+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
IT News Thread, Microsoft announces the Surface Pro 3 in Other News; @ Norphy I think everything you're stating is pretty much a problem with most tablet type devices. The iPad for ...

Thank Post
    @Norphy I think everything you're stating is pretty much a problem with most tablet type devices. The iPad for example has this issue but even more so because they don't give you a choice of any kickstand unless you buy one additionally, it's nicer to have it built into the device imo.

To be fair my Surface Pro 1 never had any problems when it was on my lap, I never thought it was uncomfortable but granted it wasn't as comfortable as a laptop, though this might have had something to do with the fact the kickstand only had one way it could stand up the device, the surface pro 3 has apparently sorted that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    @Norphy I think everything you're stating is pretty much a problem with most tablet type devices. The iPad for example has this issue but even more so because they don't give you a choice of any kickstand unless you buy one additionally, it's nicer to have it built into the device imo.
    Granted but Microsoft are marketing it as a tablet that can replace your laptop. In terms of hardware, they're right but I'm not convinced about the form factor for the reasons I specified. It seems to me that they're trying to reinvent a form factor which has worked perfectly well for the last 20 years but not doing an especially good job of it.

Apple and the other tablet vendors don't market their tablets as such, they market them as handhelds and that's it. Google and Apple don't manufacture keyboard docks for their tablets last I checked.

To be fair my Surface Pro 1 never had any problems when it was on my lap, I never thought it was uncomfortable but granted it wasn't as comfortable as a laptop, though this might have had something to do with the fact the kickstand only had one way it could stand up the device, the surface pro 3 has apparently sorted that.
    It's not just a question of comfort though. I have a Windows Dell tablet (A Venue Pro 11) with a keyboard dock sitting on my desk. When it's docked, it's just like a normal laptop. The keyboard dock is about eight inches long at a rough guess. It will only use eight inches of the length of my legs. I can put the thing close to my knees or higher up my thighs depending on how I'm feeling that day. I can adjust the angle of the screen without it taking up more space. Plus someone with shorter legs than me can use the thing without too much issue. With the Surface Pro 3, the amount of space taken up is the length of the keyboard plus the amount of space between the bottom of the kickstand and the bottom edge of the screen. If you want have the thing completely reclined, you'd better be a six footer otherwise it ain't gonna fit on your legs! In addition, I don't know if the new type cover has been made to feel more sturdy but the touch cover for the original surface is quite flimsy and doesn't feel very nice to type on when you're not using it on a desk.

Anyway, this is why I don't especially want one. Which is a shame because it otherwise seems like a fabulous device.

Thank Post
    I see where you're coming from and to be quite frank these small issues are why I wouldn't buy one. Well not for that price anyway.
    When you're spending £600+ on a product you expect it to be top notch and the design to be perfect, now don't get me wrong I'm not insinuating that they haven't used quality material and components because they have, in fact it was the nicest tablet I have ever held but little design flaws like what you have pointed out are what stops me buying this rather than a laptop.

It's nice they have improved it vastly with the better kickstand, nicer screen (obviously to compete with the new MBP Range Retina Displays), more choice on processor specs and all that jazz but the few things I looks for when buying a laptop which the surface doesn't have are:
    - Design to be different but flawless, I like a laptop to make a slight statement (sad I know but that's how I like em')
    - Upgradability, I must be able to in a year or so easily be able to replace HDD/SSD, RAM Size etc....
    - It must be very light, I like minimal look that looks classy, thin and very light for better portability, I think the Surface is a bit too heavy for me and the back gets hot
    - Durability, it must be able to withstand a few knocks and dents and be ok, the screen looks like the Surfaces weakest point here where as a laptop folds down and has it's screen protected when in a bag this certainly does not
    - Last of all Brand, it has to be a well known brand that I trust and have dealt with before, this is Microsoft's first attempt at designing hardware now luckily I took the plunge for the Surface 1 and I must say the Support from Microsoft I found was actually better then Apple infamous support. But it's a lot of money to ask for a product when you have never approached a hardware market before, let's put it this way if the OnePlus One phone was the same price as lets say the Galaxy S5 nobody would be bothered about it and I think this is Microsofts biggest flaw because people don't want to take the risk with what is a new hardware company especially when there previous Xbox 360 Hardware had countless amounts of faults with the red ring of fire problem.

But that's just my opinion

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm just gonna leave this here....

http://cubiclebot.com/comics/from-a-...-tabtop-comic/

5. Thanks to Tesla from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (2nd October 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,898 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Upgradability, I must be able to in a year or so easily be able to replace HDD/SSD, RAM Size etc....
    No one buys tablets with the intention of upgrading them later.

Also, don't you have a retina MacBook Pro that has a non-upgradable SSD and RAM?

It must be very light ... I think the Surface is a bit too heavy for me
    The SP3 is lighter than the 11" MacBook Air which people generally consider very light (800g vs 1.08 kg).

the screen looks like the Surfaces weakest point here where as a laptop folds down and has its screen protected when in a bag this certainly does not
    The type cover protects the screen (just like covers and cases do on other tablets). You can also buy sleeves that fit the device.

this is Microsoft's first attempt at designing
    Microsoft have been designing and making hardware for 30 years.

www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/30-years-of-hardware

it's a lot of money to ask for a product when you have never approached a hardware market before
    There have already been three major revisions of the Surface Pro over the course of the last two years. Most of the problems have already been worked out.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (2nd October 2014)

Thank Post
    @Arthur - spot on. I just don't see anything that can match the SP2/3 in terms of performance (i5/7, 4-8GB RAM), flexibility (ultrabook/tablet, good battery life) and portability (it's heavy for a *tablet* but it's small rucksack/bag fodder compared to most laptops) and that's why it can command the price. But as always, you pays your money, you takes your choice.

Thank Post
    @Arthur yes probably an Atom on the Miix 3 but I guess this is where my interpretation of a Windows tablet and Microsoft's don't match up.

I use a first gen RT in work and in terms of size and portability it's great, however the lack of any desktop programs restricts it to OneNote and Outlook really. The Pro and Pro2 were too heavy so no good, at original RRP like the Surface 3 way too expensive as well.

For anything more important I go to a ThinkPad T430s where the keyboard, screen size and expandability are more important and the Surface 3 still wouldn't replace that so personally I see it as a bit of an expensive luxury rather than a killer product, the search for the perfect companion device goes on...

Thank Post
    Schools in the US, Canada and UK to get discount on the Surface Pro 3

The table above shows the approximate savings that schools and colleges will make if they purchase the Surface Pro 3. While there are more than those three models available, it is highly unlikely that a school would splash out on the more expensive i7 models.

The only problem here is that the units must be purchased through Microsoft’s Authorized Device Resellers (see here for Canada and here for the UK) and in minimum quantities of five units. We assume you could get three of the i3 and 3 of the i5 and still qualify for discount, but it’s not clear.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've had a couple of Microsoft surfaces cross my desk as BYOD devices recently and can't believe how terrible they are.

No wonder they are fire sailing them again for education..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I've had a couple of Microsoft surfaces cross my desk
    Which ones? Surface RT, Surface 2 or Surface Pro 1, 2 or 3?

What don't you like about them?
    Last edited by Arthur; 2nd October 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I've had a couple of Microsoft surfaces cross my desk as BYOD devices recently and can't believe how terrible they are.

No wonder they are fire sailing them again for education..
    Its not really a fire sale is it? A small discount. Apple sell at a discount to education too, is that a fire sale too?

We have 30 of the Surface RT units here and I think they're very well made! The Pro versions are even nicer IMO. So I'm quite surprised that you find them terrible.

Thank Post
    When you check the exchange rate, it isn't half annoying at how much the UK is charged for the same product.

For example; i5, 256GB in USA is $1289 for schools which would be £798+/- in GBP, yet the edu price for the UK model is £1097...

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Which ones? Surface RT, Surface 2 or Surface Pro 1, 2 or 3?

What don't you like about them?
    Not sure which one I saw today(I've skipped the hardware and windows 8 here), but it was incredibly heavy, had terrible touchpad buttons, fingerprints all over the screen and a useless operating system version (windows 8.0). I couldn't even find the reboot button on it for about 5mins.

I'm guessing it was one of the early versions.

Sitting next to another students macbook air it looked quite ridiculous (to me anyway). The PGCE who brought it in had no end of complaints how it worked. She said it was so heavy she didn't even bring the keyboard around with her in day to day use.
    Last edited by zag; 2nd October 2014 at 03:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    When you check the exchange rate, it isn't half annoying at how much the UK is charged for the same product.

For example; i5, 256GB in USA is $1289 for schools which would be £798+/- in GBP, yet the edu price for the UK model is £1097...
    Apple do the same though with their products. When my uncle went to America he bought all sorts of tech because he said it was so cheap compared to over here *sigh*

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends. Often US prices are shown without local sales tax added on which adds to the price considerably. You will also be surprised to learn that the UK has one of the most competitive electronics markets in the world. We go out there each year and often find nothing that we can't find either at the same price or cheaper here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast