+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
IT News Thread, Man jailed over computer password refusal in Other News; Originally Posted by CyberNerd but they do have a legal right to ask for your passwords, seize computers and monitor ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    but they do have a legal right to ask for your passwords, seize computers and monitor online activity.
    I'm not disputing that, not to say that its something I agree with.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    My first guess would be Truecrypt. I know that can encrypt drives on boot, not sure how secure it is though?
    If he was using truecrypt he would have claimed 'plausible deniability'and he wouldn't have gone to jail:
    Plausible Deniability

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Er, 50 characters. It may take em sometime to brute force that one Heres hoping he's just used alphanumerics to save them a bit of time...
    surely they would go to the maker of the stick and they would have the way to open the encryption ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Because they have no legal right to ask me that. Surely you can see that letting them walk all over everyone is a bad thing?
    Have you seen this before? If not I suspect you'll enjoy it

YouTube - The Police - Your Freindly Guides

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If he was using truecrypt he would have claimed 'plausible deniability'and he wouldn't have gone to jail:
    Plausible Deniability
    Not necersarrily. If the password is on boot and he didn't use the hidden volume feature then he is denying is password. If he used a hidden volume then the question becomes why not give out the non hidden volume password?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    Whilst the guy probably has something to hide, This reminds me of the term that REALLY sticks in my throat.
    " If you have nothing to hide then whats the problem"?
    When I suggest that the said person gives me their bank acount details for me to look at their bank acount transactions as 'if you have nothing to hide...'
    I'm a believer in the "nothing to hide" philosophy and wouldn't have a problem with showing you my bank account. All you'll see is my salary going in and purchases at Tesco for food and Shell for fuel!

The amusing thing is that if / when the police do crack his password and find something, he'll probably get more jail time if there's anything suspect!

Thank Post
    I don't like the idea of someone snooping around my personal things and wouldn't like to disclose my password to anyone. But if it was a case of proving my innocence I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    More importantly he is going to jail and key here is that as not charged with sex crimes so will go to 'normal' prison. It will of course become known that the police looking into a crime to do with "child sexual exploitation" and child sex offenders in a normal prison (non-maximum that hold child sex offenders) do not get it light.

Russ

p.s

Edited to make more sense..
    Last edited by russdev; 6th October 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: as messed the english right up ;)

Thank Post
    I'm not quite sure on the exact details of the RIPA act for this, but if the police have to get approval from the courts first in the same way they need for a search warrant, then I don't have a problem with it and he deserves to go to jail. If the police can just demand the password without it being approved by the courts, then that's just plain wrong and I would be kicking off about it as well.

JPS
    Thank Post
    So, forgive my lack of knowledge/experience on these things. I have just used TrueCrypt to encrypt a partition on my laptop. I have set aside about 10Gb for this, where in my case I plan to store some data that is school related. When I log into windows xp, the encrypted partition is not even visible. I have to run TrueCrypt and then mount the device, then enter the password.

So if I had something to hide, whatever it may be, legal or illegal, I would presumably reveal my windows login credentials and nothing more. Everyone else then being none the wiser of my 10Gb of 'private' data?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    @Domino why hide information that is not incriminating? I don't see the point. I mean, if you were some sort of secret agent on a mission then fair does but when you're just some average Joe walking along a street.
    What a predictable comment. No wonder we are ending up with new laws getting passed left right and centre to keep us controlled.

The 'if you dont have something to hide argument is a load of crap'
    Why should I provide any information to the police. Why should they know where I am going, what I am doing, why am I taking photos in a town centre. What the hell does it have to do with the piggies?

Thank Post
    but they do have a legal right to ask for your passwords, seize computers and monitor online activity.
    I dont care about their legal rights. I do care about by human rights and privacy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I'm a believer in the "nothing to hide" philosophy and wouldn't have a problem with showing you my bank account. All you'll see is my salary going in and purchases at Tesco for food and Shell for fuel!

The amusing thing is that if / when the police do crack his password and find something, he'll probably get more jail time if there's anything suspect!
    I respect you opinion but totally disagree with it.
    ANYONE might have something to hide, but that does not mean it is illeagal.
    An example (only example!!).
    suposing that the guy was a secret cross dresser. And that even his partner didn't know.
    If that guy worked in a very 'homophobic' place, then he would want to keep that very secret. BUT it is not illeagal.
    as I say just an example.
    I have had that where some one has said 'if you have nothing to hide..'
    And then they have gone through my stuff and been VERY ashamed after.
    I am not going to say what was there, but I was feeling very down after a lot of deaths in the family, and had written some 'letters' to myself to express my dispair.
    That is something I WANT secret from everyone. AND THAT IS MY RIGHT.
    No crime committed not even a moral broken. but my privacy wrecked.
    Alan
    Last edited by salan; 6th October 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post

With people like you around, no wonder our freedoms are being eroded so quickly...

Thank Post
    "What a predictable comment. No wonder we are ending up with new laws getting passed left right and centre to keep us controlled."

On the other hand, if people just obliged, and were polite in their response then there would be no need for new laws to be passed.
    Just because they are wearing a police uniform does not mean they are human beings trying to do their jobs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast