+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
IT News Thread, Google Glass now available to purchase in the UK in Other News; It's the Explorer Edition, so still quite expensive. Are any EduGeeks planning on getting one? Source : Google Play Store ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts

Google Glass now available to purchase in the UK

It's the Explorer Edition, so still quite expensive. Are any EduGeeks planning on getting one?

Source: Google Play Store (via Android Police)

Last edited by Arthur; 23rd June 2014 at 07:51 PM.

Thank Post
    OMG SOOOOO TEMPTED RIGHT NOW WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME!

Thank Post
    Have discussed with management (briefly). Strangely, it is a no at this time!

4. 2 Thanks to ShorehamGeek:

stevenlong1985 (24th June 2014), Zoom7000 (24th June 2014)

Thank Post
    *sigh* Here we go... cue town centres being filled with hipsters quoting "hashtagNerd" on their instagram photos because they have some glasses that have a bit of technology in them making them feel like their IQ has gone from 5 to 500, like those girls who paint whiskers on their face and wear big glasses claiming "OMG IM SUCH A GEEK ^_^ TEEHEHEHHEHE XDDD"

Bah, humbug. (Sorry, I just must be the only one here that looks at Google Glass and thinks "Why?")

6. 2 Thanks to Fleetwood:

gtg93 (24th June 2014), Novalee (24th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I think they are big step forward in technology, perhaps a stepping stone to something better though. But that has made me laugh @Fleetwood because that is what will happen!

8. Thanks to Novalee from:

Fleetwood (24th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I'm with Stephen Colbert on this one - rename to the Google Douchebag.

10. 2 Thanks to Gibson335:

Fleetwood (24th June 2014), sparkeh (24th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I just must be the only one here that looks at Google Glass and thinks "Why?"

Nope, I'm with you on this one... Although a couple of things in the video made me think, "that'd be quite good", I couldn't justify £100 let alone £1000, and I think overall they're just a gimmick

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    *sigh* Here we go... cue town centres being filled with hipsters quoting "hashtagNerd" on their instagram photos
    Surely a Hipster would be totting a 1970's Polaroid, not instagram, they'd probably whip out a tartan covered notebook, pull out an HB Steadler pencil, make a few notes then stick it in a chintz envelope and post it.

Personally I see 'glass' as leading the way to usable wearable computing and augmented reality applications will be huge ... but in 5-10 years.

Thank Post
    To be honest I have no idea what a hipster is... there's so many bloody 'groups' these days it's hard to keep track of who does what!

Don't get me wrong I like the idea, but I just can't see where this is worth £1,000 of your hard-earned money. Like what @Novalee says, I reckon it's a good 'starter' to something even greater that will come in the future but Google Glass - at least in its current form - isn't it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can see the point for a limited range of things. The guy on the bike using Sat Nav, that seemed like a good idea.

I think it would really annoy me to have a conversation with someone wearing a pair of those, wondering if they are paying attention or looking at something else.

Thank Post
    Well it won't catch on definitely not at that price tag! It may do when it reaches a 300 pound price mark but until then they will be very rare. The thing that gets me is if I want to take a video, photo, make a list etc... all those features are in my phone, of which is in my pocket, everywhere, all of the time. Why would you spend an additional £1000 to have something that snit as feature packed on your phone the only difference with this device is it's on your face all of the time, but the 2 seconds lost in taking my phone out of my pocket isn't worth the price.

They need to improve a lot on it for example the battery life is supposed to be awful lasting just about a day, if your using it extensively don't expect it to last any longer than 6-8 hours, also the "speakers" shall we say that vibrate your head are apparently impossible to hear if you're in a busy area with lots of people around, they work when sitting at home in your bed with the Windows shut though.

They just really don't seem to be worth it for me, they need to release more apps, better features, better camera, better speakers, longer battery and more customisable frames etc... It's good at the moment but it's not quite carling.

Thank Post
    Maybe I'm just not 'geek' enough (EduLuddite, perphaps?) but this is the kind of thing that makes me want to go and live in a forest away from civilisation and it's wondrous technology. It's bad enough that it's become so easy for people to take your picture or video you on their phones without you knowing about it. If wearing cameras on your face becomes the norm, I'm outta here!

17. Thanks to StevieM from:

Fleetwood (24th June 2014)

Thank Post
    How are they controlled? Is it all voice commands? Because you'd look like a looney wearing weird glasses walking down the street talking to them!

I'm shocked there's no chinese Android rip-off yet.
    Last edited by gtg93; 24th June 2014 at 09:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    Maybe I'm just not 'geek' enough (EduLuddite, perphaps?) but this is the kind of thing that makes me want to go and live in a forest away from civilisation and it's wondrous technology. It's bad enough that it's become so easy for people to take your picture or video you on their phones without you knowing about it. If wearing cameras on your face becomes the norm, I'm outta here!
    The more cameras the better if you ask me, they serve a protection purpose and as long as you're not doing anything wrong in the first place then what's the problem, your caught on camera up to 300 times a day depending on where you live already so why does it bother people when more cameras are coming anyway, they protect us and help police etc... I have never understood the big issue with this whole "Big Brother" concept everyone is throwing around, do you care if someone has you on camera but you're not doing anything wrong?

The problem is if that someone tomorrow wrote-off your car while you where in the shops and then came back to it and those people in question had drove off you'd be asking for CCTV footage, you'd be gutted and upset if they didn't have any record of it or for example god forbid someone did something totally brutal and vile towards you or a member of your family on a night out in a street, bet you'd be happy there was cameras then to catch the person who did it!

My point being is everyone is so quick to say this kind of stuff but camera's actually serve a huge purpose in protecting us from our day to day lives, think of how many more crimes would go unsolved if cameras where never invented! Just my honest opinion.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,643 Posts
    I just can't see the attraction. Even a varifocal pair to deal with my poor eyesight wouldn't lead me to buying these!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast