+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, EU Finally agrees on single smartphone charger socket in Other News; At last: BBC News - Europe backs call for universal smartphone charger It's been on the cards for some time, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries

EU Finally agrees on single smartphone charger socket

At last: BBC News - Europe backs call for universal smartphone charger
    It's been on the cards for some time, but at last they have agreed to press on with it.

The design of charger being favoured uses a Micro USB connector - a format used on many handsets and other devices already.
    Apple has yet to respond to the proposals as it is one of the few manufacturers that produces gadgets with proprietary power ports. However, it was one of the original signatories of the agreement Europe reached with manufacturers to produce the chargers.
    I just hope they allow for future evolutions of USB types!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    If they want to go a step further, why not standardise notebook chargers too? And why they're at it, why not mains plugs?

How many times have you ordered some hardware, only to have it bundled with both UK and Euro plugs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    How many times have you ordered some hardware, only to have it bundled with both UK and Euro plugs?
    We should set up a trade agreement with European schools.

They can have our EU power cables, we'll take their UK ones.

4. Thanks to X-13 from:

vikpaw (1st June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    We should set up a trade agreement with European schools.

They can have our EU power cables, we'll take their UK ones.
    From a manufacturer point of view, it makes sense to have everything the same - less weight and less cost bundling two types of cable. These days most of Europe to my knowledge is 240v and most newer products are also earthed, so it's only the pin layout which is different.

I think there already is a law/regulation that a proper native cable must be supplied and that adapters are not permitted - otherwise I suspect manufacturers would do this to save on weight and costs.
    Last edited by Michael; 14th March 2014 at 01:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the plugs can be changed, but Europe uses a common 2 pin plug for the most part, and the UK uses the 3 pin. If anyone were to change, it would be us. Also, I can imagine "European" versions of Apple products going through the roof on the open market unless they change the entire product range (which will annoy people as they have to rebuy their adapters etc)

Thank Post
    Surely (logically) this will apply to new products moving forward, rather than old/existing products? Eventually everyone will in turn change their mobile.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wonder what apple will do? They are just about the only company with a proprietary interface these days. Everyone else uses Micro USB

Thank Post
    I don't understand why new houses don't have those fancy everything plugs in them that you get in some hotels, which take, UK/ EU/ US/ Japanese plugs without adapters, get them everywhere then we can all plug anything in in any country, but that would be expensive to implement and to much common sense for msot.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Wonder what apple will do? They are just about the only company with a proprietary interface these days. Everyone else uses Micro USB
    Last time I checked the agreement allowed for adapters. They will probably just make a micro USB (F) - Lightning (M) cable adapter (that only supplies power and no data, in all likelihood).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cant do that, they need to provide an actual charging port, not a port with an adapter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Last time I checked the agreement allowed for adapters. They will probably just make a micro USB (F) - Lightning (M) cable adapter (that only supplies power and no data, in all likelihood).
    Thats the current agreement, not this new one I *think*
    My biggest issue is the glacial pace this will be implemented, the landscape could be very very different in a few years when it actually comes into force holding things back. They should just make QI/wireless the standard all phones for example adopt in 5 years time. No problem with data and chargers can be everywhere and apple gets to use their own data connector if they want. Apple could be nice though and give their connector royalty free (its a very good port fyi) but I hold on to that hope alongside a lottery ticket and I think the jackpot has higher odds of success.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I don't understand why new houses don't have those fancy everything plugs in them that you get in some hotels, which take, UK/ EU/ US/ Japanese plugs without adapters, get them everywhere then we can all plug anything in in any country, but that would be expensive to implement and to much common sense for msot.
    Because I don't have an outlet on my kitchen table and all my other sockets are at floor level. That and the tedchnology will have moved on in a few years time and we'll all be living on the moon and using hover cars

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does this agreement mean "the entire thing, plug to phone" or does it mean "the charging device", in which case can we not standardise on chargers with USB sockets on them, and let phone manufacturers choose whatever USB->phone cable they want?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Does this agreement mean "the entire thing, plug to phone" or does it mean "the charging device", in which case can we not standardise on chargers with USB sockets on them, and let phone manufacturers choose whatever USB->phone cable they want?
    Currently every phone has to work with usb chargers (wall plug end) I believe, this would change the phone connector part I *think* which tbh will only really affect apple and any newly developed connectors in the future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Think it means the plug to the phone. Most will still opt for the USB socket however I would have thought.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast