 1ghz processor the phone runs faster than our SMTs Galaxy S2 with its dual core fancyness.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Even the unloved and unsupported N9 running on MeeGo and exiled to such distant lands as New Zealand and Kazakhstan and South Africa where it is sold, countries of tiny smartphone markets and low income levels
    ^ - what a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The figures were released by Kantar Worldpanel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia who are commissioned by nokia
    The article is still rather passionate in it's dislike, it does also point out that a large chunk of the problem is snotty carriers who want to bury it as it may threaten their continued abuse of their consumers. That actually seems like a good reason to be for it. If hipsters can get over the Windows brand at least. I do agree that it should have been the XPhone or something like that as it is much closer to Xbox than Windows at this point. As to Nokia they were already the last place people (here at least) would look for a smartphone as they started to loose it with their UI when things got more complicated than black and white 120x120 screens. It may be a long journy back to reclaim their mantle of go-to vendor.

BB had the same UI rot as their gear got more complex trying to keep up with consumer stuff so the simple all business model they had bloated into an ugly mess with all the features crammed into it. Its core aps also left a lot to be desired like the browser which was a no nonsence information getter rather than a flashy paddeling pool for consumers to splash around in, twitting and friendfacing the day away. I thinks its sole saving consumer feature was the good keyboard and BB chat, when people realised that existed outside BB they were stuffed.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 30th March 2012 at 12:18 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast