+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
IT News Thread, Samsung Galaxy Banned in Some European Countries in Other News; Samsung have been found to have infringed some Apple patants in a Dutch court and a ban on the device's ...
  1. #1

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,787
    Thank Post
    572
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    626

    Samsung Galaxy Banned in Some European Countries

    Samsung have been found to have infringed some Apple patants in a Dutch court and a ban on the device's sale there starts in 7 weeks acccording to this BBC article: BBC News - Euro ban for Samsung Galaxy phone
    As Samsung imports it's devices into Holland as the companys gateway into europe I wonder if they can simply switch countries? Mind you, this comment may put a dampener on this:

    The interim injunction prohibits sale of devices by three of the company's Dutch subsidiaries to the UK, France, Germany, Finland, Ireland, Lichtenstein, Luxemburg, Monaco, Sweden and Switzerland.
    I wonder how long it will be before Apple get to feel some bad patant karma seeing as there looks to be a huge mobile device patant ruck about to go down in the very near future, and this may be just the beginning.

  2. #2

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,786
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Rep Power
    348
    I think this will all end up with the big players apple, motorola (soon to be google) samsung htc etc all going into some big agreement licensing each other to use each others patents. but there will be many months/years of suing each other before that happens

  3. #3

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,922
    Thank Post
    1,332
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    593
    I wonder what works out cheaper ... the legal teams dealing with suing other companies for patent infringements or the legal teams who work on the licensing arrangements?

  4. #4

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,631
    Thank Post
    890
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I think this will all end up with the big players apple, motorola (soon to be google) samsung htc etc all going into some big agreement licensing each other to use each others patents. but there will be many months/years of suing each other before that happens
    Do apple actually license any? normally all you hear about with them is to stop others or prevent being sued themselves. Look at the plug they patented, never licensed.

  5. #5

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,786
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Rep Power
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Do apple actually license any? normally all you hear about with them is to stop others or prevent being sued themselves. Look at the plug they patented, never licensed.
    no but when the others turn on them - for example the main reason google purchased motorola (way over priced) was to access the library of patents they have. so at somepoint one would assume that google will turn around and try and sue apple which will get to the point where they are all suing each other for patent infringment which will mean that they turn around and start either licensing each other for the ideas or draw into an agreement whereas apple can use idea a that google (motorola) have patented and vice versa

  6. #6

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Apple are pathetic - they would try and patent a beige box given half a chance.

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,619
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 777 Times in 604 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    As someone who switched to a Galaxy S2 recently (from an iPhone 3G), I was surprised by just how much Samsung have tried to make the phone and accompanying packaging look like an iPhone.

    *ponders retraining as a Sysadmin-Solicitor combo specialising in patents*

    I mean, that patio doesn't get paved with gold all by itself...
    Last edited by pete; 25th August 2011 at 10:40 AM.

  8. #8

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,919
    Thank Post
    131
    Thanked 287 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    As someone who switched to a Galaxy S2 recently (from an iPhone 3G), I was surprised by just how much Samsung have tried to make the phone and accompanying packaging look like an iPhone.
    It looks like it, in the way its sorta square, black and simple.... but it just looks like a large version of the F700 which came out in Feb 2007 (and shown to the public in 2006).

    Apple are so pathetic.

  9. #9

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,922
    Thank Post
    1,332
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    593
    Apple do licence patents from others, as other licence patents from Apple.
    Nokia and Apple settle patent row | Technology | guardian.co.uk

  10. #10

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,631
    Thank Post
    890
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Apple do licence patents from others, as other licence patents from Apple.
    Nokia and Apple settle patent row | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    In that example Apple paid nokia because they were infringing. It doesnt mention the other way around, no doubt the payoff included immunity for Apples patent arguments.

  11. #11


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,619
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 777 Times in 604 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    It looks like it, in the way its sorta square, black and simple.... but it just looks like a large version of the F700 which came out in Feb 2007 (and shown to the public in 2006).

    Apple are so pathetic.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. Aside from the Samsung branding, the Galaxy S2 packaging was identical to the packaging for my iPhone 3G. Same dimensions, material, black plastic phone cradle, sticky wrapping around the phone.

    Regarding the phone itself? Dunno, haven't played with an iPhone 4, but Samsung are consciously playing up the "like an Apple product" angle in terms of presentation.

    That doesn't excuse Jobs and Co for being a shower of compulsively litigious tards however.
    Last edited by pete; 25th August 2011 at 02:07 PM.

  12. #12
    AyatollahPies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    900
    Thank Post
    48
    Thanked 105 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    I await the ghost of Stanley Kubrick to sue Apple for blatantly copying the spacepad as seen in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, and re-branding it as an ipad.

  13. #13

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,787
    Thank Post
    572
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I await the ghost of Stanley Kubrick to sue Apple for blatantly copying the spacepad as seen in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, and re-branding it as an ipad.
    Or Arthur C Clarke who wrote the book and was technical advisor to the film. Interestingly as Clarke had described the use and funcionality of satellites so well back in the 40's no one was allowed to patent them. I wonder if he did the same for the spacepad? Now that would prove interesting!

  14. #14

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,919
    Thank Post
    131
    Thanked 287 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. Aside from the Samsung branding, the Galaxy S2 packaging was identical to the packaging for my iPhone 3G. Same dimensions, material, black plastic phone cradle, sticky wrapping around the phone.

    Regarding the phone itself? Dunno, haven't played with an iPhone 4, but Samsung are consciously playing up the "like an Apple product" angle in terms of presentation.

    That doesn't excuse Jobs and Co for being a shower of compulsively litigious tards however.
    Mine was on orange, so just a small black box about the size of the phone with a little extra height. Nothing on the box at all.

    Heres the F700. Chicken or the egg?

    samsung_f700_cellular.jpg

  15. #15

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,991
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    I wonder what patents they are going after them with now, 'use of the letter a', 'a device with a screen'. The corts just need to ban Apple imports for six months for wasting everyones time which may teach them some manners.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Engadget:Samsung Galaxy S unlock codes stored in phone
    By JJonas in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31st August 2010, 07:40 AM
  2. Which one to keep? N86 or Samsung Galaxy Portal???
    By bensewell in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th July 2010, 09:52 AM
  3. Samsung Galaxy Portal Drivers - Windows & 64-Bit
    By gtg93 in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th May 2010, 10:59 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20th March 2008, 01:46 PM
  5. Music Appearing in some all users folders
    By disinfo in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st November 2006, 07:27 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •