+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Symantec advises disabling pcAnywhere software in Other News; BBC News - Symantec advises disabling pcAnywhere software Oops!...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts

Symantec advises disabling pcAnywhere software

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Fantastic fail. Now, will you actually be able to disable it? Because if it's anything like trying to uninstall their damned AV, your best bet is to burn the machine!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    This is interesting because if you have WCBS PASS as your MIS, pcAnywhere is probably installed on your MIS server for use by WCBS remote support. As far as I am aware there has been no warning or guidance from WCBS on the matter, despite the massive DP risk if the flaw were to be exploited.

If this affects you, I would recommend stopping and/or disabling the pcAnywhere service immediately.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    LosOjos was partly correct: it was mentioned to me yesterday that uninstalling most versions of pcAnywhere will break DCOM, which can screw up all sorts of server tasks including Remote Assistance, Microsoft Data Protection Manager, and even Symantec's own Backup Exec software.

Enterprise Support - Symantec Corp. - Uninstalling pcAnywhere disables DCOM Service

And people ask me why I refuse to use Symantec products!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    From ComputerWorld...

Symantec has retracted its don't-use-pcAnywhere recommendation to owners of the remote access software.

Last week, the company took the highly unusual step of telling pcAnywhere users to disable the program based on a 2006 source code leak and this month's claims by members of Anonymous that they were mining the stolen code for vulnerabilities.

Symantec spokesman Brian Modena declined to declare the now-patched pcAnywhere as safe to use when asked that question multiple times, but hinted that the fixes the company has released were sufficient.

"At this time, Symantec recommends that customers ensure pcAnywhere 12.5 is installed, apply all relevant patches as they are released, and follow general security best practices," Modena said in a pair of emailed responses to questions about the software's safety.

Thank Post
    Hmm, I wouldn't have though that anyone would pull that sort of a stunt with Pcanywhere, especially since it's supposed to come from a company that makes security software for computers.

I guess it good that they fixed that security leak or at least supposed to have fixed it, but I for one wouldn't go back to using that Pcanywhere thing anytime soon. Far better and safer remote access software than this one.

Btw, if we're talking about Pcanywhere I keep hearing about some audials anywhere app that's supposed to give you access to your files anywhere or something like that. Is it got anything at all to do with Pcanywhere?

Wouldn't wanna start anything from Symantec anytime soon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmetom View Post
    I guess it good that they fixed that security leak or at least supposed to have fixed it
    I don't think many people are aware there is a patch.

Symantec's pcAnywhere Woes May Be Worse Than We Thought PCMag

The security software vendor said at the time that customers who patched their software with those updates should be protected from possible attacks stemming from the hackers' access to the source code, which security experts warned could include remote commandeering of vulnerable computers.

But weeks after the patches were issued, Rapid7, a Boston-based a vulnerability management and penetration testing company, reported that it had identified between 150,000 and 200,000 PCs running unpatched versions of pcAnywhere after scouring the Internet this past weekend.

Between 3,450 and 5,000 of those systems were also running point-of-sale software that's often used by small businesses in computers tied to cash registers, according to Rapid7.

Meanwhile, an anonymous security researcher posting on the InfoSec Institute website reported Wednesday that even patched versions of pcAnywhere may be vulnerable to attack.

The researcher claimed that "core functionality in the product has and continues to exist today from the same code used for years," adding, "[f]rom the included design plans for 12.5 (current shipping version) there were no plans for an entire code base rewrite, and developer resources were kept to the same budgeted man hours for the previous release. 12.5 is simply a continuation of this same code base."

The InfoSec poster went on to issue a chilling warning for users of even a patched version of the software.

"For hackers, the sky is the limit as hackers now have all of the juicy details of the pcAnywhere product as well as accompanying source code for all related components," the anonymous researcher wrote. "PcAnywhere is now pcEverywhere."

Thank Post
    Yeap, read about that also.

I think they didn't bother to put the info about the pcanywhere patch somewhere very accessible, I would have put it in bold on the start page so everyone can see it and take care of the security threat asap.

But on the other side, it also might be the fault of the users who simply ignore the patches and recommendations to upgrade pcanywhere immediately.

Btw , figured out what's the deal with that audials anywhere app I was asking about, if anyone has use for it.

It's some new personal media cloud, it's got nothing to do with pcanywhere and looks like it also comes with an invitation system that'll allow you to invite friends to browse your media collection, stream, download media from you and stuff like that.

Haven't tried it yet but I figured maybe someone else will have some use for this sorta thing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread