+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Samsung to discontinue netbooks in Other News; As of next year and focus on 'ultrabooks' (which are still too expensive IMO). But it's from a blog site ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Samsung to discontinue netbooks

As of next year and focus on 'ultrabooks' (which are still too expensive IMO). But it's from a blog site so may just be hot-air. It's a short article from The Register so I'll re-post it here:

That's it for netbooks then - so far as Samsung is concerned.
    The South Korean giant is to phase them out next year in favour of 11.6in laptops and Ultrabooks, French-language site Blogeee.net claims
    In an email purportedly sent by Samsung to its retail partners, the manufacturer said: "Following the introduction of our new strategy in 2012, we [will] stop the product range in 10.1in (netbook) in Q1 2012 for the benefit of ultraportable products (11.6 and 12 inches) and Ultrabooks to be launched in 2012."
    The netbook market has slumped over the past couple of years, in no small part thanks to the arrival of sleek, slim tablets. Larger laptops have slimmed down, but most 10in netbooks remain as chunky as they were when they began appearing in the mid-2000s.
    If true, Samsung's news will come as a further blow to Intel's attempt to establish its Atom processor as the chip of choice for low-cost, high-portability PCs.
    Intel's Atom processor and chipset business revenues plunged 32 per cent on year to only $269m in Q3 2011. Almost all of the Atoms Intel sells go into netbooks.

Samsung to 'exit netbooks' ? reghardware

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I hope not as they are the only ones I have found that stand up to kids well and perform at it. Will have to ask my supplier what they have heard on this as they sell a lot of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Dell are going to do the same as Samsung...

Dell quits netbooks, says 'thin and powerful is where it's at' The Verge
    While very few are still buying netbooks, many manufacturers have continued to release the small Intel Atom-powered computers (see Asus, Toshiba, etc.). However, Dell isn't going to be one of those companies. After noticing today that its consumer Inspiron Mini netbooks were no longer available on its website (thanks Liliputing!), Dell confirmed for us that it is no longer making consumer netbooks (the business-aimed Latitude netbooks are still available on Dell.com). Not only are the Inspiron Minis being put in the grave, but the company confirmed for us that it will not be releasing new netbooks based on Intel's forthcoming Cedar Trail platform. In other words, it is done with the category.
    I wonder if Acer will be the only company left making netbooks by the end of next year?

Acer Says It Will Continue Making Netbooks PC World

Thank Post
    :sob: :sob:

Netbooks have increased IT availability 2-3 fold in my primaries and they could buy many more for same money and the battery life means they can be used in every lesson if needed.

if anyone in the industry reads stuff here - WE NEED LAPTOPS WITH BATTERY CAPACITY TO LAST ALL DAY THAT DON'T COST 600!! - JUST MAKE A 300 ONE AND CHARGE 20 MORE AND STICK ONE IN!!!!!!
    Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Hope not
    Both my schools equipped with NB30s and N145s - good, powerful and robust little beasts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I meant to post this when I heard back from people, I spoke to my main Samsung supplier who got on the phone to Samsung straight away, and they are going to reduce the Netbook range as its quite large at present and will probably focus on just one or two models and specs, before the current shortage of Samsung Netbooks in the channel they had 5 models and 10 different variants on offer from what I saw at one point when looking for some, but they are going to cut it right back.

They do feel the Ultrabook is where it will go in the future though but the Samsung Netbook will be around for the future just not as flexible in spec as it can be at present from what I can see.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread