+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Google debuts Classroom, an education platform for teacher-student communication in Other News; To sign up for the invite-only beta, click here . Source : Google (via TechCrunch ) Originally Posted by Google ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts

Google debuts Classroom, an education platform for teacher-student communication

To sign up for the invite-only beta, click here.

Source: Google (via TechCrunch)

Quote Originally Posted by Google
    Today, in honor of Teacher Appreciation Day, we’re announcing a preview of Classroom, a new, free tool in the Google Apps for Education suite. It helps teachers create and organize assignments quickly, provide feedback efficiently, and communicate with their classes with ease. Classroom is based on the principle that educational tools should be simple and easy to use, and is designed to give teachers more time to teach and students more time to learn.

With Classroom, you'll be able to:

• Create and collect assignments: Classroom weaves together Google Docs, Drive and Gmail to help teachers create and collect assignments paperlessly. They can quickly see who has or hasn't completed the work, and provide direct, real-time feedback to individual students.
    • Improve class communications: Teachers can make announcements, ask questions and comment with students in real time—improving communication inside and outside of class.
    • Stay organized: Classroom automatically creates Drive folders for each assignment and for each student. Students can easily see what’s due on their Assignments page.

We know that protecting your students’ privacy is critical. Like the rest of our Apps for Education services, Classroom contains no ads, never uses your content or student data for advertising purposes, and is free for schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechCrunch
    Google is tackling the persistent need in education for better software with Classroom, a new tool launching in beta preview to help teachers make, collect and track student assignments, and to help them better communicate with their classes.

The Classroom app is part of Google’s Apps for Education lineup of products, and it uses Docs, Drive and Gmail to make assignment creation and tracking easier than when you’d do those things manually. Basically, Google has taken a process that many were already using and streamlined it to make it more useful. Google has a huge advantage over other startups trying to do the same as a result; there’s an immense built-in existing population of users to get onboard.

It also incorporates class communication tools, letting teachers make announcements, ask questions and field student responses in real-time. Plus the whole thing’s free for schools, and Google also won’t even use the data that moves through the platform or display ads in Classroom, either, in accordance with its new policy announced last week.

So far, Google is keeping Classroom invite-only, with educators invited to apply to the preview program for access. They’ll open the gates to that first group of pilot testers in around a month’s time, and Google expects to release it widely by September – in time for the next school year.
    Last edited by Arthur; 6th May 2014 at 11:10 PM.

2. 4 Thanks to Arthur:

bondbill2k2 (8th May 2014), caffrey (7th May 2014), JSchlackman (7th May 2014), jumpinjamez (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    This has the potential to be brilliant - or rubbish. As a google school, I hope it is the former.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    This has the potential to be brilliant - or rubbish. As a google school, I hope it is the former.
    but you should expect it to be the latter

Thank Post
    It will be really good but hardly anyone will use it and after 18 months or so it will be pulled much to the annoyance of the hardcore group who use it a lot and find it really useful

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    This has the potential to be brilliant - or rubbish.
    I agree. There's a very high chance Classroom could join the recently deceased Reader in the Google Graveyard if it isn't widely adopted.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I want it!

Thank Post
    Agree it looks very good and very useful. The only thing that would concern me is what @Bananas said that if you were to use it and it went well but then was pulled because of the overall usage not being high enough for google to keep it running. Could be very promising though.

Thank Post
    New video from Google.

11. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

IrritableTech (13th June 2014), TheScarfedOne (24th July 2014), VeryPC_Tom_B (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    That would be idea would be good for clubs etc,

Easy way of sending out letters and getting replies.

Thank Post
    I've only seen the video's, but it looks too simplistic for our needs. Just going to stick with Moodle / Turnitin
    Looks like it would be perfect for Primary

Thank Post
    Got my invite, I'll have a look later

Thank Post
    I've had a play. I think when combined with Drive it will give us everything we need. A lot depends on the MIS sync tool.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    So it's a rubbish (in the sense that it's lacking in features) VLE then?

Thank Post
    I think it depends which features of your vle you currently use. When I surveyed staff they use it almost exclusively for sharing files externally, with literally 2 or 3 using hand in functionality. Nobody uses forums or anything else. For us, then, Drive and Classroom provide a free and simple way to do those things, with one less login to remember and one less licence to pay for (Fronter). It won't work for schools who make extensive use of all the features of their vle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast