+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
IT News Thread, Viglen prepares to sell out in Other News; Originally Posted by CyberNerd or Sun Nah. I still win....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    or Sun
    Nah. I still win.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    If you're going to spend thousands on a server, why not buy a decent one from Dell???
    Would not touch a Dell if you paid me

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    I doubt they will drop the Viglen brand there nothing really wrong with it.
    Million times better than RM imo

when I comes to cost, Viglen always win, pluss I have found the support is a loads better.
    Last edited by PEO; 11th January 2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: thought I best back my comment up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    Would not touch a Dell if you paid me
    I'll the flip the coin with you, I wouldn't touch a Viglen if you paid me.

We have 35 laptops here from Viglen... about 7 still run, but none of them are of any use for anything - they were rubbish when we got them as well, despite being above average spec at the time.

By comparison, we have PC's that are half the spec and half the RAM that run better than they can with a totally virgin XP install on them.

Thank Post
    Has there been any update to this rumour.....does it have any legs ?
    They were definatly in negotitations and I have heard from somebody that it is a done deal.

Viglen are quite strong in storage it wouldn't suprise me if they Viglen brand becomes the storage/services arm of Stone.

I can't seem to get onto the Viglen website at the moment I wonder if it is just a coincidence.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    I'll the flip the coin with you, I wouldn't touch a Viglen if you paid me.

We have 35 laptops here from Viglen... about 7 still run, but none of them are of any use for anything - they were rubbish when we got them as well, despite being above average spec at the time.

By comparison, we have PC's that are half the spec and half the RAM that run better than they can with a totally virgin XP install on them.
    what machines are you running?

Thank Post
    They were definatly in negotitations and I have heard from somebody that it is a done deal.

Viglen are quite strong in storage it wouldn't suprise me if they Viglen brand becomes the storage/services arm of Stone.

I can't seem to get onto the Viglen website at the moment I wonder if it is just a coincidence.
    I couldn't get on it on Friday, they've added a maintenance page now though.

Thank Post

Yep, that makes a lot of sense.....stone already do a lot in the way of storage catered for the small organisation.

Viglen would fit in as the storage services division for the midmarket and the small customer expanding into the midmarket. They seem to have some high value contract wins with hitachi kit, and there are a couple of case studies with datacore, sepaton and onstor products mentioned.....all of which fits nicely into that area where orgs are looking for more sophisticated and expandable storage needs beyong buffalo NASes.

It's ultra competitive and a crowded market place and you really need people who know their stuff.......that's the real value of what i think Stone would be buying.....that data services expertise. Sure getting all those customers who've bought the white boxes is nice, but what you really want to do is sell them storage/services and getting some repeat business.

How much is this deal worth then ? 10m, 20m, or 50million ?? I've no idea of how much a company like viglen would be valued at. Can they even acquire VSG as seperate from Viglen as a whole.

Thank Post
    I would thin the deal is for all of Viglen, I'm not sure on the valuation I know Viglen had a really poor year so I think Stone will look to pay as little as possible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I couldn't get on it on Friday, they've added a maintenance page now though.
    Intriguing :-)

The high performance computing web site is there (we've got quite a lot of the HPC stuff) as (I think) is the rest of the site if you know URLs (Google is your friend ...)

they've always sold a mix of stuff but their good stuff is as good as anyone else (eg real Intel motherboards, vPro etc) and their support is excellent.

Thank Post
    Maybe some news later this month.

Thank Post

mmm_cake

we're expecting an announcement at the end of the month, there is strong rumour that the deal has gone through. I would like to think that they would keep the Viglen brand & staff as we have such a good rapport with our customers but who knows! I'm going to be careful what i say as i dont want to get myself into trouble. It may be just rumour but noone at VHQ is getting any clarification at the moment.
    Last edited by mmm_cake; 20th January 2009 at 10:22 PM.

Thank Post

Viglen/ Stone deal is off

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish View Post
    Nah! It's probably just on hold so that Sir Alan has a premesis for the finalist interviews on the new series of The Apprentice starting next week!

Thank Post
    Let's look at thes numbers, from the article;

In the year to 30 September 2007 – Viglen’s latest audited accounts – revenues dropped nearly 11% to 45.6m, and profits dived 97.2% to 117,276. The firm blamed this on the loss of a contract in Northern Ireland and on the management team’s focus on the relocation of the business.
    In the 12 months to 31 December 2007, Stone revenues grew nearly 43% to 52.8m as profit after tax rose from 2.04m in the year before period to 3.07m. These results included an 11m contribution from the acquisition of Compusys.
    so viglen take 45.6m in revenue but a mere 117,276 in profit. Based on those drops the previous years figures wouldn't look that much better....just over 50m in revenue and just over 200k in profit.

stone meanwhile pre the 43% increase in revenue would have brought in over nearly 30m in revenue and 2.04m in profit for the previous year.

Firstly, why were viglen making such piddling little profits compared to a company like stone and more importantly i think stone's priority had the merge/acquisition gone ahead would have been to improve on those viglen profits over time because they would get a huge jump in revenues from the combined group, plus lot's of key viglen customers etc.

Also, the article seems to assume the benefits of a stone-viglen merger would be in the size of the enlarged business as a 'pc maker'. Professional services is where the money is....that's how you bump up those profits is my guess.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast