+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, School accused of causing bullying through its iPad scheme in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts

School accused of causing bullying through its iPad scheme

School accused of causing bullying through iPad scheme - Education News - Education - The Independent

A school which has asked parents to buy iPads for their children to use in class has been accused of creating a “two-tier” education system in which pupils who can’t afford the gadgets are bullied by their richer peers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's one of my biggest fears with this type of scheme. WIth so much emphasise on child safety these days, it's a little ironic that the use of technology can so often be the cause of problems

Thank Post
    That does seem rather bad if the school does create another way for students to be bullied, but the artical seems more to do with "would someone please think of the children" from parents. will this cause bullying? Yes, if they did not do the iPad scheme will it stop the bullying in the school? No, only give the students on less reason to bully someone.

Why do y5 and y6 need iPads? I know there are a load of education apps but if a lesson relies on an app that some students have on their iPads and others that have never had or delete that app that's the hole lesson plan gone. Or is this scheme away to look progressive?
    Last edited by Grey-gear; 26th July 2014 at 08:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very similar story from a school near me - Bamford Academy Rochdale iPads - Manchester Evening News

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Déjà vu, every time a school launches a scheme like this the parents have the same concerns and the media publish the same articles.

I'm yet to see an article about a school 1,2, 3 years in where these concerns have come to fruition.

I know there are some schemes that have seen more success than others but the biggest mistakes have now been made and are there for others who follow to learn from.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey-gear View Post
    Why do y5 and y6 need iPads?

This. I have seen iPads used to *great* effect in primary schools and certainly at KS2, and with the likes of Scratch Junior coming to tablet devices soon, even more so. However they easily work best when the tablets are owned and kept by the schools. I don't even agree with 1:1 devices at secondary level for similar reasons. I'm not going all Daily Mail with that opinion but it's just too much, I believe.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    This. I have seen iPads used to *great* effect in primary schools and certainly at KS2, and with the likes of Scratch Junior coming to tablet devices soon, even more so. However they easily work best when the tablets are owned and kept by the schools. I don't even agree with 1:1 devices at secondary level for similar reasons. I'm not going all Daily Mail with that opinion but it's just too much, I believe.
    Interestingly a real advocate of 1 to 1 devices where I work has changed his tune completely after visiting a couple of schools where they already have them. Apparently it has become known as Bring Your Own Distraction and they have seen no real benefits at all. Now I'm sure there are some schools that do it really well but it's a lot of money and time to invest if the concept hasn't been proved.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by truebluesteve View Post
    Bring Your Own Distraction.
    Will have to use that phrase. Seems apt.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by truebluesteve View Post
    Interestingly a real advocate of 1 to 1 devices where I work has changed his tune completely after visiting a couple of schools where they already have them. Apparently it has become known as Bring Your Own Distraction and they have seen no real benefits at all. Now I'm sure there are some schools that do it really well but it's a lot of money and time to invest if the concept hasn't been proved.
    Not that I'm an advocate for 1:1 tablets (I don't care either way tbh, I get paid the same whether they do or not) but that sounds like they were given to students without any real thought or planning on how to use and take advantage of them. Technology is only as good as the bearer, not a magic bullet and if it gets treated as the latter things have a habit of going pear shaped.

10. Thanks to Norphy from:

Marshall_IT (26th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Not that I'm an advocate for 1:1 tablets (I don't care either way tbh, I get paid the same whether they do or not) but that sounds like they were given to students without any real thought or planning on how to use and take advantage of them. Technology is only as good as the bearer, not a magic bullet and if it gets treated as the latter things have a habit of going pear shaped.
    Agree totally!

Thank Post
    iPads... The answer to everything...

Thank Post
    I'm just looking forward to 3-4 years time when the iPads go the way of the interactive whiteboard in schools and we can forget about this whole fad.

May be wishful thinking, but one can hope.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    I'm just looking forward to 3-4 years time when the iPads go the way of the interactive whiteboard in schools and we can forget about this whole fad.

You mean used very well by some to enhance teaching & learning?

It's not about the technology, it's about the teachers and the vision and direction of the school in general.

15. Thanks to Marshall_IT from:

Norphy (26th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post

IWB's are used well in our place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    IWB's are used well in our place.
    Oh I'm not saying that they aren't or can't be used well, but my point is that in the early 00's they were a must have item, lots of money was spent on getting them in classrooms as the new age teaching tool. Nowadays though a lot of teachers feel they're unnecessary and will quite happily teach without one, some will use them if they're there but aren't all that fussed. I've yet to meet a teacher in the past 5 years or so that has said "i really need an interactive whiteboard".

They used to be a fad item that everyone wanted because they were the new shiny teaching tools, iPads are that new fad, and i look forward to that fad dropping off so tablets in general can be implemented by IT departments based on what works best NOT bought by senior management teams because they want to impress parents.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast