+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Apple on major education push in Other News; From The Register: Apple launches three-pronged education assault ? The Register The only problem I see with this is that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

Apple on major education push

From The Register: Apple launches three-pronged education assault ? The Register

The only problem I see with this is that every time Apple 'does' education it is very US centric. What I mean by this is that Apple US gets involved very heavily and directly, or so I've been told when questioning people in the states, whereas over here, and possibly in large chunks of the rest of the world it is left to resellers to do the 'push'. It's a bit like if Microsoft went 'We have all of these fantastic new education toys to play with' and then you not being able to speak to them directly about it.
    After all, did anyone see Apple at BETT (the worlds largest education technology show)?
    With Windows 8 looming I suspect there will be many waiting to see what Microsoft are to deliver to the slate environment.

Thank Post
    we've already had some of our more proactive (read: pushy) suppliers on the phone about this. It's not very welcome, we have enough problems with our windows network without adding the apple complication!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apple have always been very US-centric with everything they do anyway ... Education is no different.

Apple were not at BETT as they don't do trade shows but they do work to make sure ASEs, AASPs and ADEs are there, either on Apple branded stands or with other resellers / partners. This year there were 2 lecture theatre areas in the National Hall, one with Toucan, AT, etc ... and one with KRCS and others. Both had a steady stream of lectures and training.

Apple are also had an Education meeting last Thursday but I have not had chance to catch up with anyone who went to see what was said.

There is also likely to be another Apple Leadership Summit in a few months to sit down with schools ...

The UK and EU education teams can be difficult to get hold of and work with ... it is easier to work with ADEs and ASEs ... but they are also happy to take the kudos when schools are doing well.

One of the things which worries me about the new push around textbooks / resources is that schools *have* to make resources available to a wide range of devices and whilst the iBooks 2 stuff and iBooks Author is an interesting app ... the restrictions of how / where the books can also be published *if you are charging for them* means that should schools want to generate some cash from selling to other schools then that is a problem. A fair few things are hidden in the EULA for iBooks Author and it is unlikely that these will get spotted by most folk and they might not realise what they are getting themselves into.

Worst case it could be that the enhanced books get removed from the iBooks store? Or will Apple take it further?

And they are expecting individual staff / teachers to agree the EULA? What happens if a school deploys the app on desktop machines and the teacher publishes materials for a charge but has not agreed to the EULA? There just seem to be a few too many things which are missing yet ... so my advice to schools is to still use things like Calibre to generate eBooks and then allow them to be downloaded into whatever eBook library you use.

I have to ask our legal folk about it anyway as I am also about to sign up for iTunes U as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apple were not at BETT as they don't do trade shows but they do work to make sure ASEs, AASPs and ADEs are there, either on Apple branded stands or with other resellers / partners. This year there were 2 lecture theatre areas in the National Hall, one with Toucan, AT, etc ... and one with KRCS and others. Both had a steady stream of lectures and training.
    That's like us saying 'we sent 10 people to BETT and placed them at the top corner of each hall'. Great for claiming 'but we were there' but useless in the real world. Everyone who visited BETT knew where to find Microsoft, Dell, Lego and practically everyone else, but if you wanted a quick face to face chat with Apple (or even one of their representative companies) then you had no chance unless you knew exactly who it was before you left for London. They should go back to having the big joint stand under the Apple banner next BETT. At least people would know where to find them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    KRCS, Albion and Western had this stand
    https://www.krcs.co.uk/pages/news?21...B-17FCC0D9CB79

The other stand was even more overtly Apple branded IIRC (will try and find a photo).

Some companies will work with resellers / partners at events rather than being there themselves. It can be frustrating when this happens as it introduces a middle-person who can get in the way, but it can also be a boon to talk with someone who is actively involved in working with the kit.

What a lot of people never realised is that the majority of folk who used to populate the Apple stand at BETT where actually ASEs, AASPs and ADEs ... not Apple staff. If you wanted something demoed you were generally passed onto one of these, in the same way that a raft of the people on the Microsoft stand were from schools (and many are members here of course) ... and Adobe used to do the same with getting school staff, educators, trainers and resellers doing the stand for them too.

Apple are just a bit more extreme than others ...

Personally I would like to see them back there running a stand ... but until something changes with their attitude to trade shows and the direct relationship with sectors (notice how the iBooks stuff is a lot of work with the publishers in an established market and not with schools to establish need) then I don't think we will see a change. The UK market works differently to US and so if they want business over here on a large scale then they have to change.

Thank Post
    We would love to go down the ipad route but as we cannot afford a laptop for every pupil then we would need profiles, and ipads don't support profiles. Bring on the androids!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The announcement that they want to put an iPad in every child's hands is merely a repeat of the famous Bill Gates point on putting a dersktop into every home (which he did a damn good job at!)

There is something very corporate about apple at the moment, ironic given the position most of their products sit in the market, but this is an odd direction, particularly as there is no media or real drive other than this article...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think it could work but believe they need to create a sub 200 iPad. With the iPad priced at 399 for the cheapest version I believe their is the risk of a two tier education system.

I played with the textbook generator today and was mightily impressed. Kids were too in my GCSE class.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    One of the things which worries me about the new push around textbooks / resources is that schools *have* to make resources available to a wide range of devices and whilst the iBooks 2 stuff and iBooks Author is an interesting app ... the restrictions of how / where the books can also be published *if you are charging for them* means that should schools want to generate some cash from selling to other schools then that is a problem. A fair few things are hidden in the EULA for iBooks Author and it is unlikely that these will get spotted by most folk and they might not realise what they are getting themselves into.

Worst case it could be that the enhanced books get removed from the iBooks store? Or will Apple take it further?

And they are expecting individual staff / teachers to agree the EULA? What happens if a school deploys the app on desktop machines and the teacher publishes materials for a charge but has not agreed to the EULA? There just seem to be a few too many things which are missing yet ... so my advice to schools is to still use things like Calibre to generate eBooks and then allow them to be downloaded into whatever eBook library you use.
    Regarding the EULA, Apple really are trying to dominate what you do with their product. I'd have thought if most people actually read the EULA, they'd disagree and use something else;

Apple's mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement | ZDNet

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    Regarding the EULA, Apple really are trying to dominate what you do with their product. I'd have thought if most people actually read the EULA, they'd disagree and use something else;

Apple's mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement | ZDNet
    I have a serious of questions to ask Apple (or get ASEs / ADEs to ask) around this ... from reading the EULA and also from commentary from others it seems that the iBooks Author EULA is saying that if you use that as a publishing tool you are locked in to a single publishing route, i.e. the iBooks Store. If so then you have to follow their publishing rules and, as with various publishers, there is a commission to pay if the work produced earns money. I can understand that ... but I want a cast iron guarantee that if I create an ePub item in other products, using something like Calibre, and then create an equivalent version using iBooks Author ... and I sell one via my own route and the other via Apple (with them taking their cut) I am not going to have my iBooks version removed because I am selling an equivalent item via another route ... even though it was not created via iBooks Author.

I have other questions related to how enforceable the agreement is if the end user has not clicked to accept but it has been done on their behalf by their employer? And what happens with children? Are they in a legal position to agree to something like this? Remembering that some of this will vary from US to UK (and other countries) ...

As a tool ... iBooks Author is pretty good and I like some of the extra stuff it adds to eBooks I have been working on, but it is only as good as the materials you are working with. With a bit more time and effort I think that the interactivity could be added to the standard ePub file ... remembering that it is really just HTML and CSS.

Thank Post
    Taken from an article on the Telegraph website;
    "You can create an ebook with the same content, using any other kind of software and sell it in any store you like. But if you create an iBook using iBooks Author and decide to sell it, then the iBookstore is your only option."

Full article here - iBooks Author: Apple doesn't want to own your book - Telegraph

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Schools are not going to be able to fit many interactive textbooks on a 16GB iPad if they are all as big as Pearson's Biology book. This is 2.77GB!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Schools are not going to be able to fit many interactive textbooks on a 16GB iPad if they are all as big as Pearson's Biology book. This is 2.77GB!
    At nearly 1800 pages, students will only need the 1 book for their entire school life...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    students will only need the 1 book for their entire school life
    The book above is designed for grade 9-12 students (13 to 18 year olds). What about all of the other subjects?

While some iBooks will be smaller than others, I can't see a 16GB iPad having enough capacity to last for a students entire school life (5-7 years in total).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    While some iBooks will be smaller than others, I can't see a 16GB iPad having enough capacity to last for a students entire school life (5-7 years in total).
    Indeed - I think that's what a school's VLE is for. You can host any material you like there, you just need to make sure it's viewable on the iPad. Simply have an eBook authoring application on your VLE and you avoid having to give Apple any money or control over your content.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast