+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Microsoft to Push Out IE 7 This Month in Other News; http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur..._internet.html Microsoft to Push Out IE 7 This Month Microsoft this month will be pushing out Internet Explorer 7 to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Microsoft to Push Out IE 7 This Month

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur..._internet.html

Microsoft to Push Out IE 7 This Month

Microsoft this month will be pushing out Internet Explorer 7 to Windows users who download security updates through Microsoft Update or Automatic Updates.

Last week, Security Fix mentioned that Microsoft intends to ship 11 patches tomorrow, including a "high-priority update." According to a post on the company's IE blog, that high-priority update could be IE7, a long overdue upgrade to IE 6 that includes new security features and other enhancements that most other Web browsers have long possessed. A Microsoft spokesperson declined to say whether IE7 would be released tomorrow, saying only that it would be released sometime this month.

IE 7 includes tabbed browsing, built in RSS feeds, as well as tools to help users spot phishing Web sites that mimic banks and trusted e-commerce companies to steal personal and financial data. The new IE also shores up some weaknesses in ActiveX, a feature designed to help Web sites load interactive content (ActiveX has been abused with such abandon by spyware purveyors to install their junk programs that some security researchers have taken to calling it "HacktiveX").

However, one of IE 7's most useful security features, a protected mode -- billed as a "containment wall" to prevent the browser from installing software or changing computer settings without the user's consent -- will not be available for XP users. That feature will be reserved for users who upgrade to Windows Vista, the next version of the operating system, due in January.

It will be interesting to see whether this upgrade for Windows will further increase Microsoft's market share in the ongoing browser wars. According to numbers released today by Amsterdam-based Web analytics firm OneStat.com, the total global usage share of IE increased 2.8 percent since July 2006, bringing Microsoft's share of the browser market worldwide to nearly 86 percent. The company says Mozilla Firefox's browsers have a total global usage share of 11.49 percent, a decrease of 1.44 percent since July 2006. In the United States, the IE/Firefox ratio is roughly 80 percent to 15 percent, according to OneStat.

Update, 1:14 p.m. ET: The above post was changed to say IE7 would be released this month. Microsoft declined to confirm whether it would release IE tomorrow as part of its patch process, only to say that it planned the release sometime this month.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Microsoft to Push Out IE 7 This Month

Is there a way of preventing it from being auto installed via windows update (perhaps with a registry key like SP2 was)?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/upd...ouncement.mspx

Automatic Updates Delivery Process

The automatic delivery process will notify users an update is available and allow users to choose whether to install Internet Explorer 7. The process is described below and screenshots are included at the bottom of this page.

Automatic Updates will only offer Internet Explorer 7 to users with local administrator accounts. Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when Internet Explorer 7 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus continue using Internet Explorer 6.

After clicking on the Automatic Updates notification balloon, users will see a welcome screen summarizing key features of Internet Explorer 7 and presenting three options - Install, Don’t Install, and Ask Me Later.

If a user selects “Install”: The installation process will commence and require Windows Genuine Advantage validation and a re-boot to complete. Installation of Internet Explorer 7 will not override a user’s default browser choice and will transfer the user’s previous homepage, favorites, search settings and compatible toolbars. When the user launches Internet Explorer 7, a first-run experience will be offered highlighting new features and changes.

If a user selects “Don’t Install”: The notification process will not re-prompt the user to install at a later time; however, any user who is a local administrator will be able to install Internet Explorer 7 at any time as an optional update from the Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites or from the Microsoft Download Center.

If a user selects “Ask Me Later”: The install process will not proceed and Automatic Updates will start notifying the user that an update is available using the same process (notification balloon and welcome screen) within approximately 24 hours.

Internet Explorer 7 will replace Internet Explorer 6 on a user’s machine. However, users will be able to roll back to Internet Explorer 6 by uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 via the Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs utility.

Thank Post

Does any one know how this will be done if we use WSUS?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries

In WSUS you should turn off automatic approval of *all* updates (including security updates, critical updates and service packs) and then wait until it arrives. Decline it in your default group and then enable automatic approval of updates again.

This should stop it being rolled out if your machines *always* pick up updates from WSUS.

However, this does not stop users with laptops who download stuff at home too ... this is my problem now.

Thank Post

So your not planning on deploying it yet Tony?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries

You have to be kidding ... we haven't seen half the damage it can do yet, and there are no adm updates for it yet either to enable /disable tabs or other settings.

With over 200 student laptops it would be a little foolhardy to let them have it now. It will be a phased roll out ... a few key classrooms first (we have groups in WSUS to allow for this ... we just never bother to use them).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Excellent, if it arrives YAY, my days of 2 screens full of IE windows are at an end! just one window with 70 tabs in it! YAY!!

It cannot come soon enough! Just need the ADMs now and then were done. As for us it will be too late as all my WSUS boxes are set to "let em rip" as im generally too lazy to manually aprove updates etc, touch wood I haven't been bitten yet, but what the heck, it could be fun on Wednesday when they have all installed etc. It will be whats this new fangled thingy you have installed etc... Using my tealeaves I predict lots of confused staff and children Fun Fun Fun

Thank Post

I'll disable all updates then till after Wednesday and then enable after it has come down and i decline it.

Thank Post

Just done some checking, its not due tomorrow, as there is one more Official MS webcast on it on the 12th, which is the Last webcase before deployment to MS Update / Downloads, so I would assume its not due tomorrow from that.

Thank Post

does anyone know if they've re-enabled FTP from ie7, I've avoided updating, because if I can't FTP my webpages then it's useless!

Thank Post

I never noticed it was broken, is it not just one of those options thats tucked away in the properties thats making it break?

Thank Post

From my testing, IE7 doesn't like all websites still. I know I can't log into my Smile Internet Banking with it... it just does nothing when I try!

IE7 is also more resource hungry than IE6 (which is too hungry for my liking). This release will make me get my ass in gear and set up Firefox Corporate.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No sign of the IE7 update here yet. I guess it'll be later today? I've never really paid attention to the exact time updates hit my WSUS server.

This release will make me get my ass in gear and set up Firefox Corporate
    Shout if you get stuck. I guess I should post my ADM files for the extensions I use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

If you're using WSUS I thought you had to enable the IE7 Dynamic installer which is available in Options > Synchronisation Options > click the 'Change' button under 'Products' and it should be in there somewhere.

I agree with the above - although the majority of websites should be ok, I think MS deploying it as an Automatic Update is a bad idea. Giving developers/website owners weeks to make changes to their websites is unacceptable.
    Some businesses could lose out if they don't test for IE7 compatibility in time as it will be deployed everywhere. I think IE7 should be optional for the time being and maybe months down the line (whenever Vista is released) IE7 should then be deployed to XP users.

IE7 and FF2 would then be the new standard for surfing the web giving developers time to make the necessary changes.

Out of curiosity, does IE7 support 256bit encryption for SSL sites or is it still 128bit?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast