+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
IT News Thread, BECTA to be shut down as part of Government cuts in Other News; I have no problem in knocking up pamphlets and stuff with the info required and I dont mind updating it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no problem in knocking up pamphlets and stuff with the info required and I dont mind updating it every other month...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Since yesterday morning when the cuts were announced, I've taken a lot of calls and emails all asking about what we at EduGeek can do to fill a potential gap in the educational advice world. I can't say anything yet, but will keep you all posted and will hopefully have some news for you all later in the week once we have decided what courses we can take and what we will need to do in preperation.
    whatever it is you end up doing, i just hope it doesn't cost 55m quid a year to deliver !

Thank Post
    I don't mind being paid £220K a year for doing something.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    Probably not but I bet there is in west midlands. But my general point is there are too many planners, advisors, consultants on high pay and not enough front line staff.

Quick edit - see sippo's post more work!
    Removing the categories of staff that you mention is going to do nothing to fill the front line gap. The only way to do that is to become competitive by offering realistic salaries for the front line jobs.

I don't exactly see many of the planners, consultants and such like commuting into Birmingham for £13k a year.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    The more important question is now BECTA will cease to exist, maybe it's edugeeks time to shine as an independant source of good advice on schools ICT? Of course it could never become another BECTA, but there's certainly areas which it could become an authorative source - particularly if it was possible to license some of the material on the BECTA website, all the masses of documentation some of which is actually very useful? just thinking out loud.
    Mike.
    I agree that there would be a hole in authoritative information and edugeek should totally try and fill it. Never mind their documentation. We should make our own including a more realistic & flexible framework. isn't that what google wave is for? mass collaboration?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What hole in documentation? We are all going to be Tuped to private companies that will all provide their own corporate documentation that will be wholey incompatible with life in education. Just because BSF is under threat doesn't mean saving money by privitaising ICT support is....

Thank Post
    Why are we all assuming there will be massive holes? It is the organisation which has been disbanded, not all the work they do. I would imagine that some of what Becta (and QCA) did will get picked up elsewhere, presumably within the newly-refocussed Department for Education.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Why are we all assuming there will be massive holes? It is the organisation which has been disbanded, not all the work they do. I would imagine that some of what Becta (and QCA) did will get picked up elsewhere, presumably within the newly-refocussed Department for Education.
    And all of the online materials redistibuted hither and thither. Our worry is that all of the BECTA online resources will be lost if spread out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Just because BSF is under threat doesn't mean saving money by privitaising ICT support is....
    Absolutely right.... the outsourcing vultures are gathering overhead........ Capita shares rose 4.3% immediately after the election....

Surge in public sector outsourcing remains likely - Community - ComputerworldUK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    And all of the online materials redistibuted hither and thither. Our worry is that all of the BECTA online resources will be lost if spread out.
    The hither and thither approach is one of the reasons why the new government are disbanding so many of these little organisations, so I suspect that the documents won't be thrown to the four winds from Becta, merely relocated to a different place under a new name.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Capita shares rose 4.3% immediately after the election....
    That rise isn't just because of outsourced schools, Capita work on all sort of Government contracts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    That rise isn't just because of outsourced schools, Capita work on all sort of Government contracts.
    I know that, I mentioned Capita merely to illustrate a point. The real point I was trying to make is that the whole outsourcing industry is rubbing its hands at the prospect of the ConDem Govt forcing wholesale privatisation of public sector services .... carrying on where New Labour left off.

Thank Post
    When is Becta closing exactly? I've seen dates of 12 months from now, November 2010, and 1-June-2010 (next week).

According to Idealo, the Home Access programme is continuing for a little longer, but doesn't say for how long.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Absolutely right.... the outsourcing vultures are gathering overhead........ Capita shares rose 4.3% immediately after the election....

Surge in public sector outsourcing remains likely - Community - ComputerworldUK
    I think that they have dropped a bit since though, see Osborne's axe hits outsourcing firms and also BBC.

mb

Thank Post
    Some other questions arise, do we need (are required to have) a LP anymore, what about the parental engagement agenda & online reporting, lots of uncertainty in the near furture.

Capita were doing the Home Access programme, that contract will not be extended as there will be no next wave.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast