+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
IT News Thread, eyeOS in Other News; Originally Posted by Gatt Erm yes and no - the web is accessed within eyeOS via the browser you use ...
  1. #16

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,105
    Thank Post
    512
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Erm yes and no - the web is accessed within eyeOS via the browser you use to login to eyeOS with - if that makes any sense? so they will still be forced out via the usual proxy settings already in place...
    Unless someone clever comes along and creates a version with php doing the proxying...

  2. #17

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,543
    Thank Post
    831
    Thanked 610 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Unless someone clever comes along and creates a version with php doing the proxying...
    Probably, but surely content filtering software such as Smoothwall would block any php based proxy's?

  3. #18

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,105
    Thank Post
    512
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Probably, but surely content filtering software such as Smoothwall would block any php based proxy's?
    That all depends on how it is presented to the content filter.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Smile

    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    eyeos doesn't like WAMP 2.0i cos it uses PHP 5.3 and eyeos wants 5.2.x
    This will be fixed in the next release.
    eyeos is supposed to require PHP 5.x.

    Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    Sorry my mistake hmm wonder if will run on vps..
    It should. Why would it not?

    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    I've seen this concept before, had accounts at a couple of sites which went bust trying this out. Problem is that whilst it looks fancy, I don't see the point.

    I can do most of that already just using Zoho.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but working on Zoho is working on Zoho's server. Working on eyeos is working on YOUR server. Same applies to Google Docs. While it may be a tiny difference for you, it will be the key concept for some organizations and companies (and also a lot of geeks ^^).

    Now, about the proxies: with the current default version you CANNOT use eyeos to bypass your restrictive proxies/firewalls. So you just need to have a squidguard in your school for example, to prevent any child from accessing unauthorized websites or services.

    Then, it is possible to install a special PHP proxy on your server to better control and interact with the browsing (directly save images to your account without saving them first on your local computer for instance). Those services are not bundled with the default system but proposed to organizations (schools first) that want this kind of feature.

    Tiny detail: even though the browser (eyeNav) is subject to the same restrictions as the "real" browser on your local computer, the FTP client uses the eyeOS server to access and manage remote only using HTTP between you and eyeos. This means you can access your FTP server from a HTTP-only restricted area and download/upload files to it.


    If you need more information: eyeos.org / forums.eyeos.org

    Thanks!


    AnaŽl - eyeos.org

  5. #20

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,105
    Thank Post
    512
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanawel View Post
    Now, about the proxies: with the current default version you CANNOT use eyeos to bypass your restrictive proxies/firewalls. So you just need to have a squidguard in your school for example, to prevent any child from accessing unauthorized websites or services.

    Then, it is possible to install a special PHP proxy on your server to better control and interact with the browsing (directly save images to your account without saving them first on your local computer for instance). Those services are not bundled with the default system but proposed to organizations (schools first) that want this kind of feature.

    Tiny detail: even though the browser (eyeNav) is subject to the same restrictions as the "real" browser on your local computer, the FTP client uses the eyeOS server to access and manage remote only using HTTP between you and eyeos. This means you can access your FTP server from a HTTP-only restricted area and download/upload files to it.
    Ok, so the default code doesn't allow it but you know what kids are like... it won't take them long to hack their own version.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ok, so the default code doesn't allow it but you know what kids are like... it won't take them long to hack their own version.
    No. I mean then the problem is with your proxy settings, not with eyeos.
    The eyeNav browser is just an iframe, so it's like opening a new tab in your local browser (with some additional features actually). If you can find a workaround with it, it means your proxy/firewall settings are wrong.

  7. #22

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,543
    Thank Post
    831
    Thanked 610 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    432
    @Nanawel - first - welcome to EduGeek!

    I managed to get eyeOS working with WAMP after installing a PHP 5.2.x

    I am interested in using this at our school as they want to teach about Open Source, - is there away to import users from either AD or CSV?

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    @Nanawel - first - welcome to EduGeek!
    I am interested in using this at our school as they want to teach about Open Source, - is there away to import users from either AD or CSV?
    Unfortunately there is no "easy" (= direct) way to do this, but this is exactly what a we are planning to add for one of our customers. More precisely the CSV import system.
    Once developed (before october), the result will be released in Open-source so it should be directly included in the default release.

    In the meantime, you can use an old but useful tool: massAccount.

    We are planning to focus our efforts on the educational domain for the 1.x serie. So next releases should be more and more adapted to schools. Stay tuned!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •