+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
IT News Thread, Apple have been 'inventing' again... in Other News; 'Transparent' iPhones: A text and walk plan for those trying to do two things at once - News - Gadgets ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 816 Posts

Apple have been 'inventing' again...

'Transparent' iPhones: A text and walk plan for those trying to do two things at once - News - Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

How have they managed to patent this? There have been Android apps for this very purpose for years: https://play.google.com/store/search...+screen&c=apps

So, how many small indie devs do we think Apple will bully, intimidate and ultimately ruin when they get this patent pushed through? Is anyone else sick of Apple 'inventing' things then suing the rear end of anyone who has anything even remotely like their 'invention'? It's got to be crippling progress in the smartphone market as only the big guys like Samsung can afford to risk doing anything new for fear of Apple having some bloody patent tucked away for a court case.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you serious? Really, I'm asking if you are serious. Because you must be joking. To single out Apple as the big behemoth bully that steals from everyone else. The truth is - they all "steal" from one another. Some of it is rather innocuous and the end product looks quite a bit different from the original as the original idea was only used as a seed for innovation. Whereas other times it is a blatant copying to the letter (Samsung, you know who you are).

I submit my evidence to the court.

Apple vs Microsoft
    Top 10 features Microsoft stole from Mac OS X | Mac - InfoWorld
    Top 10 features that Apple stole from Windows | Windows - InfoWorld
    http://www.zangogroup.com/d/clips/IES_0588_news_2.pdf

IBM vs Microsoft
    Business & Technology | Microsoft pays IBM to settle suit | Seattle Times Newspaper

Apple vs Samsung
    Apple Wins Big Against Samsung In Court | TechCrunch
    Samsung says Apple stole some of its technology for the Apple iPhone

Apple Vs Google
    Apple wins appeal reinstating ITC case against Google's Motorola
    Yes, Google "Stole" From Apple, And That's A Good Thing - Forbes
    Did Google Just Prove That Android is

Google vs Blackberry
    Google Android Prototype In the Wild

Google vs Oracle
    Google's Android In Trouble As Judges Mull Oracle's Java API Copyright - Forbes

And the reality of it all is - to quote Isaac Newton "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - that all innovation in technology is "stealing" from what came before. Do not think that mankind in 2014 is somehow smarter or more innovative than mankind in 1941. We only have the technology we have today because we are "standing on the shoulders of giants" who came before us.

Much of what we know today only came about because of the work that originated at DARPA and PARC and has been built upon by others, including IBM, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Sun, and scores of other companies and inventors big and small.

Xerox PARC turns 40: Marking four decades of tech innovations - Computerworld
    10 brilliant DARPA inventions | Analysis | Features | PC Pro
    If Android is a “stolen product,” then so was the iPhone | Ars Technica
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8pQVDyaLo
    Last edited by seawolf; 31st March 2014 at 07:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Or it's just a setup for tomorrow? Lol

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts
    But seawolf as the op points out there are allready a ton of apps that can do this therefore plenty of prior art and the op was referring to small developers not the big companies ala samsung et al.

You're obviously heavily invested in the Apple eco system but that doesn't make the op's points any less valid nor does it make your response so but lets have a good clean fight.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hasten to point out, as much as I hate Apple and Apple fanboys (to clear one thing up, definition of fanboy at least in this context is an irrational fandom or love of a company regardless of their status, products etc) Apple have one thing going for them. They blatantly steal things and openly admit they don't give two hoots about it. Steve Jobs was one of the biggest pilferers, pirates and trolls on the planet, why on earth would or should Apple fall further from the tree! (see what I did there?)

The problem is the patent trollage and Apple are one of the worst culprits here, if not THE worst.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Are you serious?
    Yes. I don't believe I made any claim that Apple are the only company who steal ideas, why do you jump to that conclusion? "It's OK for me to do it because everyone else did" is no defense.

The thing is, as @synaesthesia says, Apple are patent trolling. They have applied for a patent on a technology that already exists and has done for some years and they are, yet again, claiming to have invented it; why do this unless the aim is to file law suits?

I think there needs to be a serious review in to how patents are filed, it's absolutely ridiculous that something so generic can be patented and it does nothing but hinder progress.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    why do you jump to that conclusion?
    Because you criticised Apple. Shame on you!
    Last edited by sparkeh; 31st March 2014 at 09:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Haha nice invention Apple, I have been using this on my android phone as an app for 2 years..... bit slow to the market aren't you Apple! It will really annoy me if they get the patent as I find the apps useful and ultimately Apple will challenge the people that have made the app if they get the patent!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Before we all get in a flap about evil Apple, can we confirm that Apple applied for the patent after the other apps appeared? Reason I ask is, that article says the patent was filed in 2012, and others have said such apps appeared in 2012 also. So I'd want to know which came first for sure before choosing a side.

Also, why so many transparent phone apps?! Are they the new fart apps?

Thank Post
    @localzuk, I'm not 100% sure when Apple started asking for the patent though I do know transparent apps have been on the android market for around 3-4 years now!
    I find the app I use useful because its a SMS app that uses your camera so as I'm typing and walking I can see where I'm going Bit sad I know but everyone seems to think it's cool and it has come in handy stopping me from treading in dog poo the once!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Before we all get in a flap about evil Apple, can we confirm that Apple applied for the patent after the other apps appeared? Reason I ask is, that article says the patent was filed in 2012, and others have said such apps appeared in 2012 also. So I'd want to know which came first for sure before choosing a side.

Well piling on with app availability and timing this was available on my HTC Windows phone around WP7.5 I think even WP7.0-7.1 which was well before 2012.

This http://www.windowsphone.com/en-nz/st...5-26b0f12d4b39 had an update in febuary 2012 and that was 1.1
    Last edited by SYNACK; 31st March 2014 at 09:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whilst @seawolf makes a valid point that it isn't just apple that do this carp, they are the ones most likely to get away with it because they spend millions on lawyers to bully the little person into giving up and making it unjustifiably difficult and expensive for the "indie" or "low key" developer to continue. No company is clean in this department, what I would like to see though, is Apple buying the patent from the developer rather than trying to force through as their own, that way the original creator gets something out of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    what I would like to see though, is Apple buying the patent from the developer rather than trying to force through as their own, that way the original creator gets something out of it.
    Another problem this raises though (and this is a problem with the patent system itself) is that I bet a lot of people wouldn't even think to patent this - If I had come up with this idea, I'd never have believed it to be patent-able as it's no more an 'invention' than any other piece of high level software...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post

According to the article, Apple filed patent in September 2012. The second app I clicked on in Play store (so semi-random choice) was published in February 2012: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...entscreen.free

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I hasten to point out, as much as I hate Apple and Apple fanboys (to clear one thing up, definition of fanboy at least in this context is an irrational fandom or love of a company regardless of their status, products etc) Apple have one thing going for them. They blatantly steal things and openly admit they don't give two hoots about it. Steve Jobs was one of the biggest pilferers, pirates and trolls on the planet, why on earth would or should Apple fall further from the tree! (see what I did there?)

The problem is the patent trollage and Apple are one of the worst culprits here, if not THE worst.
    I don't think you really understand the meaning of Patent Troll.

Patent Troll - a person or company who enforces patent rights against accused infringers in an attempt to collect licensing fees, but does not manufacture products or supply services based upon the patents in question, thus engaging in economic rent-seeking.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast