+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
IT News Thread, Flippin' Cisco kills the Flippin' Flip in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Hmmm, they're a bit expensive at £200 which is pretty much double what the flip camera's cost. Anything similar for around £100?
    How about something like the Sanyo CG20 HD - Sanyo CG20 HD Digital Video Camera +4GB SDHC +Soft Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still couldn't fault the Toshiba HD cameras at 80 quid a shot. Far better than iAnything let alone the flips.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Awww i like my flips and i havent had trouble deploying the software.

Glennda where you talking about the Digi blues or the Flips?
    i was talking about flips - tbh i never purchased them so never looked to see if there where battery versions (but teachers wouldn't think of things like that) it was one of those things where i got given a box and no idea they where even considering them (as my £1000 in the budget to get new cams had been scrapped) i got given a box of 12 of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Personally I'm going to be looking at the Kodak Playsport line to fill the gap left by Flip. Prices on Amazon look good and they are water resistant as a bonus! Anyone have any experience with them yet?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the Flip kit ... it just worked. Never had any problems with the software either.

It is worth saying that in the 2 mobile tech toolkits we have out at schools (6 iPads, 6 iPod touchs, 6 Flips and 6 netbooks) the iPod touches have rendered the Flips redundant. They may cost more but they also do a heck of a lot more ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,075 Posts
    I want a FlipLive!

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...h-of-the-flip/

Only a month ago, I was briefed by a Flip product manager on the newest model, which was to hit the market yesterday. He showed me a graph of the Flip’s sales; Flips now represent an astonishing 35 percent of the camcorder market. They’re the No. 1 bestselling camcorder on Amazon. They’re still selling fast.
    But there’s a second part of the tragedy, too, something that nobody knows. That new Flip that the product manager showed me was astonishing. It was called FlipLive, and it added one powerful new feature to the standard Flip: live broadcasting to the Internet.

That is, when you’re in a Wi-Fi hot spot, the entire world can see what you’re filming. You can post a link to Twitter or Facebook, or send an e-mail link to friends. Anyone who clicks the link can see what you’re seeing, in real time—thousands of people at once.

Think how amazing that would be. The world could tune in, live, to join you in watching concerts. Shuttle launches. The plane in the Hudson. College lectures. Apple keynote speeches. Or your relative could join you for smaller, more personal events: weddings. Birthday parties. Graduations. First steps.

And the FlipLive was supposed to ship yesterday. April 13. The day after Cisco killed the Flip.

Nice.

Thank Post
    The Flip cameras were a good idea, nice and simple for users as all they needed to do was hit the big red button to record without worrying about other settings.

Software was a right pain as it forced you to use their stupid exe even though there was an MSI in the package?! Was wondering if there was a way to hack that so it would remove the need to run setup but in the end just chucked it on our image. The software didn't like network locations either although we tricked it with a little registry hack

Seems a bit dumb that they're killing it off completely, unless they were making a loss on each hardware unit sold? Kodak used to do something similar (Zi6 iirc?) so maybe that's the closest thing as a replacement?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've gotta ask - why did people need to install software? The cameras just acted like memory sticks, why did everyone install the software? I've not installed it on any machines at our place!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I've gotta ask - why did people need to install software? The cameras just acted like memory sticks, why did everyone install the software? I've not installed it on any machines at our place!
    I tried and gave up - In the end I just got the student which made the internal video system (like youtube) to add something in so that you can upload files to it and then download the converted file in any format.

Which means they can then import them into Windows Movie Maker

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's what I wondered. There are a lot of departments using them here for various things and I have never installed software for them.

Thank Post
    Mainly for the quick conversion button to put the videos in a standard format so we can edit with Movie Maker (the XP version doesn't like the codec Flip use for the HD files)

Forgot to mentioned we have the Flip Mino HDs so that might explain why

Thank Post
    We have a few, but I wasn't a huge fan myself.
    If people are looking around for an alternative, I'd suggest the Sony Bloggie - have a few of these too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've had a Sony Bloggie for a while now and think it's quite a solid bit of kit, recently (on the budget side of things) heard reasonable reports on the Kodak ZM1, check out the advertising section for spec and details.

Mark

Thank Post
    Loved em for PE & dance. No software needed for the ones we got. No batteries either, just hook up to a usb socket and they charged. Hope someone does buy the division.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12