+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
IT News Thread, Microsoft announces the Surface Pro 3 in Other News; So did anyone get one? I have... I shouldn't have played with them at ISTE......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So did anyone get one? I have... I shouldn't have played with them at ISTE...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    So did anyone get one? I have... I shouldn't have played with them at ISTE...
    I had a Surface Pro 1, they're good but not good enough to justify the price imho and I can't see why the Surface Pro 3 will be any different the laptop you could buy for £600+ is far superior in specs to the Surface Pro 3 I'd have the laptop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,934 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I had a Surface Pro 1, they're good but not good enough to justify the price imho and I can't see why the Surface Pro 3 will be any different the laptop you could buy for £600+ is far superior in specs to the Surface Pro 3 I'd have the laptop.
    Find me a laptop that matches the spec of the Surface Pro 3 - including high resolution touchscreen and SSD, for the same price or less...
    Last edited by localzuk; 3rd September 2014 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    as above ive got a pro 1 and its ok but in hindsight something like an xps11 would of probably been a better choice. The 3 has daft specs in not allowing a 128gb sdd with the i3 if that was an option i might consider it but the cost of any of them with 128gb is silly as you need to move up to an i5 and add over £200 to the cost of it just to get a decent amount of storage. Im sure the cost of the ssd is minimal so imo ms missed a trick there as with a full windows install 64gb just isnt enough ive all but filled the 128 on my surface pro and that without really trying and no films or other huge files just syncing my docs/pics etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Find me a laptop that matches the spec of the Surface Pro 3 - including touchscreen and SSD, for the same price or less...
    i give you a dell xps 11 XPS 11 2-in-1 Touch Screen Ultrabook™ Details | Dell UK

Thank Post
    Find me a laptop that matches the spec of the Surface Pro 3 - including high resolution touchscreen and SSD, for the same price or less...
    Cant be bothered to find an exact match but here you go something like this. Asus N550LF Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer No sad but it's fairly inexpensive to buy 128GB SSD.

+1 on @sted comment.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nobody wants a touchscreen on a laptop. Its just totally pointless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Nobody wants a touchscreen on a laptop. Its just totally pointless.
    actually after using someone at works i disagree ok i use the mouse most of the time but it is handy for certain things

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,934 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cool. They've obviously dropped in price since I last looked a few months back. Glad they've come down!

Also, yes, some people do want touchscreens on laptops. I have a friend who does illustrations, and a touchscreen makes their life a lot easier - especially with a stylus like on the Surface Pro series.

Thank Post
    I have an Surface Pro 2 in the 8/256GB spec. I love it. I do plug a mouse in when I'm at home working on the kitchen table, otherwise I find the touch screen much better than typical laptop touch pad - even the spacious ones on the Macbook Pro. I'm tempted by the larger screen on the SP3 but I won't be able to justify an upgrade for a few years. They are expensive but compared to what? There is very little out there to compete with it.

Thank Post
    SP3 still way too expensive imo, once you add the keyboard on even the cheapest model is £750. Go to an i5 and it's nearly £1k. I'm holding out for the Lenovo Miix 3 which looks promising...

Last edited by gshaw; 3rd September 2014 at 11:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What bugs me about the SP3 (and the Surface range in general if I'm honest) is the kickstand. It's great if you want to use it on a desk. If you want to use it on your lap though, as the name "Laptop" suggests, then I don't think it's so hot. It just takes up too much room and I can't see that thin metal edge sticking into your thigh or knee being all that comfortable.

I'm not saying that they should do away with the kickstand but a keyboard dock similar to the ones that Dell and Asus sell would be a welcome accessory.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    What bugs me about the SP3 (and the Surface range in general if I'm honest) is the kickstand. It's great if you want to use it on a desk. If you want to use it on your lap though, as the name "Laptop" suggests, then I don't think it's so hot.
    Couldn't you have the tablet laying flat on your legs? i.e. without the kickstand open.

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I'm holding out for the Lenovo Miix 3 which looks promising...
    If it's anything like the Miix 2, it will have an Atom processor which is nowhere near as fast as a Core i3/5/7 in the SP3.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Couldn't you have the tablet laying flat on your legs? i.e. without the kickstand open.
    Then that'd take up even more room and it wouldn't exactly be ergonomic as you'd have to be stooped over it to be able to see the screen.

I'm talking about using the thing with the keyboard cover, apologies if that wasn't clear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I'm talking about using the thing with the keyboard cover, apologies if that wasn't clear.
    It's not great for that but then I don't find laptops very good in that situation either. With the SP2 I discard the keyboard and use the on-screen keyboard if I need one (so basically using it as a tablet) . Not that I find myself trying to use on my lap very often.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast