+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Students should use Wikipedia: founder in Other News; Students should be allowed to use the online encyclopedia Wikipedia as it has become more accurate and trustworthy, its founder ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Students should use Wikipedia: founder

Students should be allowed to use the online encyclopedia Wikipedia as it has become more accurate and trustworthy, its founder Jimmy Wales said in comments published by BBC Online Friday.

"You can ban kids from listening to rock 'n' roll music, but they're going to do it anyway," he was quoted as telling the Online Information conference in London this week.

"It's the same with information and it's a bad educator that bans their students from reading Wikipedia."

Wales's comments come amid continued questions over the accuracy of the site, where online users can write and update entries, compared with other, more authoritative paid-for sources like the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

He had previously said Wikipedia lacked the authority for academic work, because of often unsourced, biased or inaccurate information.

Students who copied information from the site deserved to be marked down, he told the BBC in 2005.

But new fact-checking procedures introduced since then, including real-time peer reviews, had made Wikipedia more trustworthy, he said.

"There is no substitute for peer critique," he told delegates.

As long as an article contained accurate citations, he saw "no problem" with students using it as a reference work, although he added that academics would "probably be better off doing their own research".
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/2007120...e0bba4a_1.html

Thank Post

Re: Students should use Wikipedia: founder

I saw that today... Nearly fell off my chair...

I seem to remember my other half telling me that if anyone used quotes from wikipedia they'd get an F' unless they could back up the wiki's information with 10 additional published (as in traditionally published, ya know, on paper!) sources..

QED Wikipedia might be a useful pointer but don't quote or cite it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread