+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
IT News Thread, Google to create new Chrome OS in Other News; Originally Posted by Theblacksheep The giant cloud toolbar. Nice little piece from El Reg: Google's vanity OS is Microsoft's dream ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    The giant cloud toolbar.

Nice little piece from El Reg:
    Google's vanity OS is Microsoft's dream ? The Register

"The idea of a desktop running a thin OS served by the cloud is fine - until you want to do image processing, or make music or videos. You do realise there's more to a PC than updating your Facebook profile, right?"
    yes, but how much *more* do you really want to do on an atom or arm powered netbook ?

It's already the case that demand has moved from how-cheap-can-it-go to how can you make one more like a fully functional laptop while maintaining ultraportability and not be quite as obsessed with making it absurdly cheap ? In other words expectations have risen, and the novelty factor of the netbook as originally thought out has worn off somewhat.

I see the advantage of what google are doing as addressing the issue for the netbook specifically, which has suffered from a square block round hole problem of people wanting to run xp or a halfway house linux experience. Far better to approach it from a different angle. Address the issues around security and maintenance for the novice user, make something that is truly uncomplicated.

Then again i personally never really embraced the whole netbook thing. Much happier with a lightweight unibody macbook. Don't feel the need to squint at a 10" screen and struggle with titchy touchpads. Infact in my view, i only need two portable devices, a 12/13" laptop with or without optical drive and with either ULV or core2 processor. And a touchscreen smartphone [android based phone is good for starters]. So for me the real interest from google is in android. ChromeOS is just a curiosity.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The vast majority of business users do nothing more than calendaring, email, office documents and websites. Google provides all this and is a good place to go if you want your business noticed by their searches.
    Plus CRM, data analysis (corporate data, not the kind you want google to have), and a hundred other applications which you don't want to be indexed by a disreputable advertsising company.

How long until they start pushing other companies to your contacts, basing their targetting on your own business model?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    ...they are counting on HTML5 competing well in the flash/silverlight space?
    I guess this will then depend if (Google/Apple favoured) H.264 triumphs over (Mozilla/Opera favoured) Ogg Theora in the HTML5 video codec debate ??

Thank Post

PEO
    Thank Post
    Sounds like my iphone does a better job

Thank Post
    The vast majority of business users do nothing more than calendaring, email, office documents and websites.
    Really? I've worked in a variety of roles and industries (especially during time with a temping agency) and I think that every company I worked for had some form of proprietary or third party application, typically finance software or customer tracking.

Google OS has a sound home market but only limited commercial one, I reckon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Really? I've worked in a variety of roles and industries (especially during time with a temping agency) and I think that every company I worked for had some form of proprietary or third party application, typically finance software or customer tracking.

Google OS has a sound home market but only limited commercial one, I reckon.
    And many of these are java applications. Interestingly, google are developing app engine, which will run java apps in the cloud. Pretty handy to have you inhouse apps with api's into your docs/mail etc

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3GT4-m_6RQ"]YouTube - Google App Engine - Early Look at Java Language Support[/ame]
    Google App Engine - Google Code

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And many of these are java applications. Interestingly, google are developing app engine, which will run java apps in the cloud. Pretty handy to have you inhouse apps with api's into your docs/mail etc

YouTube - Google App Engine - Early Look at Java Language Support
    Google App Engine - Google Code
    I have yet to work in a single place where their main, mission-critical applications are written in Java. If I did I wouldn't want to work there for long.

I have seen these programs written for DOS, Windows, various flavours of Linux and even one which needed users to telnet into a Unix box, but I've never seen one written in Java.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    I have yet to work in a single place where their main, mission-critical applications are written in Java.
    sun? oracle? All the IBM apps I've looked at seem to be Java.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A lot of major business systems use Java as it is a superb business oriented language, with the various editions of it for enterprise.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I have yet to work in a single place where their main, mission-critical applications are written in Java. If I did I wouldn't want to work there for long.
    The Dixons Stores Group repos (till) system is entirely written in Java - It never worked properly from day 1. But thats due to very poor implementation rather than problems with Java IMHO. Also they use Open Office 1 on the desktop, which I'm sure also relies very heavily on Java.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The Dixons Stores Group repos (till) system is entirely written in Java - It never worked properly from day 1. But thats due to very poor implementation rather than problems with Java IMHO. Also they use Open Office 1 on the desktop, which I'm sure also relies very heavily on Java.
    Precisely - don't blame a language for bad implementation. Unless it is VB of course, as that encourages poor implementation.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    I read the BBC article.

Its basically a bootable browser, with all apps running on googles server farms and so requires a internet connection to function.
    So more aimed that the home user than "enterprise" (which includes schools)

Based on those facts, and the obvious nature in which google uses such stored information to push adverts and gain financial reward from the data stored on its servers I think I have made my mind up.

Questions such as Will sims run on it? Is the data security acceptable etc are a joke.
    One thing often overlooked with the whole "cloud computing" idea is the issue of data protection laws. Companies such a Google are already based in countries with weak data protection laws. Such systems are also very likely to be targeted by both government snoops and organised crime (in some parts of the world these may be the same people).

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Plus CRM, data analysis (corporate data, not the kind you want google to have), and a hundred other applications which you don't want to be indexed by a disreputable advertsising company.
    Which is worrying enough even if your data isn't covered by the DPA, thus has no business being within a few thousand km of Google.

Also when you trust any company with your data you are also trusting anyone they trust and anyone who has sucessfully infiltrated them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    Which is worrying enough even if your data isn't covered by the DPA, thus has no business being within a few thousand km of Google.

Also when you trust any company with your data you are also trusting anyone they trust and anyone who has sucessfully infiltrated them.
    Please read up on 'SafeHarbour'. Export.gov - Safe Harbor

It means that exported data is covered to the same standards as the EU, otherwise exporting that data would actually not just be an issue, but would be illegal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast