+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
IT News Thread, Microsoft to Push Out IE 7 This Month in Other News; Out of curiosity, does IE7 support 256bit encryption for SSL sites or is it still 128bit probably only with vista ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Microsoft to Push Out IE 7 This Month

Out of curiosity, does IE7 support 256bit encryption for SSL sites or is it still 128bit
    probably only with vista - they need to leave some reasons for ppl to pay for upgrades

anyway seems RC1 is still listed on ms website - maybe later this month.....

Thank Post

According to the IE Team blog, IE7 via auto updates will not arrive till a few weeks after its available for general download.

Extract from blog below

IE7 Is Coming This Month...Are you Ready?
    07 October 2006, 01:40:00 | ieblog
    The final release of IE7 is fast approaching … and I mean really fast … and will be delivered to customers via Automatic Updates a few weeks after it’s available for download. We want to ensure that you are ready and the information below will help get you there.

Compatibility with sites, extensions and applications has been a very high priority for us as we develop new features, enhance the existing features and move the platform forward to be more secure and standards compliant. We are continually listening to feedback from our customers, partners and leaders in the industry to resolve major compatibility issues to ensure our common customers have a great experience with IE7. As we make key improvements in areas such as layout and security, some changes need to be made by site owners to work smoothly with IE7. We have produced detailed documentation, tools and other resources to assist site, extension and application owners in their testing and development efforts to ensure they are compatible with IE7. We have also proactively worked with hundreds of companies to resolve issues that were reported through our beta testing to ensure those issues were resolved before IE7 is released.

These efforts have been ongoing since last year and have been extremely successful but we can’t ensure 100% compatibility without your help. We need you to test and ensure your sites, extensions, and applications are ready for IE7. We strongly encourage you to do the following ASAP:

Download, install and test your products with IE7 RC 1 –This is the fastest and best way to test for compatibility issues.

Download the IE7 Readiness Toolkit - This toolkit pulls together a number of important resources to help you prepare for IE7:

Developer and IT Pro readiness check lists,
    Detailed documentation on important changes in IE7,
    Testing and debugging guidance,
    Tools for testing, debugging and investigating issues,
    And more…

Download and use the Application Compatibility Toolkit – Helps test browser-based applications to ensure they work with IE7.

Visit the Microsoft Internet Explorer Developer Center – You will find an array of important information for developers.

Use the Information Index for Internet Explorer7 – Think of this as a table of contents linking you to documentation, blog posts, whitepapers and other information on IE7.

Read the IE Team Blog – Use the search feature on the right to find previous posts on almost any topic you can think of with regard to IE7.

A AU download blocker can be downloaded from here

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/upd...ouncement.mspx

Its a bit further down the page. It can be ran via group policy and a script.

Hope this helps!!

Stephen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A AU download blocker can be downloaded from here

www.microsoft.com/tech...ement.mspx

Its a bit further down the page. It can be ran via group policy and a script.
    Exactly what I was after, thanks.

Thank Post

Another **** up by myself this week relating to this.

I decided to have a play with RC1, it seems to load quicker (except when it waits for the Phishing Filter and I like the browsing experience.

Unfortunatley with my experimenting I have got some problems which I am sure no one else will have but heres a warning.

I used IEAK 7 to make a nice EXE. I just decided to run it on a few machines in a room. All seemes well and after a couple of reboots it worked fine.

Then I copied the ADM from the workstation to a Group Policy object and had a play with the settings. Unfortunately I accidentally linked it to the school machines and its messed up loads of settings.

Inclusing.

Right click does not work on the webpages.
    Trying to open a link on the intranet in a new windows brings up a security warning saying its blocked. It seemed to affect access for some reason too, and it gave access denied on the redirected start menu.
    Properties is now locked out for everyone on these machines including me.

Disabling the OU does not work, removing IE7 does not fix it. I went through all the Group Policy and disabled everything and doubel checked everything and its still knackered.

It seemes that the settings for the Intranet problem got messed up in the profiles so I had to redo those, not a biggie.

The locked out is still messed up and the problem is still here. My machines that I initally installed onto without using the IEAK exe is working fine.

I know I was stupid so please don't call me one, just moaning out loud.

Thanks for listening

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts

Just for everyone's reference, if you install WSUS on your domain, not only can you distribute critical updates to your workstations, but you can also determine whether IE7 is deployed. This means you don't have to modify the registry to prevent IE7 installing automatically.

I'm just thinking down the line when IE7 has been around a while, you'll have to undo the registry changes you're putting in place now.

Also a few of you have mentioned about IE7's ADM files. Surely these will be distributed within the final IE7 package? If not I am presuming like IE5 and IE6 they can use the same policies and ignore policies not applicable to the version you're using.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12