+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, School techy jailed for abuse images in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

School techy jailed for abuse images

From The Register: School worker jailed for abuse images ? The Register

A secondary school IT support worker has been jailed for 32 months for possessing and making thousands of child sex abuse images and videos.

Oliver Corbett, 25, from Dishforth, North Yorkshire, was sentenced at York Crown Court yesterday. Corbett was arrested in September 2009 and had 62,000 images and 1,585 videos of children, the court heard.

He was charged with 22 offences, but none related to children at either of the schools where he worked as a support assistant. The investigation was sparked by intelligence from the Metropolitan Police.

Sergeant Geoff Crocker said: "Corbett was an IT expert, the schools were presented with a clean cut and very talented young man with no previous convictions or history. The way the computers were set up and the storage of the information made it unlikely that his family would have discovered his collection.

"The equipment set-up contained within his bedroom would put many professional IT systems to shame."

Corbett was also sentenced to a six-year Sexual Offences Prevention Order and will be required to sign the sex offenders register for life. ®

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    dare I ask how this has been discussed in the NUT forums?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Very Sad day for our profession indeed As for the guy I believe he was incredibly talented by conversations I had when I started in my job and was (if he's not a different person with that name) a whizz with MIS's, doing reports, analysis, management of them etc!

rad
    Thank Post
    It proves how bad the Criminal record checks are, this guy was working in a school, and as he was "undetected" was still able to continue working in such a place. As he had no current dealings with the police this didnt show up.

Really a failing on the systems.

As for a down day for ICT profession, sure is, how many others are at it. I knew of a guy who worked at a "workplace" when I was younger, I went there at the age of 10. He worked there for ages, and children came for days/weekends at a time, and as it was residential was even more worrying on reflection. This person was caught and dealt with. It is sickening to think, he may of taken a picture of one of us in the past.

Thank Post
    I don't see how it's a failing of the system, If the guy has no priors there is absolutely no way they could have known he was a paedophile.
    Short of a police check on all of potential employees personal computers/house search or crazy psychological profiling it's next to impossible to check for this. It's a sad world if we have to assume that everyone who works with children is a paedophile until proven innocent.

It is a sad day for all tho, I will never understand what drives people to become so twisted
    Last edited by DrCheese; 14th September 2010 at 09:36 PM.

Thank Post
    A similar event happened near me except the tech was downloading adult pronography using the work computer and internet connection. When the monthly internet usage bills went through the roof and he couldn't explain it, the school got someone external in to audit the system and found a lot of stuff that is not appropriate in a school. The tech was asked very quietly to leave very quickly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it is done within work most LAs and RBCs have ways of finding things and alerting the police immediately. If it is done whilst at home and on home machines then there is very little which a school can do to find it out ... you have to rely on evidence tracking or tip offs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    It proves how bad the Criminal record checks are, this guy was working in a school, and as he was "undetected" was still able to continue working in such a place. As he had no current dealings with the police this didnt show up.

Really a failing on the systems.

As for a down day for ICT profession, sure is, how many others are at it. I knew of a guy who worked at a "workplace" when I was younger, I went there at the age of 10. He worked there for ages, and children came for days/weekends at a time, and as it was residential was even more worrying on reflection. This person was caught and dealt with. It is sickening to think, he may of taken a picture of one of us in the past.
    How do you suggest the system is improved? CRB works just fine. But if a person has no criminal record, and no indicators of their misbehavior then how can anyone check that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Amazing, he got almost 3 years and the owner of Sparlkebox got 12 months. For his second offense!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Amazing, he got almost 3 years and the owner of Sparlkebox got 12 months. For his second offense!
    Shows the state of our justice system, like George Michael getting 8 weeks in Jail for drug driving but will only server 4 of them!? Fine not the same nature by any means before people think i'm saying that drug offences are the same as these issues, but really both need to be re-thought. He clearly needs longer as does the Sparklebox guy!

Reading a fuller article on it in my local paper (see more than just farming occurs in Yorkshire (and having arguments with people from Lancashire!)) he will only serve half of his 32 month sentence

Source: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...ild.6529861.jp
    Last edited by john; 14th September 2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added extra info link in

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    How do you suggest the system is improved? CRB works just fine. But if a person has no criminal record, and no indicators of their misbehavior then how can anyone check that?
    Thought Police, of course.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not the CRB system that is wrong as such - it does a good job of keeping known dangerous people from working with other people they can prey on (again). It just can't predict a previously-un-convicted person's future intentions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    It's not the CRB system that is wrong as such - it does a good job of keeping known dangerous people from working with other people they can prey on (again). It just can't predict a previously-un-convicted person's future intentions.
    No, for that you'd need the minority report computer

It's not a failing of the system at all though as webman and others have said. It's a failing of this country, and only goes to show the kind of animals we are breeding today.

Thank Post
    That type of person will endeavor to work / have contact with children via any means possible. Problem is most will keep very well hidden and not act on impulses but when they do (Huntley) things go wrong.

There is not much one can do to find complete sick morons apart from doing investigations, looking for inappropriate behavior etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread