+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
IT News Thread, Microsoft unveils Office for iPad, free for reading and presenting in Other News; Originally Posted by tj2419 Can only get powerpoint in VPP I have added the VPP links for each app to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Can only get powerpoint in VPP
    I have added the VPP links for each app to my first post now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Managed to find them. I am guessing they are keeping them from the search to avoid the mad rush.

I got the links from here if anybody else is looking.

Where To Download Microsoft Office For iPad
    There might be a mad rush to download these apps, but once users realise they barely work without an Office 365 subscription...game over.

Microsoft is estimating that they will add 4 Billion in revenue with the release of Office or the iPad. I imagine they would if they worked reasonably well without an Office 365 account. They could even tie it to a OneDrive account and offer 5GB of free space like iWork for the iPad and iCloud and that would be fine. But, requiring an Office 365 subscription - FAIL!

Thank Post
    Err, so these aren't going to work with a standard Office 365 for Education subscription...come on Microsoft.

Thank Post
    So an Office 365 Education A2 or just being able to buy each app for say £5 would have been fine. But no, MS want us to spend £4000 on ESS, then another £12,000 a year just for Office 365 so we can edit Office docs on our iPads? Thanks for nothing MS!

Thank Post
    Ah that's really crap! I would of liked this to have been just a paid for app, we don't use Office 365 so I guess we will be sticking with Pages, Keynote & Numbers then! Really disappointed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    So an Office 365 Education A2 or just being able to buy each app for say £5 would have been fine. But no, MS want us to spend £4000 on ESS, then another £12,000 a year just for Office 365 so we can edit Office docs on our iPads? Thanks for nothing MS!
    Those numbers are interesting, I'd like to know where you've got them from?

If you have 100 staff then to licence them for Office 365 ProPlus for Faculty through Office 365 Education would cost (100*£1.70)*12 = £2040.

If you licence all of your staff for Office 365 ProPlus then you could conceivably remove Office from your EES agreement and just keep Windows and Core CAL. (I don't know how much money that would save, but speak to your reseller).

Let's put this in context. If you wanted to roll out the full Office suite that installs across PC and Mac on up to 5 devices per user (etc. etc.) and you didn't have Student Advantage at your disposal then you'd be looking at licensing every user.

If you take an average secondary school that has say 100 staff and 900 pupils then you're looking at:

(100 * £1.70) * 12 = £2,040

AND

(900 * £1.27) * 12 = £13,716

Which gives you a grand total of £15,756.

I think when you factor in Student Advantage (i.e. saving £13,716) it's a pretty good deal.

Not to mention the fact that the iPad apps are free to review and present... so it's not like they can't use the apps at all. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to pay for some functionality.

(Caveat: I'm quoting the prices that are showing in my Office 365 Education admin portal right now, without any discount that might be available through a volume license agreement. I'm also assuming that just Office 365 ProPlus for Faculty is enough to qualify you for Student Advantage. You'd need to confirm all of this with your re-seller to be 100% sure. I'm not a licensing expert... ).

(P.S: You don't need to run Office 365 for Exchange Online, Lync Online or SharePoint Online in order to be able to take either Office 365 ProPlus for Faculty or Student Advantage. You can sign up just to access the Office 365 ProPlus benefits and continue to use your existing mail, UC and collaboration platforms.)

(P.P.S: Even if you still had to pay for Office through your EES or OVS-ES VLs, you're still only looking at an additional £2K in this example to add the functionality for staff. I guess it really depends on your usage scenarios but that's still not very much. How many of your users both have an iPad and would need to be creating content on it; given that they're not likely to only have an iPad? You could choose just to enable the "full use" experience for the subset of staff that actually need it which brings cost down even further...)
    Last edited by jamesbmarshall; 28th March 2014 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Those numbers are interesting, I'd like to know where you've got them from?
    From here Compare Office 365 Education plans - Office.com

We have 600 pupils, so £1.90 x 600 = £1140 x that by 12 months and you get £13000 and i have not added in staff yet.

When i first saw it i thought maybe now is a good time to start seriously looking at the cloud maybe get all the kids to use One Drive. But at that cost i just do not see it happening. We have ESS so have paid for Office site wide, why can we not have it on our iPads?

uke

Thank Post
    Someone will correct me, but I think if you have Office on EES licence you qualify for Student Advantage, so you do not have to buy any licences for the Children, just the staff...
    And if you did not have the EES licence, then buying the staff licences would qualify you for Student Advantage anyway (as I understand), so in the example that James gave it would cost you £2,040

Thank Post
    I take it we need to setup Azure Active Directory too if we want single sign on?

Thank Post
    I take it we need to setup Azure Active Directory too if we want single sign on?
    If you want either Office 365 ProPlus for Faculty or Student Advantage you need to set up an Office 365 Education tenant (and therefore, Windows Azure AD which is the ID framework underneath).

You don't need to deploy SSO (Deploying Office 365 Education? You don't need single sign-on, and here's why!) to enable those services. You can literally just upload a CSV file, or if you have some spare server capacity deploy DirSync + Password Sync.

It is easy. Honestly.

Thank Post
    From here Compare Office 365 Education plans - Office.com

We have 600 pupils, so £1.90 x 600 = £1140 x that by 12 months and you get £13000 and i have not added in staff yet.

When i first saw it i thought maybe now is a good time to start seriously looking at the cloud maybe get all the kids to use One Drive. But at that cost i just do not see it happening. We have ESS so have paid for Office site wide, why can we not have it on our iPads?
    Let me correct your maths!

(600 * £0) * 12 = £0 with Student Advantage! (See: Browse by Tags - UK Education Cloud Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

(600 * £0) * 12 = £0 with Student Advantage! (See: Browse by Tags - UK Education Cloud Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs)
    "...provided institutions meet the following criteria: 1. Institution has an EES agreement or an OVS-ES agreement 2. Licenses 100% of Faculty/Staff organization wide for Office"

There are no free lunches.

13. Thanks to seawolf from:

m19cpb (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post

So if i contact my reseller of EES i can just ask for Student Advantage to be added on at no cost?

Thank Post
    So if i contact my reseller of EES i can just ask for Student Advantage to be added on at no cost?
    Quackers - Student Advantage is free!! Just call your EES reseller and ask for the activation code and you wont be invoiced or told a cost.

Thank Post
    Yes, thats what we did.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast