+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
IT News Thread, The official Microsoft Windows 8 Engineering Blog in Other News; Originally Posted by Arthur The ribbon can be minimized and if it's anything like the one in Office 2010 will ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The ribbon can be minimized and if it's anything like the one in Office 2010 will adapt to the width of your monitor e.g

also...
    Good.

Don't you think that 10% figure would be a lot higher if the command bar in Windows 7 was actually more useful than it currently is? Rather than click the Organize menu and select Copy, most people (as Microsoft have shown) would rather use the keyboard shortcut or context menu instead. If the command bar had buttons for Cut, Copy, Paste etc. obviously more people would use them.
    I don't know. This could be Microsoft thinking "Hey, no one uses Feature X. Let's make it more in their face so they have to use it." But I think the key is identifying why users haven't used that. Is it because it's not usable? Because there are already quicker/better ways of doing it that users prefer?

Without further information, you can interpret that chart either way

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    You mean after almost 20 years they will finally get the estimated copy time etc correct ?
    That's no fun......
    RATS! Now I won't be able to tell people that the job will be done in a few microsoft minutes.. GRR

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a nice new entry describing how W8 will handle ISO and VHD images here: Accessing data in ISO and VHD files - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    Apparently it will let you mount ISO's as a virtual CD/DVD drive within explorer, which should be great for gamers (hopefully, copy protections not getting in the way!), and with VHD's it will mount the file as a new hard drive where you can add and remove files etc at will

A video of this in action is here: http://media.ch9.ms/ch9/cf43/1d0000b...HD_low_ch9.mp4

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I like the fact if you have multiple file transfers/copies going on you can pause one or more to prioritise which data gets done first. Handy for server migrations where you could pre-stage multiple file transfer operations and run them one at a time insted of having to go back and start each job afreash.

There is a nice new entry describing how W8 will handle ISO and VHD images

I swear they are just nicking long standing features from Gnome, why not just annoy everyone entirely buy putting Unity on it !

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    True, but Microsoft do have to pay developers to add this functionality, and it does pay for them to wait to see what features people want than actually developing stuff that does not get used. Like Windows ME for instance

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Short sighted blog tbh, who out there knows you can access the file menu via alt button?? most find ways around their lack of knowledge but it doesnt mean it doesnt need improving. Also its very lazy reading when the person doesnt even notice the fact ALL of it can be made smaller/customised. Fail blog, fail...

Having bigger finger-friendly buttons in Windows Explorer will make it much easier for tablet users though. The less you have to use drop-down menus and the on-screen keyboard the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I don't think trying to have one interface that caters for both traditional navigation and tablet use at the same time is a winning solution. It's either tablet or desktop - both are very different interfaces.
    Yeh it makes it far easier and W8 has 2 interface modes as well so it makes sense to at least make the *normal* mode a little more easier for touch use too.

I think the ribbon is a good idea, most that use right click HAVE to or dont know about the other menu's and buttons. Having a proper toolbar is good for those without windows skills and as long as you can make it small it also means those power users are catered for too.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 1st September 2011 at 03:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I don't think trying to have one interface that caters for both traditional navigation and tablet use at the same time is a winning solution. It's either tablet or desktop - both are very different interfaces.
    According to this entry yesterday, you can easily swap between the two interfaces. This comment from the blog is quite intersting:

And if you don’t want to do any of those “PC” things, then you don’t have to and you’re not paying for them in memory, battery life, or hardware requirements. If you do want or need this functionality, then you can switch to it with ease and fluidity because Windows is right there. Essentially, you can think of the Windows desktop as just another app.
    Designing for Metro style and the desktop - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

And to me, that sounds very handy indeed. Carry a small wireless keyboard in your bag and you can use a tablet as a laptop as and when you need it (as long as you have a stand or something to prop it up against. I think having both interfaces is a big plus TBH as it makes it far more flexable, and currently tablets are pretty awkward to use as anything but an information consumption device. In fact, try using a tablet on a train to do email or any kind of detailed inputting task. It's the most un-fun thing you can do!!

Thank Post
    According to this entry yesterday, you can easily swap between the two interfaces. This comment from the blog is quite intersting:

Designing for Metro style and the desktop - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

And to me, that sounds very handy indeed. Carry a small wireless keyboard in your bag and you can use a tablet as a laptop as and when you need it (as long as you have a stand or something to prop it up against. I think having both interfaces is a big plus TBH as it makes it far more flexable, and currently tablets are pretty awkward to use as anything but an information consumption device. In fact, try using a tablet on a train to do email or any kind of detailed inputting task. It's the most un-fun thing you can do!!
    Interesting. MS are finally copying the modularity that you get with Linux based systems - being able to load different desktops (or no desktops) depending upon what you are doing - unity for tablets, gnome for desktops, cli for servers. MS catch on quick (20 yrs later....)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    TBH, and in defense of Microsoft here, they have not as yet needed more than one interface. Explorer did it all for desktops and notebooks, and becasue of the way AD worked, implementing GP's for multiple interfaces could have been, I suspect, a nightmare. It's only now with the advent of tablet and more portable computing devices they see the need for this. And lets face it, how many Linux users here actually use more than one interface?

*Prepares himself for an ear bashing from Linux-multiple-desktop-using-fanbois.

Thank Post
    It is pretty handy to have the option of multiple desktop environments, especially if you want to have the same base image on multiple machines with different capabilities. It's good to see MS have copied some of the better features from linux, apparently they are also having a YUM/APT clone 'marketplace' for software installation. All they need to do now is drop the price to £0, release it all as opensource and bring in revenue from support contracts.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tbh for all the MS bashing this is what apple has done with the launchpad etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Tbh for all the MS bashing this is what apple has done with the launchpad etc.
    I wasn't bashing MS!?! I think it's good that they recognise how much of a serious contender linux desktops are. All the copies of features that dos box listed are genuinely good.
    I only moan about windows because it doesn't have the capabilities of an O/S that I'm used to, and it looks like Win8 will fill some of the deficiencies that it has as an O/S

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't bashing MS!?! I think it's good that they recognise how much of a serious contender linux desktops are. All the copies of features that dos box listed are genuinely good.
    I only moan about windows because it doesn't have the capabilities of an O/S that I'm used to, and it looks like Win8 will fill some of the deficiencies that it has as an O/S
    Hehe redacted, out of interest whats your O/S of choice?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Hehe redacted, out of interest whats your O/S of choice?
    Depends on the situation. I've got several machines between home and work. Day to day is mostly Mint or debian, RedHat Enterprise on servers, Android for calls and XP for games (soon to be 64bit windows7 thanks to comments on another thread)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the situation. I've got several machines between home and work. Day to day is mostly Mint or debian, RedHat Enterprise on servers, Android for calls and XP for games (soon to be 64bit windows7 thanks to comments on another thread)
    Its OT but I think I may just have to build a Mint VM for a gander, never played with that distro yet. RedHat expensive for schools? never seen pricing at all thb.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast