+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
IT News Thread, eyeOS in Other News; Originally Posted by Gatt Erm yes and no - the web is accessed within eyeOS via the browser you use ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Erm yes and no - the web is accessed within eyeOS via the browser you use to login to eyeOS with - if that makes any sense? so they will still be forced out via the usual proxy settings already in place...
    Unless someone clever comes along and creates a version with php doing the proxying...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Unless someone clever comes along and creates a version with php doing the proxying...
    Probably, but surely content filtering software such as Smoothwall would block any php based proxy's?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Probably, but surely content filtering software such as Smoothwall would block any php based proxy's?
    That all depends on how it is presented to the content filter.

Thank Post

Smile

Hi,

eyeos doesn't like WAMP 2.0i cos it uses PHP 5.3 and eyeos wants 5.2.x
    This will be fixed in the next release.
    eyeos is supposed to require PHP 5.x.

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    Sorry my mistake hmm wonder if will run on vps..
    It should. Why would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    I've seen this concept before, had accounts at a couple of sites which went bust trying this out. Problem is that whilst it looks fancy, I don't see the point.

I can do most of that already just using Zoho.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but working on Zoho is working on Zoho's server. Working on eyeos is working on YOUR server. Same applies to Google Docs. While it may be a tiny difference for you, it will be the key concept for some organizations and companies (and also a lot of geeks ^^).

Now, about the proxies: with the current default version you CANNOT use eyeos to bypass your restrictive proxies/firewalls. So you just need to have a squidguard in your school for example, to prevent any child from accessing unauthorized websites or services.

Then, it is possible to install a special PHP proxy on your server to better control and interact with the browsing (directly save images to your account without saving them first on your local computer for instance). Those services are not bundled with the default system but proposed to organizations (schools first) that want this kind of feature.

Tiny detail: even though the browser (eyeNav) is subject to the same restrictions as the "real" browser on your local computer, the FTP client uses the eyeOS server to access and manage remote only using HTTP between you and eyeos. This means you can access your FTP server from a HTTP-only restricted area and download/upload files to it.

If you need more information: eyeos.org / forums.eyeos.org

Thanks!

AnaŽl - eyeos.org

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanawel View Post
    Now, about the proxies: with the current default version you CANNOT use eyeos to bypass your restrictive proxies/firewalls. So you just need to have a squidguard in your school for example, to prevent any child from accessing unauthorized websites or services.

Then, it is possible to install a special PHP proxy on your server to better control and interact with the browsing (directly save images to your account without saving them first on your local computer for instance). Those services are not bundled with the default system but proposed to organizations (schools first) that want this kind of feature.

Tiny detail: even though the browser (eyeNav) is subject to the same restrictions as the "real" browser on your local computer, the FTP client uses the eyeOS server to access and manage remote only using HTTP between you and eyeos. This means you can access your FTP server from a HTTP-only restricted area and download/upload files to it.
    Ok, so the default code doesn't allow it but you know what kids are like... it won't take them long to hack their own version.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ok, so the default code doesn't allow it but you know what kids are like... it won't take them long to hack their own version.
    No. I mean then the problem is with your proxy settings, not with eyeos.
    The eyeNav browser is just an iframe, so it's like opening a new tab in your local browser (with some additional features actually). If you can find a workaround with it, it means your proxy/firewall settings are wrong.

Thank Post
    @Nanawel - first - welcome to EduGeek!

I managed to get eyeOS working with WAMP after installing a PHP 5.2.x

I am interested in using this at our school as they want to teach about Open Source, - is there away to import users from either AD or CSV?

Thank Post
    @Nanawel - first - welcome to EduGeek!
    I am interested in using this at our school as they want to teach about Open Source, - is there away to import users from either AD or CSV?
    Unfortunately there is no "easy" (= direct) way to do this, but this is exactly what a we are planning to add for one of our customers. More precisely the CSV import system.
    Once developed (before october), the result will be released in Open-source so it should be directly included in the default release.

In the meantime, you can use an old but useful tool: massAccount.

We are planning to focus our efforts on the educational domain for the 1.x serie. So next releases should be more and more adapted to schools. Stay tuned!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information