+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Microsoft To Be In Court Again Over Unfair Practices? in Other News; Link: Trend Micro raises a stink over Security Essentials via Windows Update...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Microsoft To Be In Court Again Over Unfair Practices?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    As free anti virus solutions already exist and this software is optional, I don't really see how Trend Micro has a leg to stand on? I can fully understand why they're unhappy because it's doing them out of business, but surely that's just the way the world works?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    As free anti virus solutions already exist and this software is optional, I don't really see how Trend Micro has a leg to stand on? I can fully understand why they're unhappy because it's doing them out of business, but surely that's just the way the world works?
    I thought they were trying to make a similar point to the one made about browsers. Internet Explorer is included in Windows but there are other [free] browsers out there. My preference is to not use Internet Explorer. However I guess the difference in this latest little spat is Security Essentials is free and [some of] the alternatives are not.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I thought they were trying to make a similar point to the one made about browsers. Internet Explorer is included in Windows but there are other [free] browsers out there. My preference is to not use Internet Explorer. However I guess the difference in this latest little spat is Security Essentials is free and [some of] the alternatives are not.
    Plus, Internet Explorer was installed without confirmation when the dispute was made (hence the browser choice update), security essentials isn't...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Typical, bad software trying to compete on a legal platform rather than a technology one.

Those that can, do. Those that can't, sue.

Just ask the Opera team about that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,998 Posts
    If the ComputerWorld article is correct, it would appear that Trend Micro can't even get their facts straight regarding MSE...

Trend Micro's response shows a poor understanding of the action Microsoft has taken. MSE is being offered not through Windows Update, but through the related Microsoft Update service. Microsoft Update, which updates a broad range of Microsoft products and occasionally offers new ones, requires a deliberate opt-in: it isn't enabled by default. Moreover, MSE will only be offered to customers who do not have an existing antivirus product installed—and in any case is offered as an optional download.

Though an antirust suit over an optional download that is only offered after enabling an optional feature seems unlikely, that competitors would even raise such concerns shows Microsoft's uniquely peculiar position in the industry. The third-party software vendors are more than happy to insist that Windows needs antivirus software and that using a Windows machine without such software is dangerous—but if Microsoft agrees with their assessment and tries to improve the situation itself, they threaten to cry foul. (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I can fully understand why they're unhappy because it's doing them out of business, but surely that's just the way the world works?
    It's going to do them out of even more business now. If people didn't know about MSE, they certainly will now. I imagine Microsoft are really pleased - lots of free advertising for thier free anti-virus.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Typical, bad software trying to compete on a legal platform rather than a technology one.
    Exactly. Trend Micro have a habit of doing this. They tried to kill off ClamAV a few years ago with bogus patent threats. It is pretty obvious they only care about making money, rather than producing better software. If MSE wasn't any good, would they still bother complaining?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread