+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, E-bullying campagn in Other News; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5210886.stm This is the same article as is on the homepage. I predict much faffing over this, and I like ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

E-bullying campagn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5210886.stm

This is the same article as is on the homepage. I predict much faffing over this, and I like the way the govt is hinting that we buy in expensive systems to keylog, monitor, rrecord everything.
    Scary, scary scary (not the legislation, but the work involved).

Thank Post

Re: E-bullying campagn

mmm, I was very nervous when reading this as well.

I particularly like:

"Every school should account for cyber-bullying in their compulsory anti-bullying policies, and should take firm action where it occurs."

You can account for it and write it in, the proof is sometimes much harder (without the aid of keloggers, monitoring software).

The problem we have (and undoubtedly everyone else suffers too) is where do you draw the line?

The other week I was involved with a case of cyber-bullying and it turned out that the bully wasn't even in school when sending emails, abuse etc... but the parent of the victim still blamed the school for giving them internet access! (omitting the fact that the child had 'net access at home too).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep ... we have this too

We are looking at creating a walled garden for the students to use, but we have to remember that a chunk of the other people students want to talk with are not at the same school ... so a walled garden would not work ... unless it is a county / region wide walled garden .... and then you get the politics and finances that go with it all ...

And the idea gets shelved again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

I thinks it is a typical New Labour 'Technology will solve everything' solution, that like always does not take reality into account.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Yep ... we have this too

We are looking at creating a walled garden for the students to use, but we have to remember that a chunk of the other people students want to talk with are not at the same school ... so a walled garden would not work ... unless it is a county / region wide walled garden.
    The county-wide plan hits a snag too - one of my schools is near to a county boundary, and a neighbouring school at most two miles away is a different county. And the way things work around here with getting school places, some of the children from one might very conceivable live in the same streets as children from the other and be friends out of school. It's a very difficult problem to think of a solution to which will please everyone.

Thank Post

It's nothing new this and it's something that we have all had to include in our AUPs and policy documents for years.

Blocking of webmail, chat-rooms, etc. and providin an equivalent service hosted by the School, which can then be monitored is the way forward IMHO. After all, you cannot block exposure completly.

There is also a degree of common sense involved and educating the little darlings to protect themselves online.

Thank Post

This 'news' story has p*ssed me off no end. :x

<rant>
    Another politician jumping on a bandwagon - we must protect our children - bound to get headlines.

The evidence is from a survey of 92 kids in london spread over 20 schools. I've read the full report, its bull, any decent statistician would have thrown it out. Thats 92 surveys from nearly 3.5 million kids 11-16 . Only 6 kids reported being cyber bullied more than twice. Just 4 kids bullied in school by email or instant message. And the impact of this cyber bullying is very low (according to the kids).

Most of the bullying is done outside school control - phone, text, picture message, home computer. No way can we control this stuff. 80/91 kids say banning phones and email etc in school would have no effect.

Kids are evil, they will hurt each other wether its with a brick or an email.

So the government will want us to waste thousands on stopping this, without having done any real research as to wether it is actually a real problem. Not only that, they'll just issue some half ar*ed guidelines that we should check kids emails.

</me pulls out what bit of hair I have left>

</rant>

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have to admit to posting a similar comment on the BBC site.

I spent 3 days trying to get information from Tescos about the materials from NCH ... and got nowhere. This ranged from several stores through to numerous departments in head office. The eventual answer was to go and grab a few packs from the local store when they are available.

NCH admitted that they were in the hands of Tescos and that we just have to be patient.

There are very few times when I want to receive spam ... but to be spammed about the materials from NCH / Tescos would not be a bad thing IMHO.

I will be looking to do a number of things with our website over the summer ... and one of them is a bullying message box. People can report bullying in whatever form they have experienced it ... in school or outside.

But this 'jump on the badwagon' by politicians ... for work that has been going on for sometime ... is annoying. Why jump on the badwagon now? The wagon has not only been loaded, done several trips, had a respray and had routes changed ... but it is close to being privatised and relauched using PFI.

Thank Post

It was nothing to do with me either

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    It's nothing new this and it's something that we have all had to include in our AUPs and policy documents for years.

Blocking of webmail, chat-rooms, etc. and providin an equivalent service hosted by the School, which can then be monitored is the way forward IMHO. After all, you cannot block exposure completly.

There is also a degree of common sense involved and educating the little darlings to protect themselves online.
    Spot on.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Yep ... we have this too

We are looking at creating a walled garden for the students to use, but we have to remember that a chunk of the other people students want to talk with are not at the same school ... so a walled garden would not work ... unless it is a county / region wide walled garden .... and then you get the politics and finances that go with it all ...

And the idea gets shelved again.
    Have you looked at Securus? We are trialling it for two weeks in September- if you think it would help pop along and take a look around mid-September (should have some hard and fast results by then) and see what you think.

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Tried it before at CTC ... nice kit and works well ... but doesn't cover home access.

Thank Post

Securus - how about the government or LEA takes a look at this and strikes up a deal with these companies. The price of this kit is appalling, we found securus very helpful for catching kids out, we tried it out for a month or so. However we could not justify the cost.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by danIT
    Securus - how about the government or LEA takes a look at this and strikes up a deal with these companies. The price of this kit is appalling, we found securus very helpful for catching kids out, we tried it out for a month or so. However we could not justify the cost.
    Yeah- I have a feeling the cost will be prohibitive for us too- around £8000 I am told!

8O

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

With a little funding such a system could be coded from scratch ... unfortunately that will not happen as it cuts out competition of providers of security and can be viewed as anti-competitive.

The usual example of this becoming a cluster-fsck is that of BBC learning content 9government funded) leading to eLCs to be spent with naff companies because the government is funding / creating resources that mean you don't have to by stuff from others.

Just mention this sort of situation to people over at Schoolforge-UK and you will get a more indepth analysis of how pants it is.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast