+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
IT News Thread, EU Finally agrees on single smartphone charger socket in Other News; Originally Posted by ZeroHour Currently every phone has to work with usb chargers (wall plug end) I believe, this would ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Currently every phone has to work with usb chargers (wall plug end) I believe, this would change the phone connector part I *think* which tbh will only really affect apple and any newly developed connectors in the future.
    Really think this would be a dumb move to be honest. Controlling what connectors a phone has can and will stifle innovation. If this had happened 5 years ago, things like HDMI output from phones wouldn't have been able to happen, as an example.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe this has only just gone through. When they started talking about this, finding a charger actually was an issue - I think it was brought up before the first iPhone, for crying out loud.

They finally get round to it and the market has more or less standardised on Micro-USB anyway. All the anti-Europe spiel going round these days winds me up, but tardy announcements like this don't really help, do they?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I can't believe this has only just gone through. When they started talking about this, finding a charger actually was an issue - I think it was brought up before the first iPhone, for crying out loud.

They finally get round to it and the market has more or less standardised on Micro-USB anyway. All the anti-Europe spiel going round these days winds me up, but tardy announcements like this don't really help, do they?
    The industry (except Apple) agreed to standardise voluntarily ages ago. This is just the EU now trying to codify it into law.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Really think this would be a dumb move to be honest. Controlling what connectors a phone has can and will stifle innovation. If this had happened 5 years ago, things like HDMI output from phones wouldn't have been able to happen, as an example.
    I was thinking the same.

Let's just say - for hypothetics - somebody makes a new kind of connector that charges faster, or somehow facilitates better rate of data transfer. Under this law, they can't actually use it unless they can incorporate it into a MicroUSB? Maybe - no matter what they do - this connector NEEDS to have a minimum of 7 pins. There's just no way - for whatever reason - they can drop it down to the 5 required by MicroUSB. What do?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    a secondary port, nobody is stopping anyone from having a secondary port at all. My phone could accommodate one with ease, as could an iphone.

Thank Post
    Not without making it bulkier and more expensive (Read: Less sellable/profitable)

I would have thought "Is able to be converted into $standardConnector, and is supplied with an adaptor" would have been better.. But I guess they are trying to cut down on waste electronics, so that wouldn't have helped.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    a secondary port, nobody is stopping anyone from having a secondary port at all. My phone could accommodate one with ease, as could an iphone.
    Yeah, that means they then have to make changes to the phone itself, making it bigger or uglier.

Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I would have thought "Is able to be converted into $standardConnector, and is supplied with an adaptor" would have been better.. But I guess they are trying to cut down on waste electronics, so that wouldn't have helped.

How about a system where you don't actually get a 'charger' with the device at all. Instead, you get a connector akin to a universal laptop power supply adapter (you know the type - goes from something like a 2 pin to the actual connector on the laptop). The waste would be almost entirely eliminated then.

And they can include their own data cable too.
    Last edited by localzuk; 14th March 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Let's just say - for hypothetics - somebody makes a new kind of connector that charges faster, or somehow facilitates better rate of data transfer. Under this law, they can't actually use it unless they can incorporate it into a MicroUSB?
    Someone is already making a new connector (USB Type-C) for smartphones, tablets and PCs.

The USB 3.0 Promoter Group has began working on a next generation USB connection that will break compatibility with existing connections in order to help in its integration in our increasingly thin and light devices. The new connection will be thinner but of similar size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B connector, it will also be reversible and support scalable power charging. (Source)
    The existing Micro USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports are rubbish!
    Last edited by Arthur; 14th March 2014 at 05:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The industry (except Apple) agreed to standardise voluntarily ages ago. This is just the EU now trying to codify it into law.
    According to the article, Apple were one of the first to sign up?

Apple has yet to respond to the proposals as it is one of the few manufacturers that produces gadgets with proprietary power ports. However, it was one of the original signatories of the agreement Europe reached with manufacturers to produce the chargers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think making wireless charging the standard. That way you never wonder again, you could then ignore the connector for data completely. It would also spur a lot of investment into making wireless less heavy (the coil) and faster. No cables to get caught up on and you could build charges into desks etc with a basic case (if in public) to prevent grab theft.

Apple did agree to the terms only after they changed it not to mandate usb end on the phone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I still think making wireless charging the standard.
    It's a shame there isn't a single wireless charging standard. We currently have Qi, Rezence and Powermat.

Thank Post
    APPLE ARE JUST PURSUING AN OLD USA PROFIT SCHEME. MAKE IT DIFFERENT- KEEP IT EXPENSIVE- MORE MONEY TO APPLE AND MORE TAX MONEY TO UNCLE SAM. SO USA TAXES US. THIS IS ONE AREA I CAN SEE SOME USEFUL PURPOSE IN THE EU. I QUITE LIKE THE IPHONE AND IPAD COMBO WORKING IN CONJUNCTION WITH SMALL BUSINESS SERVER BUT THE EXPENSIVE CABLES DO NOT WORK WELL AND ARE FRAGILE SO, EU, SPEED IT UP AND APPLE, DECIDE IF YOU WANT OUR BUSINESS OR NOT. I JUST HATE THE AMOUNT OF TIME I HAVE SPENT ON CABLES, AS WELL AS THE MONEY. AS I WRITE I DO NOT HAVE ONE LIGHTNING (???) CABLE WORKING OUT OF ABOUT 20 MIXED ORIGINAL AND THIRD PARTY. MORE LIGHTNING STRIKE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by akwiom View Post
    The expensive cables do not work well and are fragile
    You could try the Biro spring trick to protect the cables from getting damaged or buy some third-party braided cables.

@akwiom Is your Caps Lock key stuck?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Cablebug is quite good for this

15. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Arthur (31st May 2014)

Thank Post
    Those Cablebugs look very useful. Thanks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12