+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, HP's sub-notebook a EeePC competitor? in Other News; HP's going after the Eee PC with a compact laptop that sports an 8.9in display and more connectivity options than ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

HP's sub-notebook a EeePC competitor?

HP's going after the Eee PC with a compact laptop that sports an 8.9in display and more connectivity options than the elfin Asus machine currently offers.
    There's an ExpressCard slot too and a webcam above the display. It has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It weighs from 1.13kg.
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02...aq_2133_spied/

Looks very shiny and a better screen, running at 1366 x 768. Don't know why they have a Vista operating system option though but at least Linux is an official option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    ooh looks nice Would be better with XP Pro on it I suspect though than Vista but we will see when it arrives on my desk as now HP make one I'm sure we will end up with one

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The big issue is the price - how much is it?

Thank Post
    Reg seem to think it is a potential competitor but any machine with the specs that is likely to have (in order to be Vista capable) must have a price-tag over £200.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    Well according to a report at digitimes is is going to be around $630 US. So about £350 - £400 when it gets over here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So it is too expensive for most schools then, as that is the price range for a usable full laptop.

The point, to schools, of a UMPC is the price - at £200, the eeePC is a perfect price really. Or the Elonex One (if it is any good) being £99 would be even better...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah. Far too expensive then. Back to Eee!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So it is too expensive for most schools then, as that is the price range for a usable full laptop.

The point, to schools, of a UMPC is the price - at £200, the eeePC is a perfect price really. Or the Elonex One (if it is any good) being £99 would be even better...
    I know of a school that bought direct from Dell Business recently 20 of the 6400 model laptops with XP pro, dual core and half a gig memory for sub 300 quid each, delivered.

I think the eeePC's are great if what you want is within the spec limitations, but I think schools will generally imagine the functionality to be better than it is. The laptop at £300 will last 3 yrs, a eeePC..who knows?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    I know of a school that bought direct from Dell Business recently 20 of the 6400 model laptops with XP pro, dual core and half a gig memory for sub 300 quid each, delivered.

I think the eeePC's are great if what you want is within the spec limitations, but I think schools will generally imagine the functionality to be better than it is. The laptop at £300 will last 3 yrs, a eeePC..who knows?
    What, a laptop with a 1 year warranty weighing nearly 3kg?

That is not the same, it is a lot more to carry around for a kid. The point of UMPC's is that they are perfect for kids to lug around.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What, a laptop with a 1 year warranty weighing nearly 3kg?

That is not the same, it is a lot more to carry around for a kid. The point of UMPC's is that they are perfect for kids to lug around.

Good point about the weight difference. Even so I reckon the laptop is potentiallly a better bet for reducing the weight that kids carry around in total though. Look at all the text books and workbooks they carry all day so they have them for the lessons, put all that on PDF for them and the overall load reduces.

Also somebody in health and safety will bring up the problems of RSA with the small keyboard and eye strain using a small screen on a UMPC for extended time periods:-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    Good point about the weight difference. Even so I reckon the laptop is potentiallly a better bet for reducing the weight that kids carry around in total though. Look at all the text books and workbooks they carry all day so they have them for the lessons, put all that on PDF for them and the overall load reduces.

Also somebody in health and safety will bring up the problems of RSA with the small keyboard and eye strain using a small screen on a UMPC for extended time periods:-)
    Our kids carry nothing around with them except the items needed for their lessons. This should be the same for all schools really. Do they not have lockers in your school?

I agree with the RSA problems though. UMPC's are meant to compliment traditional methods of learning, not replace them - so RSA risk should be reduced.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread