+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Gary McKinnon in Other News; Hey guys After watching the news earlier with more media coverage of Gary McKinnon's case I cant help but think ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Gary McKinnon

Hey guys

After watching the news earlier with more media coverage of Gary McKinnon's case I cant help but think to myself this fella is going to be made a example of in a big way,
    Whats your thoughts on this do you see Gary McKinnon as a guy with talent just searching for the truth pushed by a condition that doesnt let you think to far ahead of whats your actions could do to you or do you see all hackers as the enemy of technology,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talented but an idiot. He hacked into NASA and the US military. This is pretty serious stuff. They will make an example of him.

I remember a few years ago did someone from a high school hack into NASA? Or am i imagining this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    last person to do this was an australian, he is now a national security advisor for the US after his prison term. Was in 2000 I think

Thank Post
    He wasnt exactly your ethecal hacker by warning them about it, but its not as if he actually caused malicious damage.

With the UK making a one way extradition law to the US which was basicly just for him, its clear the US really want him. Its not looking good and they could have closed this up a long time ago, but they are making him out as if hes some kind of ultimate ninja hacker to cover for their own incompetance, inability to follow federal law for securing computers and embaresment that someone could get into the NSA, NASA and the Pentagon.

You also get the feeling that hes seen some stuff he shouldnt. Nothing a good trip via a stop over in a military base in Yemen wont fix tho.

Good luck Gary.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    last person to do this was an australian, he is now a national security advisor for the US after his prison term. Was in 2000 I think
    a very valid point that questions why they havent just give him a job lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    He's committed a crime so should be punished accordingly. I do have reservations about the amount of damage you can do bearing in mind I re-call (at the time) he was doing this over a dial-up connection.

What's always confused me, is the US easily have the money and resources available to make their networks physically separate from the world wide web, so why don't they do it?

I suspect in reality they'll put him in prison for a number of years, then offer him a deal to work with/for the agencies he allegedly attacked. Did he read confidential information on UFOs? I highly doubt it to be honest. Type in UFO on youtube and there are loads of stories/theories and most of them can be explained. Maybe he should of looked here first?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Type in UFO on youtube and there are loads of stories/theories and most of them can be explained. Maybe he should of looked here first?
    A totally other debate me thinks lol

Thank Post
    He's committed a crime so should be punished accordingly. I do have reservations about the amount of damage you can do bearing in mind I re-call (at the time) he was doing this over a dial-up connection.

What's always confused me, is the US easily have the money and resources available to make their networks physically separate from the world wide web, so why don't they do it?

I suspect in reality they'll put him in prison for a number of years, then offer him a deal to work with/for the agencies he allegedly attacked.
    I agree he has committed a crime by accessing the systems ideally he would have been tried here and given a minor sentence as the systems were insecure and he was not maliciously copying or destroying data (AFAIK).

The authorities here have shown no interest in prosecution so he should be tried in the USA but again I would only give a minor sentence.

The US Military's main argument is that they had to spend a lot of time and money ($700,000+) securing all their systems after he broke in. Well they should have done that in the 1st place so I don't see how they can argue that he caused financial damage.

TBH if they do make an example of him and send him to Federal Prison for 20+years it's unlikely he would come out alive given the level of violence in the US Prison system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    TBH if they do make an example of him and send him to Federal Prison for 20+years it's unlikely he would come out alive given the level of violence in the US Prison system.
    so with that in mind dont you think he should be tried in the UK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    The authorities here have shown no interest in prosecution so he should be tried in the USA but again I would only give a minor sentence.
    had the crime been in the US, he wouldnt be coming over here...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    so with that in mind dont you think he should be tried in the UK
    Yes why not, he was in the UK when he commited the crime, we have computer misuse laws that could be used. If he was tried here and found innocent (due to lack of evidence) then he could not be extradited for the same crime. The CPS looked at the case and decided securing a conviction here was unlikely, some would say they have been lent on by the US not to proceed.

Thank Post

I suspect in reality they'll put him in prison for a number of years, then offer him a deal to work with/for the agencies he allegedly attacked. Did he read confidential information on UFOs? I highly doubt it to be honest. Type in UFO on youtube and there are loads of stories/theories and most of them can be explained. Maybe he should of looked here first?
    IIRC, when Obama moved into the White House he found they still had Win95 on standalone machines.

Thank Post
    IMHO, UK government should have told US government to shove it up their arses.

We have laws here that cover that sort of thing... he should be tried properly. The US have too many secrets, I don't trust them at all. Don't trust our government either, but I think they'd be a lot more trustworthy if there was less of a compulsion for them to hang out with the US and do what they say/think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    We have laws here that cover that sort of thing... he should be tried properly. The US have too many secrets, I don't trust them at all. Don't trust our government either, but I think they'd be a lot more trustworthy if there was less of a compulsion for them to hang out with the US and do what they say/think.
    We have a one way extradition law now!

Thats a special relationship! *

* aka: the reacharound
    ** aka: The Anglo-American Establishment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Why would they give him a job if he is not a 'master hacker', by all accounts he broke in by using default accounts to unfirewalled systems that's the same as breaking into a house by walking in when the door is open. You won't get hired by the police to test locks afterwards!

McKinnon hacking case relies on heresay - internal CPS document | 16 Jul 2009 | ComputerWeekly.com
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by somabc; 11th August 2009 at 11:18 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast