+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
IT News Thread, Man jailed over computer password refusal in Other News; Originally Posted by bladedanny But if acused of illegal activity surely you'd want to put as much evidence of your ...
    mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    But if acused of illegal activity surely you'd want to put as much evidence of your innocence forward.
    Assuming you trusted the police. Plenty of people have good reasons to distrust the police in general, specific police forces and specific police officers.

Such reasons could include the killing of members of the public without the police officer(s) concerned being tried for muder; bungling the investigation of a high profile case; failing to respond to 999/112 calls; being so busy trying to "frame" someone that that an actual criminal is ignored.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Sorry, just sprayed my keyboard with coffee laughing at that.
    A lot of police are very nice, honest people, trouble is there are a lot of vindictive in the police as well.
    There's also the issue of criminals who are also police.

Thank Post
    You should never talk to the police, or volunteer information. The more your give the more they can use against you. There has been a fair bit of research into this.

Police powers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    Assuming you trusted the police. Plenty of people have good reasons to distrust the police in general, specific police forces and specific police officers.

Such reasons could include the killing of members of the public without the police officer(s) concerned being tried for muder; bungling the investigation of a high profile case; failing to respond to 999/112 calls; being so busy trying to "frame" someone that that an actual criminal is ignored.
    I don't trust the police, due to experience of every officer I've dealt with being a liar.

I've been lied to to try and get me to delete photographs,
    I've been lied to about why our car was stopped,
    I've been lied about in a court by a police officer,
    I've seen a friend lied about by a police officer in court,
    I've seen a police officer randomly throw a man to the ground and kick him, then arrest him and then lie about it on the report,
    I've been followed based purely on my beliefs, with no prior criminal record,
    I've had my house raided on flimsy evidence (ie. someone with a beard was seen at our university near an office which was ransacked, and considering I both studied there and worked there, and was verifiably elsewhere at the time, there was no evidence).
    I've had university documents destroyed with the goal of 'getting a fingerprint', rather than simply asking if they belonged to me.

The list could go on and on.

I also don't trust judges, either at lay-judge level, district judge level or any other. They aren't willing to stick their neck out, they are often biased, and prejudiced (again based on experience).

So, why should I ever trust the police with any information?

Thank Post
    You can modify truecrypt so that if you enter the wrong password (just once) it destroys all the data. You can also assign multiple user's \ passwords so that each user views different files when decrypted and there would be no way to prove how many users there were.

Thank Post
    Have they checked underneath his keyboard for a sticky bit of paper with his password on. Or tried passwordpasswordpasswordpasswordpasswordpasswordpa ssword

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In general I do trust police ...

I trust them for getting a friends bike back when I was 14.
    I trust them for helping get a thug put away who stabbed a friend
    I trust them for taking the time to stop me and remind me to put my lights on when riding my pushbike so I don't get hit by cars
    I trust them for catching the drunk-driver who hit me in a hit and run when I was 11
    I trust them for dealing with the idiot boy racers who live round the corner and who had been racing along our narrow round with cars parked either side

I will hold the accountable for their actions, but will provide any information they require for their investigations.
    I accepted at an earlyish age that *I* am the one they tend to stop and ask questions of, even when out with one of my brothers ... a 6' 5" white Rasta who has been in a few too many fights for him to be called a 'looker' anymore. I just have one of those faces. They are doing a job, and random stops are part of it. I rarely get stopped by the same copper twice ... and if I do I have a laugh about it with them.
    If they want to see my family tree ... they are welcome to. The pictures of squirrels are amusing and the leaves very pretty. I will ask them afterwards why ... and if there is not a reasonable answer they I will follow it up.

I will not allow them to criminally damage my property.
    I will not allow them to use excessive force, but I will not give them a reason to have to do so.

I have been stopped and breathalised randomly ... on a pushbike.
    I have been pulled over for speeding ... on a pushbike.

I have seen police brutality, but I have also seen it dealt with and the git thrown out of the force.
    Believe me when I say some of the things coppers hate most are crooked cops, bullies, violent idiots, and small-minded, self-interested, egotistical gobshites with no common sense.
    Since the start of the 60s the forces across UK have grown institutionally racist, sexist, homophobic and narrow-minded. The emphasis has been to protect 'The State' and I know folk that got out for that reason ... but most people I know are there to protect and serve the public ... and they try not to be personal about stuff ... and try to apply common sense ... but sometimes it is a case of how the are told to 'enforce the laws' when laws change is poor.

I will always give police the benefit of the doubt, the same way I would a teacher in the classroom, a firefighter, an airline stewardess ... people are asked to do a job, and whilst I might not always agree with what they are doing or how they go about it, I know that there are ways and means to hold people accountable and I will use them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    lol from slashdot:

I think I'll make my passphrase "I don't remember". That should make for a fun interview.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567