+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
IT News Thread, Whole class fails computer and technology course. in Other News; Originally Posted by Gibbo If the school aren't following the guidelines it's nobody's fault but their own. But it isn't ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    If the school aren't following the guidelines it's nobody's fault but their own.
    But it isn't the school being "punished", it is the kids who have "failed" through incompetence of their teacher. Maybe they should follow the recent example and sack them?

Thank Post
    What do you use to PDF them?

Butuz

mpe

Thank Post
    To be fair to them why should they accept MS Word documents? An RTF will open up in just about anything. A PDF is a universal format too and suitable for the job. I hate it when people send me .DOC or .DOCX attachments when it's not a file I will be editing.
    No doubt they'd be most unhappy if they were sent something in an OASIS format

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    But it isn't the school being "punished", it is the kids who have "failed" through incompetence of their teacher. Maybe they should follow the recent example and sack them?
    Even handing the teacher a UB40 isn't going to do much to help the students concerned. Who, it appears, would have to effectivly retate the exam.
    Instead it would make more sense for the school to lodge an appeal on behalf of the students.

Thank Post
    To be fair to them why should they accept MS Word documents? An RTF will open up in just about anything. A PDF is a universal format too and suitable for the job. I hate it when people send me .DOC or .DOCX attachments when it's not a file I will be editing.
    I have the same feelings. Several months ago while looking for a job, I submitted my CV to an organisation in PDF format, thinking they'd appreciate having it in a universal format (I doubt very much they need to or even should edit my CV). When I phoned them they said they couldn't do anything with my CV until I sent it to them in DOC format. I was a little amused by this to be honest.

Thank Post
    The story seems to gloss over the fact that the problem came from the teacher. If the pupils had known what format to save their documents in they could have all passed the exams the first time.

It is yet another case that pupils suffer from poor teaching, and the fact that it has not been picked up until too late is realy poor.

Apparently the problem was put the problem down to "technical glitches". Surely it cant be a teahcnical glitch. If this was the case it would be documented that they couldn't save in the appropriate format and that Edexcel would have been contacted before submitting the work. What in fact is more likely to have happened is the teacher hasn't read the requirements for submitting work and let the pupils save in a format they dont accept.

What is really even more frustrating is that I always remember being told to read the question carefully to ensure you answer it properly. If this was done, the problem could have been avioded.

OK Edexcel could have handled it a bit better. But it sounds like basic instruction problem where the teacher hasn't read everything properly and the school is trying to pass the blame onto someone else. In the meantime only the pupils suffer as its their exams results which have been affected.

Thank Post
    When I was a lad - our whole class failed Geography - the teacher used to make us sit in silence while he listened to the Test Match on his radio. The good old days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Isn't a bit much being made of this, ok its a complete cock-up but Edexcel are allowing them to resubmit in the correct format. They haven't really failed have they.

Though it would be gutting to find out after resubmission that you had failed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post

Butuz
    openoffice

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    When I was a lad - our whole class failed Geography - the teacher used to make us sit in silence while he listened to the Test Match on his radio. The good old days.
    During my A-Levels one of my units we had a supply teacher for most of the course due to staff illness. He informed me that the interim deadlines throughout the unit were simply guidelines and that it was unnecessary to hand your work in at those deadlines to get it checked if you felt you could use the time it was being checked to continue with it. So basically he was saying it wasn't compulsary to do this. So this is exactly what I did and when the final deadline arrived and the work was marked, I was asked why I missed the interim deadlines as my work would have been marked a B but was now downgraded to an E due to missing the deadlines.

I did inform them that I'd been given incorrect information but this made no difference, I ended up with an E for that unit which affected my final grade at the end of college.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post

Butuz
    Cute pdf, it installs a printer, which you print to, but does a file save as after you click print.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 809 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Threads merged.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12