+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
IT News Thread, BECTA to be shut down as part of Government cuts in Other News; BBC News - Jobs threat as Coventry technology agency to close Just wondering what everyone's feeling on this is?...
    Thank Post

BECTA to be shut down as part of Government cuts

BBC News - Jobs threat as Coventry technology agency to close

Just wondering what everyone's feeling on this is?

Thank Post
    Is BECTA Facing The Axe? is my feeling.

Thank Post
    They have 240 staff - flipping eck what do/did they all do?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    Think of it this way - 240 people laid off, now needing to claim benefits, paying no taxes, paying no national insurance, simply claiming... Also, not buying things from private businesses - ie. reducing the amount of money going back into the economy.

This is why we are likely to have a double dip recession - because lay-offs reduce the amount of money available in the economy.

Thank Post
    I feel sorry for the staff but they could be working on something more productive - an extra 240 technicians in schools that are short staffed as mentioned in several posts on here.

Thank Post
    BSF next!!!

Thank Post
    exactly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Think of it this way - 240 people laid off, now needing to claim benefits, paying no taxes, paying no national insurance, simply claiming... Also, not buying things from private businesses - ie. reducing the amount of money going back into the economy.

This is why we are likely to have a double dip recession - because lay-offs reduce the amount of money available in the economy.
    Sorry, that argument doesn't hold, they were paid FROM taxes, so the tax contribution is a big fat 0 in the end. By paying them unemployment benefit then we are saving the diffeences between what they were paid and the benefits claimed when unemployed.
    Yes the human side of it is horrible, I don't wish unemployment on anyone.

Thank Post
    I feel sorry for the staff but they could be working on something more productive - an extra 240 technicians in schools that are short staffed as mentioned in several posts on here.
    i think you've just answered the claim about double-dip recession......reallocation of the 'savings' from departments needn't necessarily lead to economic woes....particularly if more money is available for more bods in schools if those funds are diverted to where they are needed.

otherwise you sit on your hands and do nothing about wasteful spending and malinvestment. there are no jobs for life anymore, the private sector knows that all too well, and public sector orgs subject to reorganisation know that first hand. 'co-ordinators', 'facilitators' or just plain old 'managers' ;0)need to equip themselves with transferrable skills and compete for jobs, not be handed feet under the table jobs and promises of yet another year[s] funding to keep doing whatever the hell it is they're doing. [making a general observation here not specific to any org]
    Last edited by torledo; 24th May 2010 at 05:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    As GrumbleDook was pointing out all weekend(!) on Twitter, there are an awful lot of things Becta do that us Joes on the front lines never really get involved with. I personally think that may have contributed to their demise - a lot of people who would have liked advice/info from them never saw it because a lot of it was aimed at LAs or equivalent. Essentially, they weren't seen to be doing much by a lot of people.

Also, their website always seemed impenetrable whenever I went looking for something. Half the time I only found what I was looking for by using an regular search engigne and finding an external site with a link to what I was after.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
    BSF next!!!
    Scrapping the "building" part of BSF will save vast amounts of money and is likely to happen. Scrapping the outsourcing of IT is much less likely to happen - pretty much every company that wants to save money outsources everything it possibly can. I'd be very surprised if we don't see an even bigger push to outsourcing in the near future in the name of "efficiency"

It's easy to say that it's "wasteful" or "inefficient" to employ people to do all sorts of jobs but we then have the statements that we need to get people off benefits and in to jobs. What jobs exactly are they going to do? Where is the money coming to pay for them?

Cameron has made it very clear that he thinks the public sector is too big and perhaps he's right but I don't see any private companies standing up and saying "we could employ so many more people if only they weren't employed in the public sector"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Sorry, that argument doesn't hold, they were paid FROM taxes, so the tax contribution is a big fat 0 in the end. By paying them unemployment benefit then we are saving the diffeences between what they were paid and the benefits claimed when unemployed.
    Yes the human side of it is horrible, I don't wish unemployment on anyone.
    Ah, you're ignoring the bit where they pay into the economy also. Without that part, private businesses have less customers, less demand means less employment... It has knock on effects. Think about it from the simplest point of view - those people will all most likely have eaten their lunch either in a canteen (which bought foods from local businesses) or from local cafes etc... That is less custom for those businesses - which'll mean they won't need as many people working at lunchtime. It has a big knock on effect!

By your reckoning, we'd be better off as a country if we sacked all 'non-essential' (read 'not core to the running of the country') staff, as we'd only have to pay their benefits.

Thank Post
    The skills to work in BECTA particularly if you are directing policy and to be a Technician in a school are probably not that closely related.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ah, you're ignoring the bit where they pay into the economy also. Without that part, private businesses have less customers, less demand means less employment... It has knock on effects. Think about it from the simplest point of view - those people will all most likely have eaten their lunch either in a canteen (which bought foods from local businesses) or from local cafes etc... That is less custom for those businesses - which'll mean they won't need as many people working at lunchtime. It has a big knock on effect!

By your reckoning, we'd be better off as a country if we sacked all 'non-essential' (read 'not core to the running of the country') staff, as we'd only have to pay their benefits.
    I think you can go two different ways. The Scandinavian view where you have large well paid public sector / large benefits / high taxes or the American way where government is as small as possible / benefits are low / tax is low.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I think you can go two different ways. The Scandinavian view where you have large well paid public sector / large benefits / high taxes or the American way where government is as small as possible / benefits are low / tax is low.
    I prefer the Scandinavian view. The quality of life in most such countries is leaps and bounds ahead of the USA.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast