+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Facebook snubs government demands for panic button in Other News; Facebook snubs government demands for panic button - Telegraph I think it's already said that a panic button wouldn't have ...
    Thank Post

Facebook snubs government demands for panic button

Facebook snubs government demands for panic button - Telegraph

I think it's already said that a panic button wouldn't have done anything to save Ashleigh Hall.

Thank Post
    Odd choice of title for the article when it also includes

However, Facebook has confirmed that a CEOP button will not be added to a users main home page but instead be put on the site's Safety Centre.
    "Facebook told us they have no objection to the principle of including the CEOP button on their site and that they have now agreed to a high level meeting with CEOP in Washington on April 12 to discuss this issue further."

Thank Post
    What I don't understand is who is the button for? Surely if the girl had felt panicked then she wouldn't have gone & met him. If it is for others to press then it is going to generate so many false positives and revenge presses it will be pointless. It just seems like another knee jerk reaction to an unfortunate case & another attempt at a technology fix for a social/parental problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. From the reports I've read, Ashleigh Hall had no reason to think she was going to get into any trouble, so would have had no cause to use such a reporting feature.

I'm of a mixed opinion of the CEOP reporting button. On one hand they claim they receive a lot of reports of abuse via it; but how many other people get into "situations" because they didn't feel the need to use it? I don't think installing it everywhere will be an instant solution to all the problems CEOP face.

The real issue in the Ashleigh Hall case, from my point of view, is how Peter Chapman was allowed Internet access and how nobody knew where he was or what he was doing, given what was known about him previously. That is what could have prevented the tragedy - not a little button that Ashleigh may or may not have clicked.
    Last edited by webman; 19th March 2010 at 12:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    It just seems like another knee jerk reaction to an unfortunate case & another attempt at a technology fix for a social/parental problem.
    Well said,

We need a back to basics approach, children need to understand the proper boundaries when dealing with strangers. I was told if I was spoken to by a stranger you were civil but under no circumstance would you go with them or take sweets from them. It was drilled into me at primary school, and I suspect was no different from what my parents and grandparents had been taught.

Of course it's not in the SATs so I wouldn't be suppised it isn't even mentioned unless someone desided to have an 'inititive'.

Thank Post
    I posted this on anoter forum, how would anyone actually police this witch hunt? -

How many users does facebook have? Lets say 500 Million acitve in a month, if 1% of those users were reported per month as potential suspects thats 5 million cases to investigate. Lets say it takes 30 minutes per case to decide if it requires further investigation - 2.5 million man hours per month. Adjust the figures as much as you like its still a huge task to attempt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,703 Posts
    That button is not a 'Panic' Button. This is where it links to CEOP Report Abuse

It links to CEOP where you can advice on various areas of concern, from Viruses to Sexual Abuse. If you are concerned about sexual abuse, you can read advice and then take it a step further and report your concerns if necessary. Take a look, it's not like dialling 999 - you won't get into trouble unless you report something and it's not a real concern.

The button can be incorporated into any website, even those without Social Networking content. For example, it's on CBBC Stay Safe. Children are now being taught to recognise when things aren't right and to click on that button if they are anxious. It doesn't have to be on the site where they are anxious.

We are going to incorporate it on our school website. To do this, you need to register your site and once it's been OKed, they'll email you the link to the graphic. (It took about an hour for us to get the OK)

It may not have saved Ashleigh, but had she been taught about e-Safety and how to recognise the danger signs, she may have been looked for it.

I always tell people that if they can't find the button to Google 'CEOP Report', they'll get the same thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    What I don't understand is who is the button for? Surely if the girl had felt panicked then she wouldn't have gone & met him.
    I couldn't of put it better myself. I've also questioned how effective the button genuinely is. Even if CEOP receive reports from someone who feels threatened, what exactly is the procedure? Facebook has over 400 million users and over 8 million hits a day.

Education is definitely the way forward, not so much a button to combat the nature of these problems.

Thank Post
    Right, I know about that button but the way it is being reported (I know, bad sign straight away) is a large red switch to whack when you feel worried.

Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    It may not have saved Ashleigh, but had she been taught about e-Safety and how to recognise the danger signs, she may have been looked for it.
    This I think is more an issue. But I also have a problem with e-safety, why is it not just part of the general personal safety taught like the old stranger danger. That stuff holds true with online as it does off line. I don't think it should be segregated. But, that is just me.

Though I think the issue webman brought up is the crux of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Well said,
    I was told if I was spoken to by a stranger you were civil but under no circumstance would you go with them or take sweets from them. It was drilled into me at primary school, and I suspect was no different from what my parents and grandparents had been taught.
    I was taught this too, but it was of limited use even then as the sort of 'strangers' that could be dangerous are likely to have extra info (eg your name, or the name of another friend, or they know where you live, or similar) which makes a child feel that they are NOT strangers.
    That is the problem with places like Facebook - they are so 'chatty' that the children use them do not think of the people they 'meet' as strangers - so teaching them to be careful is that much more difficult

Thank Post
    Maybe we should warn them that Facebook gives you cancer:

How using Facebook could raise your risk of cancer | Mail Online

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Instead of saying that the button would not have saved Ashleigh, consider it instead of yet another tool that can be an option for someone to use if they have a concern.

There will not be a single solution for dealing with all of this ... but there will be a number of different ones which will work better if they are consistent in message. Having Facebook say "nah ... just use our report process and we might eventually do something" when pretty much everyone else is jumping on board is a bit stupid. *That* has been the problem ... which FB look to be addressing.

It is there to support the education of people ... not there to patch over the cracks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    But I also have a problem with e-safety, why is it not just part of the general personal safety taught like the old stranger danger. That stuff holds true with online as it does off line. I don't think it should be segregated. But, that is just me.
    It shouldn't be. Schools are required to have integrated Safeguarding Children policies. e-Safety forms part odf it along with, Child Protection, Handling Children, etc.

Children should be taught how to be safe at school and the skills to continue to be safe outside it. We teach e-Safety as part of PSHE and integrate stranger danger, road safety, etc... with the little ones especially, it's very much one messsage.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Instead of saying that the button would not have saved Ashleigh, consider it instead of yet another tool that can be an option for someone to use if they have a concern.

There will not be a single solution for dealing with all of this ... but there will be a number of different ones which will work better if they are consistent in message. Having Facebook say "nah ... just use our report process and we might eventually do something" when pretty much everyone else is jumping on board is a bit stupid. *That* has been the problem ... which FB look to be addressing.

It is there to support the education of people ... not there to patch over the cracks.
    I agree. Pedestrian crossings aren't scrapped because children should be taught how to cross the road. The button is just part of the strategy for enabling people to keep children safe.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Maybe we should warn them that Facebook gives you cancer:

How using Facebook could raise your risk of cancer | Mail Online
    AAAAAAhahahahahahahah! Hilarious! The headline is "How using Facebook could raise your risk of cancer", yet the article mentions it once and not even specifically. LOVE IT

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Further to the original Facebook-CEOP topic, The Register has a good piece on it.

Facebook stands up to UK.gov's cyberbullying ? The Register

Also interesting are the comments.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast