+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
IT News Thread, The Tablet Memory Mark-up Scandal in Other News; Originally Posted by localzuk Why do people *need* that much space on a phone? I think I've got something like ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Why do people *need* that much space on a phone?
    I think I've got something like 80GB+ of music - and we're talking 128kbps MP3s for the most part, gathered over the last dozen years, I'm not being weird with FLAC or anything - and whilst I have all that happily synced to Google Play Music, my hometown has genuinely zero 3G. I don't mean "in my house" or "in my garden if I'm too close to the hedge", I mean in the whole town, so if I want to be able to listen to an album while I'm out and about - or even mowing the lawn, as the wireless doesn't quite cover the whole garden - I need the music stored locally. Sadly a 16GB Nexus 4 isn't exactly brimming with free space

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I think I've got something like 80GB+ of music - and we're talking 128kbps MP3s for the most part, gathered over the last dozen years, I'm not being weird with FLAC or anything - and whilst I have all that happily synced to Google Play Music, my hometown has genuinely zero 3G. I don't mean "in my house" or "in my garden if I'm too close to the hedge", I mean in the whole town, so if I want to be able to listen to an album while I'm out and about - or even mowing the lawn, as the wireless doesn't quite cover the whole garden - I need the music stored locally. Sadly a 16GB Nexus 4 isn't exactly brimming with free space
    Genuine question - Why not have an MP3 player?
    Battery life in itself just isn't good enough to use a phone as an MP3 player AND a phone AND a web browser AND everything else.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Battery life in itself just isn't good enough to use a phone as an MP3 player AND a phone AND a web browser AND everything else.
    I beg to differ. The one thing I don't use my phone for is - phone calls! I don't want to carry around 3-4 different devices just incase I might need one of them. My phone is my MP3 player, my Sat Nav, my digital camera, E-mail and web on the move. It's a single device, fits in my pocket and is always with me - just incase I need one of the functions.

Better than finding you need your camera but have left it at home!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have got a 60GB MP3 player still lying around somewhere, but it's bulkier, with a less pleasant interface, and is a right pain in the bum about its battery - it always thinks its battery is almost drained when first turned on, and if you can keep it going for a minute or two it's ok but it's a nightmare getting through those two minutes and blah blah blah...

Basically, I have a mostly living MP3 player and absolutely no money, so can't justify buying a new one. Using my phone is much easier, and if I'm near WiFi (often am) it's fine. Battery life on my phone is still remarkably good anyway - I have about 30-40% left at the end of most days, probably because with no 3G, I don't use it that much to browse!

Thank Post
    I use one of these (albeit the 4GB version) - It's simple, robust, and importantly, has a MicroSD slot. My old one, as I'm on my second now, lasted 7 years, multiple drops/kicks/bangs and even going through the washing machine! I replaced it for another one a few months ago.. 40. And it's battery life is much better than a phone. Also if I get mugged, I only lose one device, not two

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use one of these (albeit the 4GB version) - It's simple, robust, and importantly, has a MicroSD slot. My old one, as I'm on my second now, lasted 7 years, multiple drops/kicks/bangs and even going through the washing machine! I replaced it for another one a few months ago.. 40. And it's battery life is much better than a phone. Also if I get mugged, I only lose one device, not two
    4GB is even less space than I have free on my phone now

Chances are, sad as it is, I'll never get a discrete MP3 player again - by the time I have the money spare, and nothing else to spend it on, I'll be a couple more phones down the line and storage will hopefully be plentiful - or 3G will have crept its way through the skies of Lincolnshire, you never know!

Thank Post
    4GB is even less space than I have free on my phone now
    It's simple, robust, and importantly, has a MicroSD slot.
    ;D Expandable memory for the win.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ;D Expandable memory for the win.
    I blame "it's ten minutes to the weekend" for my lack of reading comprehension...

Thank Post
    I blame "it's ten minutes to the weekend" for my lack of reading comprehension...
    I'll allow it.

Be very careful if you plan to get one of these phones!
    Unfortunately digging into it reveals that the phone only supports Band 3. Word is that Three, o2 and Vodaphone all run on Band 20, which the OnePlus One doesn't support. Can't confirm about other networks, but the initial information I've found speculates that there'll be serious data/4G issues in western countries with this device. Apparently (according to a Taiwanese friend of mine) Band 3 is the band the majority of the Asian providers use.
    I can't confirm any of these yet, it's 'grapevine' information, but I recommend anyone serious about getting one does a lot of digging first.

I wonder if they'll modify it to better reach the European market? I hope so.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 28th April 2014 at 08:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Unfortunately digging into it reveals that the phone only supports Band 3.
    The phone itself supports bands: 1, 3, 4, 7, 17, 38 & 40. This means it would work on Three (1,800MHz only) and EE.

Last edited by Arthur; 28th April 2014 at 11:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Done.
    Well fttc is getting there, my dad just ordered

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The phone itself supports bands: 1, 3, 4, 7, 17, 38 & 40. This means it would work on Three (1,800MHz only) and EE.

Thank you for that, @Arthur - my information was mostly coming from others and nothing from 'the horses mouth'. I hadn't gotten round to doing more digging for myself yet.

Thank Post
    What a surprise that apple top that list

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123