+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Microsoft confirmed Internet Explorer 9 browser will not support Adobe Flash in Other News; Microsoft announces IE9 will not support Flash - Yahoo! News UK...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Blog Entries

Microsoft confirmed Internet Explorer 9 browser will not support Adobe Flash

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But surely no versoin of IE has supported flash. You have had to install a flash plugin for it to work ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yea, as far as I had heard the new IE was going to support mozilla style plugins so flash should still be avalible if you install the plugin. If they have blocked this too then the anti monopoly lot will be building their new yachts with the proceeds and the EU will be able to build a new contenental railway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It irritates me that all these articles about Flash focus on the video aspect of it alone, ignoring the massive amount of flash interactive content in use across the net. Flash wasn't even designed for video! It was designed for cross-platform applications.

I hope a plugin is still supported, as it would put a lot of schools in a difficult situation if it doesn't - we subscribe to a good number of Flash sites (mathletics, gridclub, educationcity, mymaths, etc...). If IE drops flash, it'll lead us to drop IE.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    That article is utter b*******. Inaccurate. A deviation from the truth. It is wrong.

The blog post the article refers to is this one on the IE9 blog. At no point whatsoever does it say IE9 will not support flash; all it does is state that "IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only". They then go on to talk about how a lot of current video on the web is Flash-only, and some muppet(s) have utterly misinterpreted this as saying 'IE9 won't support Flash videos' and therefore 'IE9 won't support Flash', neither of which is correct.

In a further post just a few hours ago, confirms that "Of course, IE9 will continue to support Flash and other plug-ins."

Thank Post
    I can't imagine even for a minute that MS would 'prevent' flash from being supported I can't see any benefit to them it's not like they're obsessed with controling the platform like Apple. I know they have Silverlight now but they won't want to raise the anti comp mob again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    That article is utter b*******. Inaccurate. A deviation from the truth. It is wrong.

The blog post the article refers to is this one on the IE9 blog. At no point whatsoever does it say IE9 will not support flash; all it does is state that "IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only". They then go on to talk about how a lot of current video on the web is Flash-only, and some muppet(s) have utterly misinterpreted this as saying 'IE9 won't support Flash videos' and therefore 'IE9 won't support Flash', neither of which is correct.

In a further post just a few hours ago, confirms that "Of course, IE9 will continue to support Flash and other plug-ins."
    I was wondering where you got your moniker from.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    I was wondering where you got your moniker from.
    Pretty much all my writing outside my blog is much more reasoned than the blog posts themselves, and even that has mellowed in the last year. One thing that always gets my goat, however, is bad journalism when covering tech news.

As well as the now ubiquitous quality problem that results of not checking the facts properly in the rush to scoop the competition, most media outlets have non-experts writing their tech news. That may not be surprising, since many technical people can earn much better money actually practising their trade than in covering it for the media, but it would help if tech journalists could at least keep a couple of knowledgeable geeks in their phone book to idiot-check their work before publishing it.

At a BCS meeting I attended not too long ago, a member asked BCS President, Dr Elizabeth Sparrow, why the BCS was quoted so rarely in the British media, when 'experts' from private companies were so often quoted spouting partisan rubbish on behalf of their employers. The questioner singled out computer security companies in particular, who are fond of exaggerating virus and hacking problems. Dr Sparrow's answer was simple: the BCS is always happy to provide quotes to the media, and often seeks out journalists to give opinions on current stories. However, the BCS provides rational, reasonable, non-inflammatory viewpoints, and news reporters simply aren't interested in that because it doesn't make for the kind of stories they think their audiences want.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,007 Posts
    Dan Worth should be ashamed. He hasn't even corrected the original article.

Bad journalism at its best.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread