+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
IT News Thread, Microsoft unveils Office for iPad, free for reading and presenting in Other News; We at EduGeek have a 365 subscription and I installed them on my iPad mini last night. Quite impressed tbh. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We at EduGeek have a 365 subscription and I installed them on my iPad mini last night. Quite impressed tbh. Once conencted to my account each app then shows up all relevant files in our Sharepoint.
    Not much use for editing though I have to say. I tried zooming in an a large spreadhaeet I had been workign on and to do anything you lose focus on what is going on elsewhere on the sheet. Not bad if you are using it for free to review something though. Anyone lese would need a keyboard to get the best out of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    "...provided institutions meet the following criteria: 1. Institution has an EES agreement or an OVS-ES agreement 2. Licenses 100% of Faculty/Staff organization wide for Office"

There are no free lunches.
    Given that many, if not most, schools are already paying for Office for their staff via EES or OVS-ES the leap to Student Advantage is £0.

Student Advantage is not free. We don't say that it's free. It's "no additional cost", which in most cases is true. There'll always be some customers who'll need to make an initial investment into some licensing for staff in order to unlock the student £0 SKUs; however, given my calculations earlier in the thread I think that even if you had to pay for staff the overall savings that Student Advantage brings make it very affordable.

Thank Post
    We have OVS-ES agreement in place and qualified for student advantage and have it rolled out etc, but that's using the free A2 licence model on O365. If you want students to have access to office on iPad and edit the documents I believe you have to have the A3 or A4 licence model? Which works out more expensive for out site with over 1500 students and 250 odd staff - not really worth the punt. Agree with @Dos_Box that the free apps are worth while for reviewing and presentations from powerpoint esp on an apple TV but that's pretty much it.

Thank Post
    I think HUP offers better value if you have an open agreement. Editing word on an ipad seems...stupid.

also office on any touch screen is stupid.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    We have OVS-ES agreement in place and qualified for student advantage and have it rolled out etc, but that's using the free A2 licence model on O365. If you want students to have access to office on iPad and edit the documents I believe you have to have the A3 or A4 licence model?
    I think the Office 365 ProPlus for Students is a different licence than the A2 licence.

The information here from October 2013 Student Advantage and Office 365 ProPlus FAQ - Microsoft Education in the Cloud - Site Home - TechNet Blogs says that Student Advantage and Office 365 ProPlus subscription includes Office 2013 for PC, Office 2011 for Mac, Office Mobile for iPhone and Android. I guess that now includes Office for iPad...?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    also office on any touch screen is stupid.
    It was handy filling in my inventory on my Microsoft surface tablet in excel....

Thank Post
    You know I saw this thinking FINALLY!!! DOWNLOADDDDDDD

I cant stress the poor Google Apps great for basics but missing far too many functions to be used daily. BUT BUT there is always a but with Microsoft - after having to use the links above to find the App it turns out "Your device isn't compatible with this version" ... Great a brand new google nexus 7......

Will run on my iPad at the weekend when I have time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    We have OVS-ES agreement in place and qualified for student advantage and have it rolled out etc, but that's using the free A2 licence model on O365. If you want students to have access to office on iPad and edit the documents I believe you have to have the A3 or A4 licence model? Which works out more expensive for out site with over 1500 students and 250 odd staff - not really worth the punt. Agree with @Dos_Box that the free apps are worth while for reviewing and presentations from powerpoint esp on an apple TV but that's pretty much it.
    Nope.

The app is unlocked through Office 365 ProPlus, which is available through:

- Student Advantage
    - Office 365 ProPlus for Students
    - Office 365 ProPlus for Faculty
    - Office 365 Plan A3 for Students (and Faculty)
    - Office 365 Plan A4 for Students (and Faculty)

Or any of the other qualifying subscriptions outside of Office 365 Education.

So you can give this to your students through Student Advantage at no additional cost (as long as you cover 100% of your staff for Office somehow), and you can just add this as Office 365 ProPlus for Faculty for your staff. See my earlier posts in this thread for example calculations, and speak to your re-seller for a quote.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Nope.

The app is unlocked through Office 365 ProPlus, which is available through:

- Student Advantage
    - Office 365 ProPlus for Students
    - Office 365 ProPlus for Faculty
    - Office 365 Plan A3 for Students (and Faculty)
    - Office 365 Plan A4 for Students (and Faculty)

Or any of the other qualifying subscriptions outside of Office 365 Education.

So you can give this to your students through Student Advantage at no additional cost (as long as you cover 100% of your staff for Office somehow), and you can just add this as Office 365 ProPlus for Faculty for your staff. See my earlier posts in this thread for example calculations, and speak to your re-seller for a quote.
    Thanks for confirmation @jamesbmarshall do you have site that outlines student advantage qualifies? Can only see it listed online if you have A3 or A4 plan for students?

Thank Post
    I think Microsoft has just lost the USP of their Surface RT version; yes I know you need a 365 subscription to run Office on iPad, but in my current role working for a large computer/electronic retailer most people only purchase the MS Surface for the simple fact that it has office capability. It will not be long until the iOS versions of the office apps have full functionality (over the iteration of many releases I would imagine). This is a real win-win situation, a huge Apple fan myself I feel Microsoft is making real pace with Office and there additional software, yet they are loosing touch as Windows 8 does not know what it wants to be - a desktop or tablet OS.

TL;DR: Office is great, especially now it's on iOS. Windows 8 and MS Surface are not great.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Given that many, if not most, schools are already paying for Office for their staff via EES or OVS-ES the leap to Student Advantage is £0.

Student Advantage is not free. We don't say that it's free. It's "no additional cost", which in most cases is true. There'll always be some customers who'll need to make an initial investment into some licensing for staff in order to unlock the student £0 SKUs; however, given my calculations earlier in the thread I think that even if you had to pay for staff the overall savings that Student Advantage brings make it very affordable.
    That's great and all, but what about the schools that aren't using Office 365? For the schools running their own internal Exchange, Zimbra, Google Apps or something else this requirement isn't all that fantastic even if they have an EES.

If we wanted to use Office for the iPad for anything other than viewing/presenting (and really what's the point in that when apps like QuickOffice, Acronis Access, and iWork can already do this, plus edit the files) - we would need to:

1. Have an EES (we do)
    2. Request Student Advantage
    3. Setup Office 365 accounts for all users, on an ongoing basis
    4. Setup AD on Azure or use some other method to synchronise passwords; or, tell users they have another account to remember
    5. Make sure staff and students don't start actually using Office 365 instead of Google Apps.
    6. Explain to staff and students that their documents will reside in different places depending on what app they are using, completely confusing everyone involved and increasing our support requests infinitely just for the sake of using these apps?

I think we will take a pass on that, because as they say time is money, except more time is one thing you can't buy no matter how much money you have, and the amount of time this would consume just to use 3 apps makes it a very expensive exercise for us.

For those schools who are using Office 365, it's great. For the 90% that aren't - MS has done nothing but frustrate them here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Microsoft unveils Office for iPad, free for reading and presenting

@SYNACK - it appears you've removed your post, but I was being generous with 10% market share for Office 365 in schools (worldwide). The latest stats I could find showed Office 365 with a 22% market share compared to 78% for Google Apps in education.

http://blog.useractivation.com/2013/...ype-june-2013/

However, this is only looking at the market share vs. each other and NOT the overall market share, so it is excluding every OTHER email system in existence including on-site Exchange. In reality 10% is probably several times the market share of Office 365 in Education. Unless you have some other stats available showing otherwise?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    That's great and all, but what about the schools that aren't using Office 365? For the schools running their own internal Exchange, Zimbra, Google Apps or something else this requirement isn't all that fantastic even if they have an EES.

If we wanted to use Office for the iPad for anything other than viewing/presenting (and really what's the point in that when apps like QuickOffice, Acronis Access, and iWork can already do this, plus edit the files) - we would need to:

1. Have an EES (we do)
    2. Request Student Advantage
    3. Setup Office 365 accounts for all users, on an ongoing basis
    4. Setup AD on Azure or use some other method to synchronise passwords; or, tell users they have another account to remember
    5. Make sure staff and students don't start actually using Office 365 instead of Google Apps.
    6. Explain to staff and students that their documents will reside in different places depending on what app they are using, completely confusing everyone involved and increasing our support requests infinitely just for the sake of using these apps?

I think we will take a pass on that, because as they say time is money, except more time is one thing you can't buy no matter how much money you have, and the amount of time this would consume just to use 3 apps makes it a very expensive exercise for us.

For those schools who are using Office 365, it's great. For the 90% that aren't - MS has done nothing but frustrate them here.
    I absolutely agree with you and this. I feel, for us, it would have perhaps been more palatable if there was also an option to buy each app for say up to £15-20 each from the AppStore which would allow us to just pump them out as we would with any paid App. But I guess this doesn't fit with Microsoft's cloud obsession.

Thank Post
    Apps sold are subject to a levee of 30% to Apple.

A free app that required a subscription to a service enables Microsoft to not pass any revenue onto Apple.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    Apps sold are subject to a levee of 30% to Apple.

A free app that required a subscription to a service enables Microsoft to not pass any revenue onto Apple.
    It's been widely reported that Microsoft are still having to pay Apple the 30% cut on the Office Apps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast