+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
IT News Thread, BBC News BYOD Article in Other News; Spot on guys, not sure where the Thank Post button has gone but it would be getting good use in ...
    Thank Post
    Spot on guys, not sure where the Thank Post button has gone but it would be getting good use in this thread

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    I agree that BYOd would be a fantastic addition in schools - it will always be an addition, as we are duty bound to provide access to everyone. Unless the government are willing to step in again and offer free devices to the poorest students.
    I was talking with someone 'in the know' yesterday about the old Computers for Pupils initaitive. For those of you who don't know, CfP was a scheme where the governement would 'give' the poorest proportion of pupils in a school (from a given criteria) a free laptop and net connection. Apparently 85% of these are still with their original owners, which is a lot better than the 50% loss rate many estimated!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    CfP was a scheme where the governement would 'give' the poorest proportion of pupils in a school (from a given criteria) a free laptop and net connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    next year they will be required to bring in laptop/devices.
    Together these two raise one of the questions I have, namely how does this work when a pupil's parents can't afford to supply a device? I'm not necessarily talking about the ones who are identified as being in a particular group that is entitled to CfP but those that are just above the threshold for certain schemes. i.e. they don't qualify for CfP but don't have the funds to provide a device for their child / children to take to school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Apparently 85% of these are still with their original owners, which is a lot better than the 50% loss rate many estimated!
    That's a great stat - We only had 5 students (out of 200) that qualified and took up the offer here, but I'm glad to say that I've seen them in school and being used.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    Together these two raise one of the questions I have, namely how does this work when a pupil's parents can't afford to supply a device? I'm not necessarily talking about the ones who are identified as being in a particular group that is entitled to CfP but those that are just above the threshold for certain schemes. i.e. they don't qualify for CfP but don't have the funds to provide a device for their child / children to take to school.
    It also occurs to me that you may get issues with bullying. when one child has an IPAD or similar but another cannot afford one but has a cut-down imitation it can lead to issues.
    What happens when BYOD becomes the norm and a classroom lesson is based on students using their devices. What happens when young Timmys device doesnt work or requires charging? Do techies get involved in maintaining these devices? What happens when parents blame the school for devices going wrong ? "it was fine when Timmy was using it at home. Something happened in school to it so its your fault! Buy me a replacement!!"
    Cynical I know but these thoughts occur to me.

I can see benefits in 6th formers using their own devices but can also see the problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    What do you class as 'standard provision' ? 1:1 ratio - that is never going to happen in my school. But if a few 6th form classes can use their own equipment for doing what is done 99% of the time (word processing, internet) then it frees up that standard equipment.
    if you get more initiatives which drive/fund more of a 1:1 model [and we've had plenty of those over the years for them to have made some impact], in addition to students providing their own devices, and if those devices are good and robust enough for 99% of tasks then it's not so much standard equipment being freed up, but own devices becoming the standard equipment because of the flexibility. I'm not saying where anywhere near that stage at the moment across the board.

But it doesn't take much of a leap of the imagination to think we'll get to that stage, particularly if it's something that's going to be more expected of people as they go forward into college and higher ed. to bring their own devices and what with smaller smartphone type devices being ubiquitous anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    It also occurs to me that you may get issues with bullying. when one child has an IPAD or similar but another cannot afford one but has a cut-down imitation it can lead to issues.
    What happens when BYOD becomes the norm and a classroom lesson is based on students using their devices. What happens when young Timmys device doesnt work or requires charging? Do techies get involved in maintaining these devices? What happens when parents blame the school for devices going wrong ? "it was fine when Timmy was using it at home. Something happened in school to it so its your fault! Buy me a replacement!!"
    Cynical I know but these thoughts occur to me.

I can see benefits in 6th formers using their own devices but can also see the problems.
    Ah ... most of these issues are about managing perception and some common sense processes ... boring stuff but manageable and some have been covered for many years by folk at the eLearning Foundation.

The argument of "It was fine before it was on your network / in your school" argument is a faulty premise but one that has some legs so why don't we start with that one.

When you are setting up your facilities for BYOD you have to accept some ground rules, the same way any software developer does, the same way that RBCs do, the same way that the council planning teams do for roads (it will become obvious in a minute). A software developer will know the they cannot test every conceivable configuration and specification of machine to work with their software ... and so they set out a base specification and work on a reasonable to best endeavours basis around that. RBCs generally have standard network builds where they know that if people follow the guides it limits the difficulties trying to deal with if something is not quite working ... and yes, the roads are built to a standard to deal with most road traffic, but special planning is needed to take into consideration extra haulage traffic, farm vehicles, military vehicles ... and so they plan the best they can and have rules (ok ... laws) to restrict stuff (e.g. no tracked vehicles on certain roads) to help manage that.

In your school you set out reasonable expectations of what can connect and then make a reasonable attempt at checking against specific generic devices. The will not be popular with some as it could be stating that you have to have Android 2.3 as a minimum, or iOS 5, or restrict it to 802.11N connections ... but you have to set manageable targets.

At the point when someone says your system broke their machine you can have a rule that says "Yes, we will investigate and if we are found culpable we will discuss the problem but if it is found we are not culpable then we will charge you for our time". Again, not popular, but helps to stop malicious claims.

Things like this is where BYOD needs some legal advice (which has disappeared with the absence of BECTA) especially when you start considering your responsibilities about how you manage the above, as well as how you retain logs of activities should they be needed for police investigations, how you deal with reports of illegal materials on personal devices (whether breach of copyright or illegal images) and changes to your Business Continuity plans should parts of your BYOD infrastructure fail.

Whilst this might come across as FUD to some ... it isn't ... it is merely a reasonable set of areas which need to be examined and covered off prior to the project going mainstream ... the same way the school would deal with H&S issues when a pupil / student with a visual impairment starts at the school, if there is a swimming pool built, etc.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    In your school you set out reasonable expectations of what can connect and then make a reasonable attempt at checking against specific generic devices. The will not be popular with some as it could be stating that you have to have Android 2.3 as a minimum, or iOS 5, or restrict it to 802.11N connections ... but you have to set manageable targets.

At the point when someone says your system broke their machine you can have a rule that says "Yes, we will investigate and if we are found culpable we will discuss the problem but if it is found we are not culpable then we will charge you for our time". Again, not popular, but helps to stop malicious claims.
    You're quite right, of course, but even both of these actions have a cost associated with them. You need to spend resources keeping the list of supported system up to date and you need to spend resources dealing with investigations (even if your automatic default answer is 'go away, we don't care', there's still even a resource cost involved in saying that).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    You're quite right, of course, but even both of these actions have a cost associated with them. You need to spend resources keeping the list of supported system up to date and you need to spend resources dealing with investigations (even if your automatic default answer is 'go away, we don't care', there's still even a resource cost involved in saying that).
    Yes, and if you have a generic cost set against setting up the various desktops / laptops that are part of your network (for time, etc) then it might be that reduced workload here can be off-set against supporting BYOD ... as long as it doesn't mean a change involving a) too much work or b) too little work.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    That of course depends on whether or not you see BYOD supplementing your current deployment, or replacing part of it. We see it as likely to be supplemental, for a while at least.

Thank Post
    We are currently looking to BYOD and I have found its a massive task. We are considering buying a device for all students. It creates questions on ownership of the device should the school fully provide finance or should it be a part buy.But I also find it very hard to decide which platform is best suited for the need. How much control can I as an IT manager give back to the students and staff. Are these devices truly ready to be used for one to one devices. All of the high end MDM systems which are currently available cost an a fortune if you truly want the control such as application control etc.

My head has been spinning.. I would be very interested to hear how other schools are truly using BYOD.

Ross

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross2k5 View Post
    We are currently looking to BYOD and I have found its a massive task. We are considering buying a device for all students. It creates questions on ownership of the device should the school fully provide finance or should it be a part buy.But I also find it very hard to decide which platform is best suited for the need. How much control can I as an IT manager give back to the students and staff. Are these devices truly ready to be used for one to one devices. All of the high end MDM systems which are currently available cost an a fortune if you truly want the control such as application control etc.

My head has been spinning.. I would be very interested to hear how other schools are truly using BYOD.

Ross
    I've not heard of any one to one deployments featuring non 'idevices', not saying they don't exist just not come across any case studies. There are however an increasing number of iPad case studies. Deployment model will vary depending on ownership, but whether school owned or pupil/parent owned, they are still essentially single user devices with a nod to a hybrid model of deployment where the institution can have some control over install of common apps, pushing down settings and so on. As you say a Lot of the mdm solutions are pricey and paid app deployment is an issue for us in the uk, so do you invest in mdm if you can't utilise volume purchase codes? Hopefully apple supplied tools will develop to offer more in the way of management over wireless rather than via USB synching. That's assuming you don't want to limit IT's control only to the availability of settings and wireless portals for onsite specific settings. I can see an argument for saying that pupils should take 'ownership' of the device with guidance on areas such as esafety and IT ensuring the pupils can access resources and use the devices in the correct way in school.

Thank Post
    I am writing an article on BYOD and would be interested in any experiences, especially in the UK - tim at itwriting.com if you can help.

It is not all iDevices - my son has his own Windows netbook which he uses at school, it is literally a BYOD because we paid for it!

Tim

Thank Post
    we support byod to an extent, we encourage teachers to use their own devices, facilitating where budget allows with things like mac-vga convertors etc, we allow sixth formers wireless access, map them printers and drives/access to hap - this is particularly prevalent within media/ICT where the students are taking work home and lots of it. It makes more sense to keep the files on one device and facilitate them using it in school. From a slightly selfish (from the point of view of the college) it saves us gigs and gigs of sapce!

Thank Post
    Blended aproach = yes yes yes.

Knee jerk 1000 BYOD devices with only Cloud storage and get rid of all your workstations and servers? Your gonna end up in trouble at some stage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast