+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
IT News Thread, The Tablet Memory Mark-up Scandal in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm actually surprised Which? consider this a "news" story! really? Next they'll be telling us the sky is blue!

Playing devils advocate - When storage capcity is the only real differentiator (sp?) between models what are manufacturers supposed to do? Make one model with the highest possible memory capacity and leave it at that? Have a £16 price gap between two models in a range (who'd buy the cheaper model, what would be the point)? Sell the lower memory model at a loss? Provide SDHC card slots for cheaper end user expansion (I'm looking at you Apple)?
    I've never understood the need to offer multiple memory options.

"I spend teh moneyz I wnat all teh memoryz"

How much can you design your device to take... Put that much in, price it accordingly, customers either want the device or don't and will pay up accordingly. You simplify your marketing, and your manufacturing.

These days I would be expecting 64gb from anything other than a basic phone, and yet the manufacturers insist on bringing them to market with 4gb and a slot or 16/32 no slot and a price premium.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    These days I would be expecting 64gb from anything other than a basic phone, and yet the manufacturers insist on bringing them to market with 4gb and a slot or 16/32 no slot and a price premium.
    I'm perfectly happy with 4GB internal as-standard and an SD card slot in theory. The bit that messes it about is when apps can't natively be stored on the SD card (even though the majority of them actually work if you force them to move over). If that 4GB fully supports the operating system (and has adequate space for any upgrades that might be pushed out by the supplier/network in the future) then can we not just let the consumer decide how much memory they need?

3. Thanks to Garacesh from:

Oaktech (24th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have yet to fill the space on any phone I've had - and I use them heavily. I've now had 3 android phones over the last 5 or so years, and never swapped the MicroSD cards in the first 2, and my current phone has no expansion capabilities.

Why do people *need* that much space on a phone?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Playing devils advocate - When storage capcity is the only real differentiator (sp?) between models what are manufacturers supposed to do?
    The obvious thing to do would be to give the base model 32GB of storage, the next model up 64GB and the top-end model 128GB. The prices could either remain the same or be lowered and manufacturers would still make plenty of money.

Provide SDHC card slots for cheaper end user expansion.
    SD cards have their own set of problems though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I've got 4gb on board my Huawei P1, it's filled with apps and the 2 beefy OS updates i've had... I've got a 32gb card which has 12gb of map data for Maverick on it, 8 gb of gym music, 400mb of tapped out and about 2gb of photos.

Thats why I need that much space on a phone. I also use it to watch TV when I'm away from home and the buffering for some of the streaming services demand a significant wadge of storage.

Thank Post
    I have yet to fill the space on any phone I've had - and I use them heavily. I've now had 3 android phones over the last 5 or so years, and never swapped the MicroSD cards in the first 2, and my current phone has no expansion capabilities.
    I've used the same SD card across three phones now, so nearly 5 years. At 8GB, I should probably get a new one soon, but I still have difficulty filling it. I'm not a family man so I don't take a lot of photos of my kids etc (which seems to be the most common way to eat up smartphone storage). I'm a firm believer of not using your phone as an mp3 player to save battery life, so I have a separate physical device for that, any photographs/screenshots I take get transferred to my PC pretty quickly or I decide 'meh' and delete them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The obvious thing to do would be to give the base model 32GB of storage, the next model up 64GB and the top-end model 128GB. The prices could either remain the same or be lowered and manufacturers would still make plenty of money.

SD cards have their own set of problems though.
    Bit of a dilemma. For the extra £6 (if priced at-cost) I'd buy the version with more memory (probably the 64GB one), even though I definitely don't even need 32GB. Thing is, if they priced memory at-cost or near-cost, there's no reason to produce multiple different handsets, which means no profit-whoring on overpriced memory upgrades. I suspect a large portion of their revenues come from this.

Also, what're the 'own set of problems' that SD cards have? I can't say I've experienced any issues across phone and tablet.

I've got 4gb on board my Huawei P1, it's filled with apps and the 2 beefy OS updates i've had... I've got a 32gb card which has 12gb of map data for Maverick on it, 8 gb of gym music, 400mb of tapped out and about 2gb of photos.

Thats why I need that much space on a phone. I also use it to watch TV when I'm away from home and the buffering for some of the streaming services demand a significant wadge of storage.
    Proof that limited internal storage and an SD card slot works just fine

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post

Proof that limited internal storage and an SD card slot works just fine
    I limit myself... Trust me, if I had the space, I'd have an offline copy of the internet in there!

Thank Post
    Yes, but if you really wanted to do that, you could go and buy a bigger SD card.
    (Not one big enough to backup the internet, mind you, but you get my point.)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've never understood the need to offer multiple memory options.
    It's marketing, and appealing to the widest demographic. One customer might be put off by paying extra, be it only £16, for 64gb when they don't even need 16gb. Another might be put off by no 64gb model being available.

Multiple memory options make sense, the problem comes with pricing them too closely as you then end up pricing lower models out of the market.

My phone performs two essential functions, for me - MP3 player and sat nav. Sat nav isn't so bad on memory - but we are talking locally stored maps, not Google "cloud based" Maps. For music, I wan't al my music available all the time. I use MP3 for widest compatibility. Prefer 320kbps encoding, etc. I have over 5000 songs, and growing. My 64Gb iPhone has 12Gb left available! I'm seriously considering a 128Gb SDHC witht he next phone (future proofing).

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Playing devils advocate - from a manufacturers point of view. There's a market for these different storage options. But reflecting the true cost differential will destroy that market. Only having the highest option, at the best price, might be off putting to customers who don't need that much storage.

I'm not saying I agree with the markups being given. It's just hard to see how companies are supposed to differentiate between two/three/four otherwise identical products?

Personally I'd favour the lowest memory config approach, supply an SDHC slot, and use processor and screen size as the model differentiators. But then I'm not in business and don't have to answer to shareholders...

Thank Post
    Yes, but if you really wanted to do that, you could go and buy a bigger SD card.
    (Not one big enough to backup the internet, mind you, but you get my point.)
    I do, and I could... but this phone only reads the first 32gb of it. I tried with the 64gb card from my Missus' tablet!

Roll on new phone time in September!

Thank Post
    Also worth remembering you don't always get 16gb from your 16gb phone. Remember ppl moaning on watchdog because their brand new galaxy s4 stuffed full of crap from Samsung only had 11gb of usable space (might have been less can't remember) so when you buy a 16gb phone and although it has 16gb 5gb is taken up by non-uninstallable software I can see the need for more

Thank Post
    I do, and I could... but this phone only reads the first 32gb of it. I tried with the 64gb card from my Missus' tablet!
    Well, that's just stoopid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Also worth remembering you don't always get 16gb from your 16gb phone. Remember ppl moaning on watchdog because their brand new galaxy s4 stuffed full of crap from Samsung only had 11gb of usable space (might have been less can't remember) so when you buy a 16gb phone and although it has 16gb 5gb is taken up by non-uninstallable software I can see the need for more
    This happens to phones, laptops, anything that comes with an operating system. It does annoy me to no end that you can't normally uninstall crapware. You can disable it, and I think that's as-good-as uninstalled, but it still takes up the space.

Thank Post
    Phone Smash - OnePlus.net

Rats. The phone-smashing contest only includes current flagship phones, and thus not my old HTC Desire that I don't use and would be willing to break just for funsies.
    If anyone gets invites to share somewhere along the line, I would like I can compensate with +reps and various amateur services like graphic design and descriptive writing

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got an iPhone 4S (too old?) that I'd happily smash up. Unfortunatly the prize is a 16Gb phone and no SDHC slot. Drat!

Thank Post
    Got an iPhone 4S (too old?) that I'd happily smash up. Unfortunatly the prize is a 16Gb phone and no SDHC slot. Drat!
    Yes. Only iPhone 5's (of various editions) count. It's current, flagslip, 'big name' phones they're challenging you to break for one, since that's what they're trying to do, take on the big names.

It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 25th April 2014 at 01:50 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast