+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
IT News Thread, An iPod for each pupil in Other News; Ok, I think ive given a clear picture of what the school has as a solution - so I would ...

Thank Post
    Ok,

I think ive given a clear picture of what the school has as a solution -

so I would like to invite you to offer your ideas of a better solution - ?????

the brief was as follows, want to provide each student with a device that can assist them curriculum wise in and out of school, that can provide a daily planner, that is good for media, that is very small and cannot be seen visibly when travelling ie no laptop size devices to make children a target, that has a long battery life, that can engage the students in learning, that can utilise voting software, provide email functionality, is good on the application side. Any ideas?

Id be interested?

(also please remember there is a directive which has a deadline for each student to have a device so all schools should have this on their to do list)

Thank Post
    What about nokia n810?

Nokia N810 on eBay (end time 15-Dec-09 18:19:49 GMT)

can pick them up really cheap... full web browser, upto 16gb hot swap sdhc cards, camera for stills or vid, sound recorder, bluetooth...
    symbian os aswell...

Also there was something I remember seeing at bett couple of years ago htc advantage? not sure but had windows mobile on it looked good? not sure about price etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Sorry was just running through quickly. So out of my list of reasons all you can do to counter them is be pedantic? Im not trying to be deliberatly obtuse, im just trying to work out why the decision was made to go for iPods over netbooks?

And really, what difference does it make if a kid recieves his emails though his pocket or his bag...?

Sorry my sense of humour, I think thats probably the argument of portable vs mobility, ie why have email on your phone. Virtually everyone in business has email on their phone, plus this is just my interpretation not anyone elses, but how would i know if I have an email if my laptop is in my bag? Not being argumentative about it at all but the school wanted real time as much as possible im sure so isnt this what we all like about twitter and other such applications.

The emphasis from the school was a small device, not to make them targets of crime I personally think this should be any schools primary concern

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fayfrancis View Post
    I'm not sure what I'd provide for that scenario; but I also don't think the brief is/was such a fantastic idea in the first place - for mainly the reasons mentioned by myself, j17sparky and several others.

(also please remember there is a directive which has a deadline for each student to have a device so all schools should have this on their to do list)
    Just because we've been given a directive (the Government I imagine?) doesn't mean it's a well-thought out good idea to implement. (Hmmm... sounds like BSF again...)

Virtually everyone in business has email on their phone, plus this is just my interpretation not anyone elses, but how would i know if I have an email if my laptop is in my bag?
    There's a huge gap in self discipline and respect between kids and responsible adults.

The emphasis from the school was a small device, not to make them targets of crime I personally think this should be any schools primary concern
    The best way to prevent them being a target of crime is for them not to have a device like that at all. But of course now the school has lots of coverage for giving their kids a popular device, everyone now knows they are carrying iPod Touches that will just be replaced at the drop of a hat. I would say that makes them more of a target.
    Last edited by webman; 17th November 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neon View Post
    What about nokia n810?

Nokia N810 on eBay (end time 15-Dec-09 18:19:49 GMT)

can pick them up really cheap... full web browser, upto 16gb hot swap sdhc cards, camera for stills or vid, sound recorder, bluetooth...
    symbian os aswell...

Also there was something I remember seeing at bett couple of years ago htc advantage? not sure but had windows mobile on it looked good? not sure about price etc...
    nice try there Neon.....1 big flaw there...you can make phone calls with the nokia. This is not wanted in the brief for the students -iTouch still the only device suitable

Thank Post
    Well thats fair enough and is subjective so depending how you look at it...;

is it better to have a small device in your pocket, or a slightly larger one tucked away in your bag?

Its soon going to get around that the kids from such and such a school carry them round in their pockets...

And lets remember that iPods pretty much reinvented the term "mugging"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think Webmans critisms are correct and should be addressed. I can see you are not against the idea per se, just looking at the pratical implementation side of things. I agree, any school looking to implement this sort of scheme does need to look long and hard at some of these security concerns.

@J17Sparkey, I think your missing the neche that the device is filling. I agree that a small netbook in the school bag could do all this. But there is something to be said about 'instant on' and 'easily accessable'. Which the iPhone Touch delivers. Want to see your time table? Why wait for Linux to boot?

Directive - as anyone got anymore info, a link or some such, so I can read up on this. Tbh, haven't heard anything about it here in the sticks

Nokia N810 - What makes it diffent to using an iPod, other than it's not Apple? I'm not trying to be pro-Apple here. I think a good solution could be based on either. Just curious as to why this was picked as a better alternative?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    @J17Sparkey, I think your missing the neche that the device is filling. I agree that a small netbook in the school bag could do all this. But there is something to be said about 'instant on' and 'easily accessable'. Which the iPhone Touch delivers. Want to see your time table? Why wait for Linux to boot?
    Good point, and a good reason why its better than a netbook.

On a side note, i wonder if this school has got any kids on the "laptops for pupils" scheme. We do, whihch sort of negates the mugging issue

Thank Post
    I think Webmans critisms are correct and should be addressed. I can see you are not against the idea per se, just looking at the pratical implementation side of things. I agree, any school looking to implement this sort of scheme does need to look long and hard at some of these security concerns.

Directive - as anyone got anymore info, a link or some such, so I can read up on this. Tbh, haven't heard anything about it here in the sticks

Nokia N810 - What makes it diffent to using an iPod, other than it's not Apple? I'm not trying to be pro-Apple here. I think a good solution could be based on either. Just curious as to why this was picked as a better alternative?

An iPod for each pupil at Essa Academy will help school to stay in touch - Times Online

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanx - just got a 404 error

Was that more info on the directive - or more info on the schools ipod scheme?

Thank Post
    As network manager, I think I would be reasonably happy if someone came along to my school & handed out iPods.... as long as they supplemented the existing desktop/notebook provision.

I am not sure our teachers would be quite so happy at the distraction they would cause....

Thank Post
    Thanx - just got a 404 error

Was that more info on the directive - or more info on the schools ipod scheme?
    it was on the schools ipod scheme,

the directives I was told about by a learning grid - Id have to check some notes but if I remember correctly the deadline was 2012 but thats just off the top of my head, I cant find it online ill ask the learning grid as I may be wrong about the date.

Thank Post
    Ok,

I think ive given a clear picture of what the school has as a solution -

the brief was as follows, want to provide each student with a device that can assist them curriculum wise in and out of school, that can provide a daily planner, that is good for media, that is very small and cannot be seen visibly when travelling ie no laptop size devices to make children a target, that has a long battery life, that can engage the students in learning, that can utilise voting software, provide email functionality, is good on the application side. Any ideas?

Id be interested?

The brief is idiotic. You have the Academy and all the extra money because the old school was failing and the pupils were not achieving. This brief is unlikely to improve that situation. Instead the money would be better spent hiring excellent teachers who could teach the children in smaller groups and the school could also work with mentoring families in the community. The government could also try alleviating poverty because that is the real reason for poor performance at school.
    Last edited by somabc; 17th November 2009 at 02:53 PM.

Thank Post
    the devices are much less cost than a full laptop which under directives soon to be deadline each student must have a device
    I'd also be interested in more info on all students requiring ba device by 2012?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    The brief is idiotic. You have the Academy and all the extra money because the old school was failing and the pupils were not achieving. This brief is unlikely to improve that situation. Instead the money would be better spent hiring excellent teachers who could teach the children in smaller groups and the school could also work with mentoring families in the community. The government could also try alleviating poverty because that is the real reason for poor performance at school.
    just a question, have you asked the school if they have done this also? I think maybe anyone with questions of this nature should research the school prior to comment and if anything of that nature is unanswered then you are able to direct your questions at the school. they do have meetings where other schools can attend, I am unsure as to the invitation side of this but certainly Im sure there would be no harm in asking.

I believe that the grades improved by 50% this yr

(not the school or my employers opinion)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast