+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, New Low Powered High Efficiency Arm Chip Promises Internet Everywhere in Other News; Arm have announced a new high efficiency chip that will allow deviced to maintain a constant internet connection. The BBC ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries

New Low Powered High Efficiency Arm Chip Promises Internet Everywhere

Arm have announced a new high efficiency chip that will allow deviced to maintain a constant internet connection. The BBC has more here: BBC News - Arm's latest processors aim to stretch internet's reach

Arm Holdings has unveiled what it describes as the "world's most energy-efficient microprocessor" design.
    The firm says that microcontrollers based on the "Flycatcher" architecture will pave the way for the "internet of things" - the spread of the net to a wider range of devices.
    It suggests that fridges and other white goods, medical equipment, energy meters, and home and office lighting will all benefit from the innovation.

I know it has always been mentioned about fridges having network connectivity over the years, but why? Seriously, why?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 13th March 2012 at 01:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,237 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I know it has always been mentioned about fridges having network connectivity over the years, but why? Seriously, why?
    To auto order beer when you are getting low?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    To auto order beer when you are getting low?
    But that won't work unless it actually puts the beer in the fridge for you! I don't want semi-automated, I want full automation. I don't wnat it ordering stuff for me then me having to fill the fridge on my return from work, or worse my havign then to wait around for the delivery when I want to go out.
    In fact I'm struggling to think of any kitchen appliance that I'd be happy to leave on unattended, bar the fridge/freezer of course. Which I certainly don't want sending me emails whenever it feels lonely or underused (by unattended I mean leave on and for us to vacate the house for any period).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So it can let your doctor/health insurer know your actual units consumption per week instead of the figure you made up on the spot as sounding reasonable when asked?

Or, more likely, so it can advertise at you based on the current contents of your fridge. Possibly including offers for gym membership depending on how quickly food goes in then out again...

Thank Post
    We had an internet connected fridge at uni in the staff common room. It had been hacked within about an hour and had doom installed on it. This was a CS department though What more do you want from your fridge than the ability to play Doom??!

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post

Think about it, a networked fridge; you could link it in to tesco online, scan out your beers as you take them and have the fridge automatically order them when you're low!!!
    Last edited by DT2; 13th March 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Dammit... beaten to it... great minds eh!

Thank Post
    Or....
    Fridge with secure access box from outside, fridge low on stuff, orders via Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda who deliver into box, fridge picks up the products via robotic arm and sticks on relevant shelf.
    Also, you have a chip implanted in you, proximity sensor in fridge so when you walk near it and your implanted sensor recognises your blood alcohol level is too low, the fridge doors opens and a nice cool beer is handed to you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,237 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gah! Just had a use for an Internet fridge as the wife rang up to ask why there were no yoghurts left.
    If the only the damn thing had reordered them and covered up my snaffling of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a chat with some STEM Ambassadors about similar whilst at the Microsoft Partners In Learning Forum late last year.

Whilst we can joke about the shopping at home we also need to remember that some of this is also aimed at large scale usage first.

We already have temperature controlled storage (fridges keep things cool but sometimes you need it frozen, warm, hot, etc) in hospitals which have controlled access to restrict what can go in there and who can open it, whether it is stocks of medicine, stores of blood, cultures from samples, etc ... and the growing number of these devices means that rather than rely on human error and people putting the wrong item on the wrong shelf, you can have greater control through RFID, QR Codes, etc.

The idea that a chip can detect your blood alcohol level is not that different to keeping an eye on a diabetic or someone on dialysis.

When you consider commercial kitchens need to keep food at safe temperatures, have stock control and keep track of usage (including wastage) then home fridges and store cupboards can do similar. We might laugh at the idea of a fridge suggesting food for us to eat, or a cooker telling us not to eat under-cooked chicken ... but we allow websites to suggest music and videos, online retailers to suggest additional purchases. If we put the relevant parameters in then surely we can tweak it as needed (I was going to suggest TiVo as an example but I know that can go *seriously* wrong for people!)

There are lots of reasons why enabled devices (I hesitate to say intelligent) can be a benefit, but not always as replacements to common sense or personal knowledge ...

We'll just have to see where it all takes us I suppose.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread