+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
IT News Thread, Inventing the future Ė Phil Nealís Education Mouthpiece from Capita in Other News; Originally Posted by contink As someone who loves what I can do with computers but continually hitting the hard realisation ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    As someone who loves what I can do with computers but continually hitting the hard realisation that children simply don't have the freedom, opportunity or desire to get out there and "play in the mud" the whole approach now seems to be to replace the real world with virtual ones where it's "safe" I couldn't have put this better.

I've realised that when I have children I want to move into the country, have space, a community spirit and give those kids the opportunity to get dirty, hurt themselves, get up, dust themselves off and actually live a life that doesn't require cotton wool except to make a beard for santa on a ruddy Christmas card... Unfortunately I'll probably be sued for neglecting those same children.

When did I become a throwback.
    We used to have that in urban ideas, it was actually possible to have an outdoorsy life as a child without having to up sticks to the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately the move to this cotton wool, isolationist existence has picked up steam since the nulabour movement got it's mandate.

It has also given the public services bodies the green light to go mad with the red tape and beuaracracy. There is certainly the sense that the policies and procedures designed to stop them from getting sued is a pretty major hindrance in so many areas

But by and large parents still have a say in our their kids grow up in spite of the nanny state.......it's just that most would rather go with current sentiment. Whenever i hear of people wanting a sense of 'community' and wanting to move to the country i just think of people who've given up on their OWN communities and ironically don't themselves want to get their hands dirty.....like the parents with sharp elbows who'd rather load themselves with debt to get their kids into private education rather than have try and do their best withint he state schools system like everyone else.

What i'd love for once is for someone to move to the country and actually become a farmer.....be a pig farmer, or run a poultry farm, or be a farm hand and do the hard yakka and survive on a meagre income rather than live the middle class idle of life in the country. I'd have much more respect for that individual than someone who went for a life of kayaking and country pubs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kesomir View Post
    Wowe beeswax, you weren't understating when you said it got you excited were you?

Either that or you got some awesome coffee today!

Hope the Online Degree works out for you - is it OU?
    I don't really drink much coffee these days, it's too much of a diuretic for me.
    The degree is here BA (Hons) Learning, Technology and Research; An online degree offered through the Ultraversity scheme at Anglia Ruskin University, UK.
    I get excited because I strongly believe that education and learning are important, and sadly for many education stops when they leave school.
    If you take the Edugeek community as an example, some have their MCSE, some have computing degrees, some have simply learned through experience, but the one thing I feel the majority of us on here share is the willingness to learn, to improve, and to share that learning with everybody else. For the most part people here are self motivated to learn. That may be because the schools you work for don't offer any training, or won't fund it, don't see the need for it, but in order for "things" to work properly we put in the time and research ourselves. That is important. You want to learn, to enquire, to experiment and to apply that knowledge to raise, for example, a static school website into something dynamic (cue sysman_mk and apologies to those not mentioned in this roll of honour).
    We're all the better for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This community has many members who have demonstrated what it means when we talk about independent learning,one of several reasons why it annoys me when techies are excluded from some of the educational discussions about online learning. Many of us understand what the barriers and opportunities are far quicker than *some* teachers and why others are happy to talk with us and keep us involved.

Whilst I am also annoyed at the slow pace of the creation of standards I can understand where issues are and all we can do right now is to pressure sifa to get all parties singing the same tune, remembering that some will have concerns about investments already made, some about security, some about the direction of govt agendas and some that the LA / regional model off SIF is not appropriate to a school focussed system that we have in the UK.

This is already a long running discussion and one that I will be picking up at BETT.

Thank Post
    beeswax - it is for those very reasons that I too am excited by the words being spoken and written. Learning to learn, discovering for ourselves, exploring the possibilities. The question I ask is, how have we in this community come to have such "attributes" (very lose term but I am loathe to use the word "skills")? Were we taught such things in our own school days? Were we all brought up in the kind of communities mentioned earlier? Or is it that we have found the practice of enquiry to be a practical solution?

That's the thing about learning it generates more questions than answers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    beeswax - it is for those very reasons that I too am excited by the words being spoken and written. Learning to learn, discovering for ourselves, exploring the possibilities. The question I ask is, how have we in this community come to have such "attributes" (very lose term but I am loathe to use the word "skills")? Were we taught such things in our own school days? Were we all brought up in the kind of communities mentioned earlier? Or is it that we have found the practice of enquiry to be a practical solution?

That's the thing about learning it generates more questions than answers.
    You could start by looking here - Communities of practice which neatly defines what we do.
    As for the how have we come to this position, I feel part of it is down to human nature, enquiry and sharing what we have learned, and having built on that knowledge we learn again that by applying more than one mind to a problem we are more likely to reach a satisfactory solution. It would be difficult to pinpoint the exact time that an online forum became a community of learning, and how we as techies came to discover this for ourselves, but we weren't the first, and we won't be the last. I feel that humans are generally social creatures who appreciate dialogue.

What we are doing here is in part what educationalists are trying to move towards in primary and secondary education (I can't speak for higher education). When you look for an answer on the internet in general, or Edugeek in particular, do you feel that you're learning, extending your education, or simply solving a problem? It's when learning becomes something you feel you have to do that you move from problem solving to enriching not only yourself but your organization.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The key here is that as educators (I use term to mean anyone working in a school) we are not teaching skills for them to use the skill on their own. We are teaching the skills so they can be used in context to learn new information. So in effect we are giving pupils ability to learn new things. As learning things is what we do the most in adult life.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    The key here is that as educators (I use term to mean anyone working in a school) we are not teaching skills for them to use the skill on their own. We are teaching the skills so they can be used in context to learn new information. So in effect we are giving pupils ability to learn new things. As learning things is what we do the most in adult life.

Russ
    I suppose with this we need to remember that we are teaching our students skills now, for jobs that are yet to be invented!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Reading between the lines there Russ, are you saying we don't need teachers?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Teachers, in the broadest sense of the word. are still needed. When we share what we know we are to some degree "teaching". We are all guides and facilitators, for each other. What I feel is important here is to nurture a disposition to learn in young people and adults with whom we intereact.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    No we need teachers as leco says we all have some kind of morel duty. But we need teachers to teach science for example so that a student can use that skill in another context at later date to learn something new.

They need basic skill for example to understand science for them to digest and learn the skill as it builds upon that.

danah boyd puts it a lot better than I can.

Handheld Learning 2008 - danah boyd

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12