+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Linux coming pre-installed on Dells? in Other News; From Slashdot : When Michael Dell took back the reins of he company he founded, one of the first things ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Linux coming pre-installed on Dells?

From Slashdot:

When Michael Dell took back the reins of he company he founded, one of the first things he did was to launch the feedback site Dell Idea Storm. Following up on the recent Slashdot discussion of the early results of this experiment — an overwhelming expressed desire for pre-loaded Linux — Dell reports on what it plans to do with this feedback. Quoting:

"[W]e are working with Novell to certify our corporate client products for Linux, including our OptiPlex desktops, Latitude notebooks and Dell Precision workstations. [On the question of which distro to choose:] "[T]here is no single customer preference for a distribution of Linux... We want users to have the opportunity to help define the market for Linux on desktop and notebook systems. In addition to working with Novell, we are also working with other distributors and evaluating the possibility of additional certifications across our product line.
    It'll be interesting if they pull this off. However I'm rather sceptical that they will. What does everyone else think?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Linux coming pre-installed on Dells?

Anything but Novell :cry: But it's a step in the right direction, and hopefully other OEMs will follow suit.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Anything but Novell :cry: But it's a step in the right direction, and hopefully other OEMs will follow suit.
    it doesn't really matter as long as its free.

Novell SuSE would be a good choice as its a pretty simple flavour and as it's a large company, joe public would trust it more.

Personally I'd go with a Debian based one, KUbuntu maybe

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm worried that Microsoft will strong arm them into changing their mind. Most likely by threatening to stop the discounts on Windows software they get as an OEM partner.

Also Dell might shoot themselves in the foot by doing something silly. Like offering Linux for more money that the equivalent Windows Vista enabled PC

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

I doubt Microsoft would do that though as Dell is the largest home PC supplier in the world. It therefore has a lot of weight behind it when discussing things like price on OS licenses. To put it bluntly, at the moment Microsoft has nothing to worry about if Dell offer Linux across the board as the demand for it will be restricted to hobby linux users and the few savvy home users that exist.

Things will be different if Dell actually try to advertise it as a feature/push it to people. That might upset things a bit but I doubt they are going to do this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

t'll be interesting if they pull this off. However I'm rather sceptical that they will. What does everyone else think?
    Good luck to them I say. What I would like to see is a large company giving the end user the option of what OS to install when they first fire off the PC.
    A nice menu, with various Linux Options, and of course the MS route. Explain to the user the Pros / Cons / Costings etc and they make their choice.
    With todays large HDs having a seporate partition for housing these is not a problem.

Thank Post

MS was able to strongarm Dell in the past, and if Dell were to stop offering windows then their market share would plummet. If MS object, Dell will probably cave

i like matt's idea though, have a PC with both windows and a linux option, and you get a nice little GUI asking you which one you want and firing off the installer for it.

Thank Post

webman wrote:
    Anything but Novell But it's a step in the right direction, and hopefully other OEMs will follow suit.
    You dont like Novell, webman - any reason why? (I'm Interested)

Thank Post

I don't really know what to think about this. Whereas it is a good idea, giving the user a choice of OS rather than having MS pushed upon them; MS is still the "standard" for what most people will be running at home/in the office so surely thats what should get taught?

Tom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy
    You dont like Novell, webman - any reason why? (I'm Interested)
    Lot's of people don't like Novell atm. Mainly because of the MS/Novell Patent deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell#...with_Microsoft

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

tscnmuk: Mainly because of the MS deal, and secondly I just prefer Debian-based, Eg. Kubuntu. There was an article about SUSE in a recent LXF which highlighted the latest problems with GNOME over KDE, packaging problems and multimedia playback.

Thank Post

I'm not trying to say I don't like Linux webman, I actually quite like it, however (and yes, this is due to my own lack of knowledge), at the moment its just a toy to me.

I know I will probabaly get pounced on now by linuxy people but please understand that I am not knocking it at all as an operating system. I actually run an Ubuntu box to play with as I do honestly want to further my knowledge. The only thing I would say about OEM's putting Linux on a machine from factory is that I can see people playing with it for half an hour before putting a dodgy copy of xp on.

Tom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Not knocking you at all

Linux isn't for everybody, but a choice is better than no choice at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tscnmuk
    MS is still the "standard" for what most people will be running at home/in the office so surely thats what should get taught?
    The only reason for this is because of Microsoft's monopoly and their 'deals' with OEMs (the way I understand it is - if an OEM preinstalls anything other than Windows, then said OEM has to pay MS more money. Please correct me if I'm wrong )

Thank Post

Webman - From what I gather reading on here ( and tend to be very wrong so excuse me if I am ) your school uses predominately linux based clients? How do you find this to manage/support. I have always been very microsoft biased (not that I like them, but I just am).

Also can I put a shout to anybody who happens to be running a similar setup in the Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire area as I genuinely would like to see a system of this nature in action. Linux is often something I have contemplated but feel it is outside my knowledge by too much to sucesfully impliment in a working enviroment.

Thank Post

For your bog standard office monkey, who only uses Word and Excel (and somehow earns more than me), a locked down version of linux running OpenOffice or MSOffice with CrossOver Office should suffice and safe the company thousands of readies.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast