+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Community Project For You All : Letter TOI BCS in Other News; ok on wiki here http://www.russdev.com/edugeek/doku...._letter_to_bcs there is draft letter to BCS and schools working comittee (need to check that name). ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Community Project For You All : Letter TOI BCS

ok on wiki here http://www.russdev.com/edugeek/doku...._letter_to_bcs there is draft letter to BCS and schools working comittee (need to check that name).

Anyway edit and redraft as you like once it obvious that all the chanages have been made then will put a vote here for final draft so all can say fi you are happy if you are will send it to them.

Good old fasion community project...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Community Project For You All : Letter TOI BCS

bump

comes on guys and girls must have something to say to powers that be and if only way to get info across is to "play fiddle with the devil" then pass me that bow...

Russ

Thank Post

I'm killing time till I can go home so I might as well have a bash...

lots of minor edits that don't change what
    you're saying but do improve the flow slightly. moving sentence fragments around so they don't draw from the intended details.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

no problem point is this letter nit just from me but from edugeek community change what you want...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can you give us more information on this BCS "Schools Expert Panel" - I have no idea what they do or what they're about - so it's difficult to know what to write.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

imho these are people to target as they have resources/ backing and contacts...

I hope in someways that they look into using one of there working groups to focus on issue..

But for now just getting to be aware of situation and getting there support might improve somthing at least...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think it'd be a bit strange if these guys weren't already putting in a very strong case for us on issues like pay, grading, numbers of IT support staff and training.

With the progression of IT to core subject status [except here in Wales where we don't have room for another as Welsh Language is our third core subject ] schools have to face the reality of serious IT provision.

I'd like to know first what these guys are doing now on our behalf before wasting a request [Hope i'm not being ignorant here ].

If they're only looking at teaching roles in all of this I believe they are seriously misguided! The chair of the group has to be an accredited member of the BCS, but no-where does it say they're doing anything about the enginehouse [ie us!]. Thanks fellow techs for your support!

Can we send an investagatory letter asking what exactly they're doing here from thier memberships perspective?

I recon they'll be in for some serious flak if this shows that they're not helping the interests of thier members.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't hold your breath Mark. ICT (and indeed any subject in education) is first and foremost teacher-centric. Schools are primarily designed to accomodate teachers needs, which is why they hired us. However with the mass introduction of technologies into schools in the past 15 years schools are slowly beginning to realise that training one person to teach a class with nothing more than a blackboard, chalk and text books (and on some rare occasions a video) is rapidly vanishing over the horizon. IMHO The situation is getting better (indeed I may just go back into a schools as their wages are now topping mine in some Lancashire schools!), but still in the vast majority of schools they simply cannot cope with the idea of ICT as a school resource. I can almost guarentee that any organisation which is headed by an academic will not put supporting staff first!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

but that is some ways point of letter mark reminding the group about ict support...

unfortuntly and in some ways not bcs falt but as chris says this is problem with becta and education are very teacher centric views...

This is why need to get groups like bcs and other groups fighting our cornor....

BECTA art never going to be support staff focused as there funding is from goverment..

So need people to lobby goverment and other agencies and yes wages and conditions are improving but there is allot of work to do and point is.

We should not be comparing wages for our jobs compared to education what is differecne between school it tech and it tech working in copmany not much difference slightly different way of working but job is the same and so why should there be such a differecnce between wages.

Point is the schools group maybe not doing anything so we need them to get them to do something..

Maybe in letter put what are you doing for us now and what can you do for us in future...

Mark edit the page this is community letter not just from me i just put the basis up..

in end you have two choices complain and do nothing or complain and at least try and improve the situation.

Thank Post

Russ - I think I'm having an off day since I couldn't understand your last post much, but from what I did get...

Why shouldn't our wages be compared to those doing the teaching?

Surely, we have had to spend years learning to do what we do and without us there would be no resources to teach with. Does this not sound very much like a teacher - several years study and their teaching is the resource.

As Chris has mentioned before, it is the attitude of the majority (not all) educators that teachers should hold the 'highest' jobs in the school, and therefore be paid most. Whilst teachers wages are decided by el gov, ours are essentially capped.

I'm seriously considering a switch to tech support in a uni as my next step. Have you seen the wages!?!?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i agree obvious my post was confusing...

I agree our wages should compare to that of teachers as they should compare to industry as well were in both cases wages are higher..

i think tried to include repleis to both posts confused matter..

ok to Mark who from his post was saying bcs that should be doing something already in essence why should they if we do not tell them we want them to do something..

To chris and ric

agree it comes down to a fudmental mentallity of teachers are better and as said pay should compare to both teachers pay and commerical pay scales....

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    I'm seriously considering a switch to tech support in a uni as my next step. Have you seen the wages!?!?
    as am I .....

Would be nice (if there isn't any already) to get some uni it folk on the forum to hear their point of view on things in their establishments and environment

I'd love to get a job in networking / server admin / etc in a uni - must be good pay and a challenge to boot

aberystwyth uni - if you're looking....

Cheers,
    N.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

saying that worked at a college and ok pay better but get lot of politics but i think you are diluted from it as they are so big...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@ Dos_Box: I think a schools primary design is to educate kids. That schools are run by good teachers [that's why they rose to management positions after all, and not because they were good managers] makes the focus teacher centric - which is a mistake, although I agree - a fact of life [mostly].

That acedemics rule the roost is a huge disaster waiting to happen. The BECTA site is a case in point - pontification for it's own sake.

Things are moving big style in the way that schools are now looking at IT support and our positions. I agree there are good opportunities now for better pay and conditions.

@ Ric_: Yes Tech grades are decided locally by the school head. This is very unfair and leads to discrepancies between neighbouring schools for ppl doing the same job with identical resposibilities/workload. Powys are undertaking a re-grading review. Schools insist it doesn't affect them, school heads are adamant that they are the ultimate judge, but the government, the local councils and the unions all say different - we shall see - interesting times!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast