+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
IT News Thread, BECTA to be shut down as part of Government cuts in Other News; BBC News - Jobs threat as Coventry technology agency to close Just wondering what everyone's feeling on this is?...
  1. #1
    networkingNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    144
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    BECTA to be shut down as part of Government cuts

    BBC News - Jobs threat as Coventry technology agency to close

    Just wondering what everyone's feeling on this is?

  2. #2

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,867
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 778 Times in 651 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Is BECTA Facing The Axe? is my feeling.

  3. #3
    maark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    92
    Thanked 78 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    They have 240 staff - flipping eck what do/did they all do?

  4. #4

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,523
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    They have 240 staff - flipping eck what do/did they all do?
    Think of it this way - 240 people laid off, now needing to claim benefits, paying no taxes, paying no national insurance, simply claiming... Also, not buying things from private businesses - ie. reducing the amount of money going back into the economy.

    This is why we are likely to have a double dip recession - because lay-offs reduce the amount of money available in the economy.

  5. #5
    maark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    92
    Thanked 78 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    I feel sorry for the staff but they could be working on something more productive - an extra 240 technicians in schools that are short staffed as mentioned in several posts on here.

  6. #6
    buzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    312
    Thank Post
    106
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    BSF next!!!

  7. #7
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    They have 240 staff - flipping eck what do/did they all do?
    exactly.

  8. #8

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,259
    Thank Post
    289
    Thanked 796 Times in 605 Posts
    Rep Power
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Think of it this way - 240 people laid off, now needing to claim benefits, paying no taxes, paying no national insurance, simply claiming... Also, not buying things from private businesses - ie. reducing the amount of money going back into the economy.

    This is why we are likely to have a double dip recession - because lay-offs reduce the amount of money available in the economy.
    Sorry, that argument doesn't hold, they were paid FROM taxes, so the tax contribution is a big fat 0 in the end. By paying them unemployment benefit then we are saving the diffeences between what they were paid and the benefits claimed when unemployed.
    Yes the human side of it is horrible, I don't wish unemployment on anyone.

  9. #9
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    I feel sorry for the staff but they could be working on something more productive - an extra 240 technicians in schools that are short staffed as mentioned in several posts on here.
    i think you've just answered the claim about double-dip recession......reallocation of the 'savings' from departments needn't necessarily lead to economic woes....particularly if more money is available for more bods in schools if those funds are diverted to where they are needed.

    otherwise you sit on your hands and do nothing about wasteful spending and malinvestment. there are no jobs for life anymore, the private sector knows that all too well, and public sector orgs subject to reorganisation know that first hand. 'co-ordinators', 'facilitators' or just plain old 'managers' ;0)need to equip themselves with transferrable skills and compete for jobs, not be handed feet under the table jobs and promises of yet another year[s] funding to keep doing whatever the hell it is they're doing. [making a general observation here not specific to any org]
    Last edited by torledo; 24th May 2010 at 05:25 PM.

  10. #10

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    They have 240 staff - flipping eck what do/did they all do?
    As GrumbleDook was pointing out all weekend(!) on Twitter, there are an awful lot of things Becta do that us Joes on the front lines never really get involved with. I personally think that may have contributed to their demise - a lot of people who would have liked advice/info from them never saw it because a lot of it was aimed at LAs or equivalent. Essentially, they weren't seen to be doing much by a lot of people.

    Also, their website always seemed impenetrable whenever I went looking for something. Half the time I only found what I was looking for by using an regular search engigne and finding an external site with a link to what I was after.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,159
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
    BSF next!!!
    Scrapping the "building" part of BSF will save vast amounts of money and is likely to happen. Scrapping the outsourcing of IT is much less likely to happen - pretty much every company that wants to save money outsources everything it possibly can. I'd be very surprised if we don't see an even bigger push to outsourcing in the near future in the name of "efficiency"

    It's easy to say that it's "wasteful" or "inefficient" to employ people to do all sorts of jobs but we then have the statements that we need to get people off benefits and in to jobs. What jobs exactly are they going to do? Where is the money coming to pay for them?

    Cameron has made it very clear that he thinks the public sector is too big and perhaps he's right but I don't see any private companies standing up and saying "we could employ so many more people if only they weren't employed in the public sector"

  12. #12

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,523
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Sorry, that argument doesn't hold, they were paid FROM taxes, so the tax contribution is a big fat 0 in the end. By paying them unemployment benefit then we are saving the diffeences between what they were paid and the benefits claimed when unemployed.
    Yes the human side of it is horrible, I don't wish unemployment on anyone.
    Ah, you're ignoring the bit where they pay into the economy also. Without that part, private businesses have less customers, less demand means less employment... It has knock on effects. Think about it from the simplest point of view - those people will all most likely have eaten their lunch either in a canteen (which bought foods from local businesses) or from local cafes etc... That is less custom for those businesses - which'll mean they won't need as many people working at lunchtime. It has a big knock on effect!

    By your reckoning, we'd be better off as a country if we sacked all 'non-essential' (read 'not core to the running of the country') staff, as we'd only have to pay their benefits.

  13. #13
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    I feel sorry for the staff but they could be working on something more productive - an extra 240 technicians in schools that are short staffed as mentioned in several posts on here.
    The skills to work in BECTA particularly if you are directing policy and to be a Technician in a school are probably not that closely related.

  14. #14
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ah, you're ignoring the bit where they pay into the economy also. Without that part, private businesses have less customers, less demand means less employment... It has knock on effects. Think about it from the simplest point of view - those people will all most likely have eaten their lunch either in a canteen (which bought foods from local businesses) or from local cafes etc... That is less custom for those businesses - which'll mean they won't need as many people working at lunchtime. It has a big knock on effect!

    By your reckoning, we'd be better off as a country if we sacked all 'non-essential' (read 'not core to the running of the country') staff, as we'd only have to pay their benefits.
    I think you can go two different ways. The Scandinavian view where you have large well paid public sector / large benefits / high taxes or the American way where government is as small as possible / benefits are low / tax is low.

  15. #15

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,523
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I think you can go two different ways. The Scandinavian view where you have large well paid public sector / large benefits / high taxes or the American way where government is as small as possible / benefits are low / tax is low.
    I prefer the Scandinavian view. The quality of life in most such countries is leaps and bounds ahead of the USA.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Power cuts
    By Simcfc73 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31st December 2009, 12:38 AM
  2. CPLTD Power Cuts!!!
    By CPLTD in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th December 2009, 11:03 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •