+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
IT News Thread, Oracle Buys Sun in Other News; I like oracleSQL...although the fact that mySQL is opensource is a huge bonus for it! Perhaps they will do better ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like oracleSQL...although the fact that mySQL is opensource is a huge bonus for it!

Perhaps they will do better support for mySQL or something? who knows!

Thank Post
    I think it'll help them survive. I mean back in the day every "big" business used to have Sun servers is SunOS on running Oracle, now, people are looking at Redhat or worse yet Windows. The problem is when big players like banks start looking at Windows, they don't tent to come back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I think it'll help them survive. I mean back in the day every "big" business used to have Sun servers is SunOS on running Oracle, now, people are looking at Redhat or worse yet Windows. The problem is when big players like banks start looking at Windows, they don't tent to come back.
    most "big" businesses have a varied server estate. It's true that many companies that were predominantly sun/solaris on sparc have embraced the x86-64 revolution with OS like redhat and windows. Sun must have looked on in horror as their dominance in the late 90's began eroding away because of linux and windows 2000.

Most workloads are perfectly suitable for either linux and windows, and many of these orgs who chose
    x86 instead of sun's sparc needed a level support so redhat and windows would have both been heavily popular choices, and taking market share off of sun as companies used x86 where previously they may have used smaller sparc servers.

companies buying servers figured this out years ago, it's why sun had to respond with it's own x86 lineup of servers and subsequently it released it's own multicore sparc chip predicting the rise of high density, high performance low power draw servers. Sadly, while the Ultrasparc T1 T2 have done hundreds of millions in sales they are a niche, albeit a large niche. Unfortunately they had a bit of a stop-start strategy with x86 to begin with, so while converting existing sparc shops to the multicore ultrasparcs for certiain workloads has been very successful, i'm not sure how successful their products have been in gaining new customers. They've clearly clawed back some ground having been caught napping with the wrong strategies....but in the x86 market they are still a distant 4th. I still reckon they are selling predominantly into higher education. And where is opensolaris in relation to redhat and Windows ?

Commercial solaris release on sparc was, and still is, mainly running big databases...and other demanding single threaded workloads.

So expensive, multiprocessor systems are still used in abundance in big business and universities. And sun while no longer dominant has decent market share....sun's problem in this regard has been ibm and to a lesser extent hp. Basically, sun have been doing a half-decent job of reinventing themselves with recent products. They've had to battle uphill against upstarts like Dell in the server market, and now have a good intel server lineup. they look to want to give netapp and emc a run in the storage market with their opensolaris/zfs based products, and having watched while ibm came from nowhere to usurp them from the top of the unix server market this deal now gives them extra weight when looking to sell more big unix iron....they may even see some increase in low-end server sales if oracle get aggressive with selling oracle or MySQL powered applications to smaller businesses. I'm less convinced the latter is going to take off anytime soon....sun/oracle types may want to wax lyrical about java, but microsoft and partner ISV's know how to sell to this market better than anyone.

Sun already shown what's capable with opensolaris with the impressive new storage products. Oracle, if they are smart will harness the flexibiltiy and power of opensolaris for some server solutions for smb's.

Thank Post
    Guys,

does this make me an Oracle partner now ?

Seriously though, it is too early to speculate on what will happen. The best place to get the info from is

Oracle and Sun

or

www.sun.com/oracle

I think that in the long term this is going to be good for the Sun portfolio and all of the cool and funky stuff will prosper under new management.

However, we shall have to wait and see.

Anyone for Oracle Rays ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linescanner View Post
    does this make me an Oracle partner now ?
    Makes you look more tasty that's for sure. If I order anything does it come with free Sun MicroSystem shares?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Makes you look more tasty that's for sure. If I order anything does it come with free Sun MicroSystem shares?
    Wish I had bought a load when they were 2.50 and a pickled egg.

Thank Post
    I bl00dy said to one of the teachers to buy them, pre-SUN selling AMD servers. Wonder if he'll cut me in? Hahaha.... still in that dream world

Thank Post
    This is a pretty big deal for Oracle though.

This should have a noticeable impact on the virtualization industry. Sun is in the final stages of developing a virtualization portfolio, "the xVM family".

Oracle announced development of its own virtual infrastructure in late 2007.

With this deal Oracle gets the entire Sun virtualization portfolio making the acquisition key for Oracle as it is now is in a position to become a dangerous competitor for VMware!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    With this deal Oracle gets the entire Sun virtualization portfolio making the acquisition key for Oracle as it is now is in a position to become a dangerous competitor for VMware!
    really ? how do you work that one out ? Why should sun being owned by oracle make sun's virtualization any more or less of a competitor against vmware, microsoft or citrix.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    really ? how do you work that one out ? Why should sun being owned by oracle make sun's virtualization any more or less of a competitor against vmware, microsoft or citrix.
    More developers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    By purchasing Sun, Oracle will pick up a bulging grab bag of properties, from MySQL to xVM products to a strong set of service and support operations. Successfully incorporating them could give Oracle many weapons for use against various rivals, not the least of which are IBM & VMWare

Sun has focused heavily on virtualization, offering both the open source xVM Server hypervisor for data centers and the xVM Ops Center to manage virtual and physical infrastructures. It has also joined Microsoft's third-party server virtualization validation program.

These technologies give Oracle an entree into the market for virtualizing data centers and managing the virtualized data center.

Thank Post
    Well - Oracle is a darn site better than IBM thats for sure. At least Oracles product portfolio isnt in full competition with Suns!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Well - Oracle is a darn site better than IBM thats for sure. At least Oracles product portfolio isnt in full competition with Suns!

Butuz
    Yeah.... IBM are probably a little bit more intimidated by Oracle/Sun now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post

Butuz
    yes. but oracle are a software company. this would be the first time they've owned a hardware business ?

it wouldn't be too hard for oracle to develop their own virtualization platform, xVM is after all based on Xen. What was stopping oracle from developing their own xen based virtualization product. They released their own linux product....sure i take the point about having a full stack from hardware all the way through to applications, but they've already had partnerships with the likes of HP to sell full solutions.

I do believe this had the potential to be an interesting acquisition for oracle, but i'm wondering how much it really affects people on here who i'm guessing don't or rarely use oracle products and can and do use mysql, sun hardware, xvm if and when they want to irrespective of what value, if any, oracle can add. I await to see what value Oracle can add for the small business.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12