+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
IT News Thread, "Three Strikes" To Go Ahead In Britain in Other News; Just thoguht i would throw this into the Discussion - Digital TV - News - TalkTalk to resist govt piracy ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just thoguht i would throw this into the Discussion - Digital TV - News - TalkTalk to resist govt piracy plans - Digital Spy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also if they monitor the IP addresses on a tracker such as the pirate bay they would be breaking the use policy. If the tracker owners wanted to could they take them to court?
    Not really as they make no restrictions of use and receiving the ip address of seeders etc is an expected part of torrents so they are not doing anything out of the ordinary.
    TPB couldnt for example put a term in that only none RIAA people can use their tracker as I think it wouldnt be enforcable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    How would they locate someone if they are using TOR for their Torrent traffic......Errrrrr - answer me that you stupid Government muppets.....
    Just make sure you connect to a public tracker & your torrent client is configured for torrent only comms.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    How would they locate someone if they are using TOR for their Torrent traffic......Errrrrr - answer me that you stupid Government muppets.....
    Just make sure you connect to a public tracker & your torrent client is configured for torrent only comms.
    Good point, but imagine it in reverse, you get tagged as a pirate for running a TOR hub (or what ever its called) for others to browse through?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Good point, but imagine it in reverse, you get tagged as a pirate for running a TOR hub (or what ever its called) for others to browse through?
    can't you not disable users from going through your connection?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    They have to trace you first- [ I am trying to think how hard it would be to actually do this if you using TOR and encrpyting any upload data [ like you can if using Utorrent ] and you are running say Peer Guardian........] and when using TOR the IP address changes quite a bit.
    Unless they are in your road capturing packets from say your wireless connection [ 'cos someone has told the rozzers that you are sharing illegal files ] then I would say it's almost impossible.....almost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,248 Posts
    It will be interesting how the new three strikes and you're out Government policy/law will work, bearing in mind McDonalds for example have free to use WiFi as do other places.

The reality is it just isn't enforceable as there are too many free to use WiFi or people who don't understand security and operate their wireless networks completely open.

Lets be clear however torrents themselves are not illegal and neither is file sharing, but file sharing copyrighted material without permission is the illegal aspect.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Most open WIFI hotspots have the ports closed off. Allot only have 25 80 and 443 open. (I have tried)

Thank Post
    My first question is how bothered can ISP's be?

Just because what their customers may be using their connection for may not be legal, the customer is still paying the ISP x amount on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Say the user goes a little nuts one month, that could mean that the ISP makes an extra 5 a month for going over their cap.

How far do / can ISP's follow trails?

No matter what anyone does, there IS a trail left behind.

ISPs obviously monitor their customers usage in order to throttle bandwidth for certain users according to their usage patterns or alternatively place port restrictions to encourage users to stay within their FUP....

Again, I have noticed that FUP tends to be used more than T&C / contracts of late.

So that's great! ISP's can slow the speed at which customers illegally download. If a user is uncloaked, they can also do what they perhaps hate the most and cancel their contract or begin a ban.

So say a customer uses a VPN connection of some description. What happens then?

The ISP can see the customer is using a VPN connection, has a high data throughput on this connection, can throttle their connection so the download is even slower but they can't legally see anything due to encryption other than the endpoint to which the customer is connected. So what happens now? Do they break the law to uphold the law?

In fact, whilst on the subject of VPNs or more specifically, encryption, what would any of this matter anyway if everything is to be encrypted?

I'm also sure that I heard something when 21CN was first announced about the transports to be used and how the legal agencies would have large issues monitoring lines for suspicious activities and ensure country wide security?

No matter what, innocent people are going to end up getting hurt with this one way or another!

We need a law givvar! Bring in Judge Dread!
    *Facepalm*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can't start messing about throttling with encrypted connections. There's too much collateral damage. You'll break legitimate users HTTPS (on non-standard ports), VPNs and VoIP.

Any technical measures the ISPs attempt to deploy will just encourage better P2P technology. I'm betting on some sort of trackerless bittorrent. As the tracker is the weak point currently.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The majority of people that torrent copyright projected content have no intentions of buying it
    Apparently, you are wrong - Heavy illegal downloaders buy more music - Boing Boing

Thank Post
    this isnt even going to affect the big downloaders who have got every album and film going, they will just make it look like they are coming from all over the world. The people it is going to affect is the kids that dont understand the law and download a film cause they missed their friends trip to the cinema, this of course goes against their parents 3 strikes and not theirs.

Thank Post
    I would be happy to pay a download tax,
    Rapidshare already allows you to do https downloads, I expect this may become the norm soon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123