+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
IT News Thread, Microsoft announces the Surface Pro 3 in Other News; Too much. I really want one actually but the cost is too high. Many people aren't comfortable with replacing laptops ...

Thank Post
    Too much. I really want one actually but the cost is too high. Many people aren't comfortable with replacing laptops with tablets yet. I imagine this will do the job nicely, but few people are going to pay that amount of money to find out. Once people are convinced that this is the way to go, then Microsoft could raise the price if they must. But people won't have the opportunity to find out that the idea is a good, well executed idea, because they won't want to spend that kind of money.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft reportedly axed a smaller Surface

We'd surmise that a few folks were disappointed then Microsoft's Surface event concluded earlier today. Rumors swirled that the "small gathering" tease meant a more compact version of Redmond's tablet was imminent, but instead the festivities focused on a larger 12-inch pro model. Now, Bloomberg reports that a more compact model was on tap before being nixed ahead of its official debut. The report states that CEO Satya Nadella and EVP Stephen Elop concluded that the device didn't offer enough pizazz to differentiate it from the options that are currently on the market -- smaller Windows-powered slates from the likes of Dell and others. MS engineers had reportedly been working on the so-called Surface mini alongside Qualcomm for the better part of a year before the plug was pulled ahead of final approval.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Umm, seriously? What's wrong with the software developer building a template device? Are we forgetting about the Google Nexus range? It's no different then a new hardware manufacturer appearing, just means you need to release a better (in some way) device.
    Your comparison of the The Nexus line of Android devices misses the mark because none of them were manufactured by Google. In fact, Motorola Mobility was sold by Google to Lenovo because if Google started directly manufacturing Android mobile phones on a large scale - it would drive the other manufacturers to move to another mobile OS. The Surface is not a "template" device. Google is trying to become the new Microsoft, and doing a pretty good job. Microsoft is trying to become the new Apple, and struggling.

I've worked in the electronics contract manufacturing business in years past, and dealt with many of the big PC companies, component makers, etc. They won't be liking Microsoft's encroach into their already shrinking piece of the pie. Game consoles and accessories are one thing, but Microsoft is rolling the dice with their growing line of Surface products. Only time will tell how that goes, but there is danger there. That's what I'm saying...seriously.

As for "iPad killer" quotes, what, have you never seen a sales pitch? Apparently if I buy this sports car I'll be beating women off with a stick because it'll turn me into fit underwear super model, got it take it all with a pitch of salt.
    I have a 64GB Surface sitting on my desk. I've had it for 7 months. I've been trying to sell it for the past three months. It is a far cry from being as useful as an iPad for most people. The Surface 3 is too big to function as a good tablet (try reading an eBook for a good while with one and let me know how that goes) and it won't sit on the lap as well as a normal laptop and the keyboard isn't as good either. It's still very much a compromise device. Perhaps a better compromise, but still a definite compromise.

Go ahead and buy one, use it for a few months and let us all know how it stacks up. In the meantime, if anyone wants to buy a lightly used Surface let me know...

4. Thanks to seawolf from:

zag (21st May 2014)

Thank Post
    Gen 1 products are always going to be... problematic. Out of interest, what's the cost of p&p to the UK?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Your comparison of the The Nexus line of Android devices misses the mark because none of them were manufactured by Google. In fact, Motorola Mobility was sold by Google to Lenovo because if Google started directly manufacturing Android mobile phones on a large scale - it would drive the other manufacturers to move to another mobile OS. The Surface is not a "template" device. Google is trying to become the new Microsoft, and doing a pretty good job. Microsoft is trying to become the new Apple, and struggling.

I've worked in the electronics contract manufacturing business in years past, and dealt with many of the big PC companies, component makers, etc. They won't be liking Microsoft's encroach into their already shrinking piece of the pie. Game consoles and accessories are one thing, but Microsoft is rolling the dice with their growing line of Surface products. Only time will tell how that goes, but there is danger there. That's what I'm saying...seriously.
    Thing is, if those devices made by Microsoft are high quality with good support, will customers care? What does it matter to a customer if they want a Windows PC of some form, whether it is made by Microsoft or Acer etc...?

Its a risky bet to be making, but Microsoft could be thinking long term "who cares about other manufacturers making our stuff?", fully mimicking Apple.

I have a 64GB Surface sitting on my desk. I've had it for 7 months. I've been trying to sell it for the past three months. It is a far cry from being as useful as an iPad for most people. The Surface 3 is too big to function as a good tablet (try reading an eBook for a good while with one and let me know how that goes) and it won't sit on the lap as well as a normal laptop and the keyboard isn't as good either. It's still very much a compromise device. Perhaps a better compromise, but still a definite compromise.
    How do you know that about the Surface Pro 3? It hasn't been released yet!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Thing is, if those devices made by Microsoft are high quality with good support, will customers care? What does it matter to a customer if they want a Windows PC of some form, whether it is made by Microsoft or Acer etc...?

Its a risky bet to be making, but Microsoft could be thinking long term "who cares about other manufacturers making our stuff?", fully mimicking Apple.
    Why it matters to Microsoft is that a big portion of their revenue comes from OEM licensing of Microsoft software to PC manufacturers. They've had huge growth in their cloud services business, but if their long-time cash cow of Windows OEM licensing plummets because of a poorly orchestrated takeover of the PC hardware manufacturing industry - they will suffer. Shareholders don't like surprises and big surprises could send MS into leadership turmoil, particularly with a relatively young and unproven CEO at the helm.

How do you know that about the Surface Pro 3? It hasn't been released yet!
    Because even the iPad 1 was a chore trying to read eBooks on it for an extended period of time and the much larger screen of the S3 would make it even more cumbersome in that regard. The S3 is a big tablet and no tablet of that size yet has proven to be popular or useful in everyday use. As for not sitting on the lap as well as a normal laptop - have you tried it much with a Surface or Surface 2? It's not nearly as easy to use like that and is best used on a desk or table top with the kickstand. Unless there has been a 500% improvement in the keyboard and trackpad, then I seriously doubt it is going to be as good as the keyboard and trackpad on a MBA or good Ultrabook.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Surface 3 is too big to function as a good tablet (try reading an eBook for a good while with one and let me know how that goes) and it won't sit on the lap as well as a normal laptop and the keyboard isn't as good either. It's still very much a compromise device. Perhaps a better compromise, but still a definite compromise.
    Yep, I read this earlier as well on the Reg

Both of these are important steps, to be sure. But they both miss the crucial flaw in the Surface design – its lack of a firm hinge. To use the Surface and keyboard on the move, the kickstand has to be deployed, and that increases the overall horizontal length needed to use the device.

Panay demonstrated this weakness inadvertently during his demo. He's of average build and put the Pro 3 on his knees; it fitted, but with the side effect of sticking the trackpad into his stomach – typing was possible but hardly comfortable. Nevertheless, he said he was confident the design worked.
    Microsoft Surface 3 Pro: Flip me over and fondle me up

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, as much as we call notebooks laptops, most manufacturers now tell you not to use them in your lap... Brought about after various cases of burnt legs and testicles... (That was a tongue in cheek answer btw).

Why it matters to Microsoft is that a big portion of their revenue comes from OEM licensing of Microsoft software to PC manufacturers. They've had huge growth in their cloud services business, but if their long-time cash cow of Windows OEM licensing plummets because of a poorly orchestrated takeover of the PC hardware manufacturing industry - they will suffer. Shareholders don't like surprises and big surprises could send MS into leadership turmoil, particularly with a relatively young and unproven CEO at the helm.
    Microsoft might be thinking "why are we giving away all that profit to OEMs when we could be making the machines ourselves and keeping the profit in-house!"... As I said, its a risky game, but it could be very profitable for them if it pays off.
    Last edited by localzuk; 21st May 2014 at 04:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I think the biggest flaw in the Surface 3 - is that it isn't a laptop. If they'd thrown away the hinge and keyboard cover in favour of a transformer-type tablet-laptop hybrid I reckon they would have a much bigger market.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's nice, the hardware is an improvement and it's not much bigger. I have to agree with the Register though about the kickstand being the devices biggest flaw though. It's great if you want to use the device on a desk but I can't see why they couldn't introduce a keyboard with a proper hinge as well. Dell do one, Asus do one, loads of other manufacturers do them do. Making one of those wouldn't mean they'd have to get rid of the kickstand but it would make using the device on your lap a lot, lot nicer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft might be thinking "why are we giving away all that profit to OEMs when we could be making the machines ourselves and keeping the profit in-house!"... As I said, its a risky game, but it could be very profitable for them if it pays off.
    Yes, but it's the type of gamble that a company in distress would normally take. Like what Apple did it when they had nothing to lose and Jobs killed all of the clones and cut a deal with Microsoft. I still think it was a strange, strange decision. Balmer's last stand I think.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but it's the type of gamble that a company in distress would normally take. Like what Apple did it when they had nothing to lose and Jobs killed all of the clones and cut a deal with Microsoft. I still think it was a strange, strange decision. Balmer's last stand I think.
    It worked well though... So Microsoft seem to be copying them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Gen 1 products are always going to be... problematic. Out of interest, what's the cost of p&p to the UK?
    Probably around $50-60 AUD I'd say. Not sure what the import duties would be though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It worked well though... So Microsoft seem to be copying them.
    Yes, but it worked well because Apple was always a hardware company first and software company second, and they have long been vertically integrated in respect to end-to-end product design, (contract) manufacture, marketing, retail, and support of the whole product.

Microsoft is certainly trying to turn the Titanic, but I wonder if they are actually steering the ship into an iceberg rather than away from it...

Anyway, I'll stop raining on this parade. The S3 might sell like hotcakes in a cold Canadian winter who knows. It will be interesting to hear some hands on reviews and to try one out myself.
    Last edited by seawolf; 21st May 2014 at 04:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Paul Thurrott seems impressed.

Surface Pro 3 Preview

This device answers most of my criticisms of the existing Pro devices while seemingly achieving that goal of being both a good tablet and a good laptop. That's no small achievement.
    Most of the people I was hanging around with at the event don't have big enough laps (or long enough upper legs, I guess) to use it on a lap, but if you do, it works much, much better than with previous Surfaces.
    Yes, the device is on the big side for a tablet. But the thinness and lightness of Surface Pro 3 combine to make this less problematic than you may currently believe.

[...]

Within the confines of a device that can be used as both a tablet and a laptop, the Surface Pro 3 screen is arguably ideal. I may personally prefer a bigger 13-inch (or even bigger) screen, but I think Microsoft struck the right balance with this one. And the 3:2 aspect ratio is an absolute surprise and a delight, something I never expected to see. (Source)
    On the Amtrak train ride home from New York, the Ultrabook screen next to me was shaking regularly with the shaking of the train, but the Surface Pro 3 was rock-solid. (Source)
    I don't believe the bigger, new trackpad on Surface Pro 3 is actual glass, but it is just as good. This is arguably the second-biggest improvement on this accessory (after that magnetic stability strip), offering much more responsive and accurate performance. It is, in short, actually usable. Which is important because the Pro 3's single USB port limits the possibility of using an external mouse if you need that port for something else. (Source)
    According to AnandTech, the Surface Pro 3 is also one of the first devices to support Connected Standby in 64-bit versions of Windows.

Windows 8.1 x64 Connected Standby Support

Today, we can confirm that Connected Standby is now available in 64 bit installs of Windows 8.1. Anand has confirmed that it is working in the new Surface Pro 3, and Intel has also confirmed to us that the drivers and firmware are complete to allow Connected Standby on Bay Trail-T processors. There has been some questions about the lack of support with some tablets such as the Lenovo ThinkPad 10 now offering a 64 bit install option, but assuming Lenovo has added all of the required pieces for Connected Standby, it should be available. The final result is still dependent on the OEM to choose the correct pieces, and ensure all necessary flags are set. Intel has confirmed that the HP ElitePad 1000 G2 is running Bay Trail-T x64 and has Connected Standby enabled.

With these developments, Intel based tablets can now offer the instant-on capabilities of smartphones, even with the 64 bit OS. AMD currently has no plans to support Connected Standby.
    Last edited by Arthur; 22nd May 2014 at 02:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast