+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Google Android Wear – Android for Smart Watches and Wearables in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts

Google Android Wear – Android for Smart Watches and Wearables

The smart watches running 'Android Wear' from Motorola and LG look really good (particularly Motorola's). See the videos and links below for further details.

Source: Official Google Blog

Most of us are rarely without our smartphones in hand. These powerful supercomputers keep us connected to the world and the people we love. But we're only at the beginning; we've barely scratched the surface of what’s possible with mobile technology. That’s why we're so excited about wearables—they understand the context of the world around you, and you can interact with them simply and efficiently, with just a glance or a spoken word.

Today we’re announcing Android Wear, a project that extends Android to wearables. And we're starting with the most familiar wearable—watches. Going well beyond the mere act of just telling you the time, a range of new devices along with an expansive catalogue of apps will give you:

• Useful information when you need it most. Android Wear shows you info and suggestions you need, right when you need them. The wide variety of Android applications means you’ll receive the latest posts and updates from your favorite social apps, chats from your preferred messaging apps, notifications from shopping, news and photography apps, and more.
    • Straight answers to spoken questions. Just say “Ok Google” to ask questions, like how many calories are in an avocado, what time your flight leaves, and the score of the game. Or say “Ok Google” to get stuff done, like calling a taxi, sending a text, making a restaurant reservation or setting an alarm.
    • The ability to better monitor your health and fitness. Hit your exercise goals with reminders and fitness summaries from Android Wear. Your favorite fitness apps can give you real-time speed, distance and time information on your wrist for your run, cycle or walk.
    • Your key to a multiscreen world. Android Wear lets you access and control other devices from your wrist. Just say “Ok Google” to fire up a music playlist on your phone, or cast your favorite movie to your TV. There’s a lot of possibilities here so we’re eager to see what developers build.

Motorola Announces Moto 360, A Round Smart Watch Powered By Android Wear Launching This Summer « Android Police

LG Announces Its First Android Wear-Powered Device, The G Watch « Android Police

Last edited by Arthur; 18th March 2014 at 07:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That Motorola watch is the first genuinely nice looking smartwatch I've seen. The higher-model Pebble looked alright (the entry one was still a bit plasticky) but that one there looks like a real watch.

Still not convinced of the need for them, though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

4. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Joanne (6th October 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I want one because as an IT person, I should be seen to have all the latest technology at all times.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I searched for "smartwatch" before posting but there was no mention of that word in your thread, so it didn't show. Sorry!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I want one because as an IT person, I should be seen to have all the latest technology at all times.
    Ive got one.... it helps with the stereotype!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just wish that I could afford one!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread